Wtf happened......

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Smokey, Dec 5, 2012.

1. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I would argue that Alberta is the bubble. An oily coloured bubble. I travel for work a fair bit and most places I visit are more like Halifax than Calgary or Edmonton. The place closest to Calgary or Edmonton was the Bay area in California during the '90's if you want to talk bubbles.

Ottawa used to be a bit of a bubble during the late 90's and into the 2000's, then Nortel "happened" and more recently Harper cut a ton of federal jobs. Now Ottawa is worse off than Halifax as far as a bright future is concerned (they will still be OK because of that big clock tower that sits in the middle of their downtown). Ottawa is part of my travels for work - I have a ton of friends originally from Nova Scotia who live there now. It always used to be, "why'd you move back to Nova Scotia?" when I visited. Now, all I hear is, "I keep hearing all these good things about Halifax." In the last year, I've had 2 friends make the move back (with their young families). I moved back about 8 years ago and in that time, we were the only ones in my group of friends who made the move.

So, yes, you can head off to Alberta for a better life for you and your family and that is just fine. You will have a good time and a great life, I'm sure; just... don't shit on Halifax. It's not dying; with the shipbuilding contract, and as Big Al pointed out, the recent announcements from IBM and contracting firms, bigger things are coming to Halifax than you seem to realize. There is still a bunch of back-ass-edry going on, but there is more of a voice getting that to change than there ever has been.

I love living here and have this optimistic feeling that we're on the cusp on Halifax really charging out and changing to that vibrant city we know it can be.

2. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Stop making me think we would get along if we sat down for a beer.

3. LMAC

_

Ottawa isn't as bad off as you think it is, Yes Federal "jobs" were cut but most of those were vacant and hadn't been filled in years. Anyone i know who got a letter stayed in the same job or moved to a new one, its mostly smoke and mirrors.

4. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I guess it depends on who you talk to. Even if not as many jobs weren't lost as were talked about in the cuts, it still caused an uncertainty in the job market for Ottawa, which then affects the housing market, etc. etc. Like I said, Ottawa will always recover, but it is not as much of a hot spot for jobs as it once was regarded. I still love the place - it was really tough to leave when we did.

5. LMAC

_

Yes in that aspect its true, the housing market has slowed a bit, but you have to admit it was crazy here for a while.

6. Bean

Breasts

So very true. I would have to agree...we have stuck it out even though the bf and I could both do well somewhere else but neither of us are on ei/welfare nor are we making minimum wage. It can work out and it will work out...in time. I do believe that about Halifax.

7. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I'm happy living in a bubble where I know everybody I need to know. I've made a personal network over the years where pretty much anything I need I have someone to call. I've done business with people in Calgary, Toronto, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and NFLD, and the only people that are easier to deal with than Nova Scotians are Newfies. I wouldn't trade my life in NS for twice the pay out west.

8. Wayne

Well said and agree 100%

9. Mitch

me and my lady have talked 100 times about going out west for a few years, but we are both settled into fantastic jobs, with pensions/great benefits making decent money so we have no plans of leaving the maritimes

and after I lost my old man and I was 3000 km away feeling helpless i was never the same again living out there. I want to be able to see my family any day/hour I want, and nothing will ever change that.

10. Cooper

FTP

Didn't you move to Calgary? lol

11. Bean

Breasts

Family is honestly the main reason I haven't made the move. Same with the bf. His mother is not well and my grandfather is not well. There is no way at this stage in our lives, we could imagine leaving. And as Mitch said, we are both fortunate enough to have great jobs!!

12. Cooper

FTP

If live in Hali could be exactly like it is here, we'd move home in an instant. I'd prefer to be home if it was an even playing field.

13. Big Al

Sure I did, and I knew these skeletons would come out at some point. I was there for less than a year, and it was motivated by getting my foot in the door at a large accounting firm (which is challenging in NS without knowing someone or doing a co-op term). So yes, I did live in Calgary, but had intentions the entire time of moving back, I had a job interview here in Halifax, in the summer (less than 6 months after moving to Calgary), and started here the following January (they wanted me sooner, but I wanted to ski for a couple weeks).

So yes, I moved out, and moved back, the only thing I miss is the mountains, I wouldn't trade anything else. And sure I might make 10 grand more a year at this point in my career, but all that would be spent on travelling home on vacations.

