Wtf happened......

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Smokey, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

To downtown Halifax ?

Driving down Barrington st today was pathetic, there are more vacant retail locations than occupied. On the plus side, sackvilles dealerships appear to be doing well lol:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2. sammy

YA SACKVILLE!

3. Ron Mexico

Don't worry we have a new massive convention center coming for everyone to focus on.

4. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

Welcome back to Halifax :lol: Seems like you got a reminder of just one of the reasons we're a big bunch of critics when it comes to how this city works.

5. sammy

I remember when I went home last April and was pretty blown away with how ugly Halifax looked, what a shame.

6. 17

teenage dirtbag

ohhhh you wait until they start building those ships though. money will rain from the sky.

- - - Updated - - -

:hsugh:

7. Jess

To each their own, but I love Halifax!

8. User1628

Council wants to tax everyone to death and wont do anything unless the old folks who hate everything say they can do something. so they do nothing. only thing that does well is the metro center, pizza corner and a few select watering holes. the rest is dying a slow and painful death.

unless you like hockey, pizza and beer at a few spots... otherwise... grab a vehicle cause you aint getting it downtown.

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

It is pretty messed up. There are developers lined up wanting to build in Halifax and one by one they get shut down.

10. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

Well, to be fair, there is a significant amount of development. However

a) Most of it isn't downtown, which is what needs to happen, among other things, and
    b) Once this cycle of development is finished, the market will be flooded with commercial and residential space.

11. User1628

Want to develop? Sure... all you have to do is abide by this set of bylaws designed to cripple any real change, and if you somehow make it through that, we have some other creative ways we can reject you. And if somehow you get through that, we wont even try to make an excuse - we'll just reject you because it blocks the view of the harbour - even if its a one story building ten miles away.

12. Mitch

While I agree that barrington has had some stalled times with development it's had a few good additions, tempo in the delta looks fantastic. The summit shop, middle spoon and other places are great spots. The last thing I would call halifax is ugly. But I guess that's just an immature uneducated way of describing your thoughts.

13. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

I agree. To me it's sad, it's such a gorgeous city and to come home and see what could and should be an amazing downtown so empty and run down is a big disappointment . The people of NS have to take their province back from these ridiculous governments and get their shit together. How much longer are you going to let them run this place to the ground?

Maybe instead of economic action, business growth and development and tax cuts, more money should be spent on local tv spots promoting how much work is here.

We all know it's an amazing and beautiful place to visit, now it's time to make it a great place to work and make a living/life.

14. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Thanks for the rant, Smokey. The best way to right this is to take your dollars and run off to Alberta. We all appreciate you doing so and then shitting on the province after you've left. It's awesome.

15. Cooper

FTP

That's not fair, what do you expect him to do, stay and make less money simply in protest? That wouldn't make much sense.

16. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I left Nova Scotia for about 10 years, but came back, partly with the mindset of creating jobs and doing something positive for the province I always considered home even when I had left.

Visiting, shitting on things, and then leaving does nothing to make things better.

To Smokey's specific complaint of the state of downtown Halifax - this is what happens when people vote in a guy like Peter Kelley for so long - no understanding of what is important to the city of Halifax and what needs to change in order to turn the tide and rejuvinate things like the downtown. If you live in Halifax, you realise that things are actually going quite well - employment is good, the city is going somewhere, but we had a mayor for too long who didn't know what economic development means and the importance of a great downtown core.

So, again, thanks for the comments once again about how shitty Halifax is. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way back to Alberta.

17. Smokey

Smokey
    [OP]

I'd love to come back. Give me a call when

A. You don't have a 50% income tax bracket
    B. NSP doesn't have the govt regulators on its payroll
    C. HST isn't 15%
    D. You have a government in place that understands growth doesn't come from handouts

I understand what you're saying for sure, if i were to move my small business back to NS, and struggle to put food on my table, then I'd have better grounds to complain.

I swear you older IT guys have to be the only people in NS with this fucking"everything is great " view of the economy.

"Employment is good"?? I'm sorry are you on fucking crack? Or has the mass exodus finally resulted in some job openings?

I'm no world traveller, but I can tell you for sure I've never been to a major city with a downtown core with that many vacancies.

18. Mitch

When I was in parts of Florida last year it looked like a ghost town.

19. Big Al

Calgary is a ghost town on weekends.... But has a booming business community obviously... I couldn't stand the lack of life in DT Calgary on weekends.

As for Halifax, it's a systemic issue caused by high property taxes, and the ease of urban sprawl (both residential and following it, commercial). Commerical properties follow the residential trends and move to areas where people live. The problem is the developments we do allow, such as the convention center, are not necessarily the right ones, overall its predicted that the convention business is declining and will continue to decline as travel becomes more costly.

I personally think Halifax is doing pretty well right now, I just wish it didn't rely on a gov't hand out (shipbuilding contract), and could grow organically through proper governance.

20. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Parking and Traffic Downtown is already a nightmare - so lets pound a big ole Convention Center that no one seems to want right in the middle of the mess - excellent decision.

I never go downtown - its a hassle.

21. Scott

rawr

For a ghost town, a lot of people seem to have an issue finding places to park :lol:

22. 17

teenage dirtbag

tried getting to the keg last weekend when my parents were in town. drove around for 35 min looking for parking and then bailed and went to bayers lake.

23. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Great post, Big Al.

On the employment front, I'm mostly basing things on the people I know who live here, of which only a few work in IT. Everyone is employed and if a job is lost, a new one is found almost immediately. The only person I know who spent any time on EI was myself and that was because I took some time to start a new company and create even more jobs.

I'm trying to hire right now and can't even get resumes in.

Stop being an asshole and shitting on Halifax every time you return to visit. What does it accomplish other than pissing off those of us who live here, many of whom are actively working to fix the many complaints you have about our life here. Stop visiting and stay in your oil infused bubble of the world where money grows on trees and you don't have to worry about putting food on the table (what? Really? You really think you'd be that poor?)

And, I'm not that old. I'm in my prime earning years and also in my prime for influencing the city around me.

24. Jenn

Left Shark

One of the large buildings on Barrington is now mostly vacant because it's going to be torn down and redeveloped (the Roy building).

But yeah, there are big problems on Barrington.

25. teal

A Candy Cajolers Thrill

If only we had museums, parks, live music, restaurants, locally owned unique stores, great architecture and a beautiful waterfront downtown…. Oh wait, we do!

I live downtown (basically), I don’t have a car, and I always have things to do.

26. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

3 words.... Halifax By Design

Developers don't want to build down there because there are too many restrictions. Imagine what Skye Halifax would have done to revitalize the downtown

27. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

^^^ This

The City should start a whole new area for office type buildings - why does one need a view of the harbour to conduct business ? Imagine going to an office job and having free parking ? Crazy Eh ?

28. 17

teenage dirtbag

look at the VG, they tore down the school and instead of offering extra parking they put a fucking "urban garden" there. who gives a shit about an urban garden you can only use 5 months out of the year.

29. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Fucking Hippies eh ?

30. Horsman

White Man in a Black Suit

Disagree. What a monstrosity. There is no justification for that building in halifax with the amount of vacancies we already have. There are 100 more deserving, beautiful, viable developments making their way through the process right now.

31. User1628

Argyle and Spring Garden only seem to the be the two consistently busy and active streets at night. Side walks look so shitty with those pavement patches. Having nice side walks makes a significant different in curb appeal.

I do like the odd building that has the funky coloured lights brightening them up. I would encourage the entire down town core to be illuminated. Bright and interesting will trump dark and dingy looking areas.

Board walk is definitely a show stopper... in the summer. Not nearly as many people frequent it in the winter because it's bloody cold down there.

32. Horsman

White Man in a Black Suit

Great community project, has gotten tons of use. Once you give the commons up you can't have them back. Are you saying you would have parked there and walked to the Keg? doubt it.

33. Jess

Sure parking downtown is tough, it's tough in just about every major city on the planet. Ever tried to park downtown Toronto, Calgary, Montreal? Yea, they all suck too. Shitty that you couldn't find FREE parking for the Keg Aron, but if you'd parked down on the waterfront, where there is ALWAYS tons of paid parking you wouldn't have had an issue. It's a 7 minute walk and would have cost you around $8 - compare that to the $20 you would have spent in larger cities.

We don't have the transit system some other places do and I think that has a major impact on our downtown, we all have cars and want to park within feet of wherever we want to go. If you're going to take transit though, you would have had to walk those 7 minutes at some point anyway.

People are so quick to complain about how much traffic there is getting in and out of Halifax, the parking, the lack of stores - but we spend 40% less time driving to and from work than other cities, pay less in parking annually and have an INCREDIBLE assortment of local shops, boutiques, restaurants and businesses that are just thriving because Haligonians really love to support local.

You went downtown to go to a chain restaurant and couldn't find parking, so you drove to Bayers Lake to eat at a different chain. There are SOOOO many better options out there. Greek on Quinpool, Saege up on Spring Garden, Chefs Menu in Sackville, The Cellar in Bedford, Nectar in Dartmouth ... all of these places have parking nearby. How can you complain about the lack of character on a street like Barrington when you're not doing your part to support it?

/end rant.

34. 17

teenage dirtbag

im saying that there are people who work in that vg complex that have to park blocks away during the week

35. 17

teenage dirtbag

if i couldnt find parking for the keg, i wouldnt find parking on spring garden. im not crossing the bridge, going to sackville or bedford when ive already driven around downtown and im already hungry before i left the house. maybe next time.

dont get me wrong, i love halifax, absolutely. but our traffic and parking issues are bigger than they should be when you consider our size. yes i've parked in dt calgary, dt toronto, and nyc. Its pretty much identical situation to what we have here. sometimes youre lucky, sometimes youre not.