And yes, I could probably afford a few extra toys, but I wouldn't trade that for what I have now, being less than an hour away from the rest of my family and 75% of my friends, and being able to take pride in trying to move this province forward, rather than piggy backing a province that is at it's peak.

And I will admit, I do miss those other 25% (i.e Grant), but it's a balancing act.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  14. Big Al

Well you'd have to have oil in NS for that to happen... I don't think your job really exists here, atleast not on the same scale as the West.

15. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I wouldn't want Halifax to be like anywhere else.

16. Big Al

Don't get me wrong either, Alberta is a great place to live and work. I just feel like if people put some effort in, entrepreneurial or otherwise, rather than riding the crazy train, we'd be growing, rather than just growing old (statistically speaking).

Let us not forget, Alberta is only where it is, because of what's in the ground, 1970's-80's were a much different story, and not so long ago equalization payments were heading West. Shortsightedness either in hindsight or foresight will make one ignorant of these facts.

17. Michael

Hole digger

It does but its in an offshore environment.

18. Michael

Hole digger

In the next 10 years Atlantic Canada is in for some considerable growth. Think the same scale as the north sea in the 1980s. Its on our government to use the boom that's looming to secure longer term growth and financial stability when the oil is gone. Bitch and moan about the oil and gas industry but it is the driving force of any economy.

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

If you could earn the same amount of money in both places, where would you live?

20. User1628

Well judging by the answer you quoted, it sounds like Nova Scotia.

21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

She implied that it was more than money keeping her there though.

22. Michael

Hole digger

100k a year out west is more than 100k in ns.

23. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I know. I mean if she could earn the same amount here as she does now.

24. Duggan

If I could find a job that paid me 60% of out here I would be home tomorrow, that being said I do have intentions of moving home but it will be when I have the financial security to do it and come home to a job that pays 40% and I will enjoy getting up everyday and doing it. It sucks being this far away from home but I get home 2-3 times a year to see friends and family and I do have quite a bit of visitors.

Mike works offshore, he is away from his family 3 weeks at a time, there are more and more jobs out here doing fly in, fly out right across Canada now so there is not a ton of difference.

I love coming home to Halifax, I will be there next weekend and know I will have a great time. Downtown Halifax might look desolate in some areas, but it will change, it is nicer than Edmonton, even if there are vacant buildings.

25. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

Wha??? Where the jesus are these people? I personally know zero people that have enough money to own a home, let alone a decent vehicle or other extras. Perhaps it's just the people I've known in my lifetime, but this seems impossible.

Edit: Unless you're approaching middle age or so.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  26. Michael

Hole digger

the difference is I am an hour away as opposed to across the country.

27. Michael

Hole digger

That said if my job ever went tits up I'd consider doing a fly in fly out job in a beat.

28. Duggan

Does the helicopter fly directly to Halifax, or do you have to go to NFLD first, and if it is storming you're much further by boat. I do understand but time wise, you can get on a plane and be home in 5 hours.

29. Michael

Hole digger

How about the time it takes to get off the lease and to an airport. Its an hour chopper ride and I'm at the airport when I land. Sorry I'm 2 hours away.

30. Duggan

I know, I am not arguing with you, I am just saying it isn't a massive difference in the grand scheme. If the chopper can't fly, the boat is a long haul.

Regardless, I would like to be back in Halifax and will continue to work hard until it becomes a reality.

31. Michael

Hole digger

Being home is the only reason I chose to work here. It is alot easier now to go west and come home on your time off. If you do tho you won't benifet in the Alberta taxes .

32. wreak

This is what I came here to post, it's the exact reason that Quinpool remains alive and well, it's fed by surrounding residential areas. Barrington doesn't stand a chance until they start to get more people living downtown.

33. LMAC

_

I can and it would be Halifax but no jobs for me there, so i live in Ottawa.

34. Big Al

You must be keeping the wrong company... I've got friends my age, running their own businesses (trades mostly) making oodles of cash. The others are primarily young professionals, IT/Finance/Accounting etc. Not to brag, but rather to substantiate my claim, I'm 25 - approaching 26 and have already owned a brand new home on an acre and a half for over a year, a 30 minute drive from my downtown office.

35. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

What line of work are you in?

When I moved back to Halifax, I brought my job with me... and I know a ton of other people who do this as well. Actually, if I were to poll the houses in my neighbourhood, I would guess close to 40% of them have someone working from home, doing a job people say you can't do in Halifax.