winter tires?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by kyden, Dec 6, 2003.

1. kyden

kyden
    [OP]

yea so the first snowfall of the season came today.. together with ice.. yay! :x and i am running some shitty good year integrity on the front and dunlop sp40 on the back (came that way when i bought the car).. and i'm looking for some good winter tires.. something with good grip, and decent tread wear (i don't want them to go out after like 4k miles).. probably going to be a mix of snow and dry weather this winter i think.. i figured i would ask you guys since you get a lot of snow also :)

2. Redshift

Well, I got 3 winters out of a set of Michelin Alpin's on my old SiR (although they were past the wear bars at the end of that 3rd winter.)
    I was happy with them.... decent snow performance, very good on ice, not too noisy and not totally useless on dry pavement.

3. ~La~Aruca~

try to lick ur elbow

i have never ran winter tires, i have always had tires that felt like glass in the winter, and really i had no problems, well some on sharp turn, but yeah, i think its all in ur head, or plain and simple u cant drive, cuz i made it through many winters with barly n e grip on my tires at all.

4. asmd

I used to always put a brand hammering new pair of Goodyear ultra grips on the front of my civic (they are free for me anyways) and run two half bald all seasons in the back. . . . its a lot more fun that way in snow covered parking lots, and when you're in trouble and need to break free from a spin out, donut, or a drift, its that much more easier. . . remember, if a FWD, you pull and lead with the front, the rear just trails behind.

5. kyden

kyden
    [OP]

umm yea.. my tires are crap... i'm not moving and they're sliding.. now tell me i can't drive.. you should read the reviews on the goodyears.. sucky in dry, worse in wet, and absolute junk in the snow.. i'd rather take my chances in the supra with z rated tires..

6. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

Holy crap that's a dangerous plan. Please don't follow me in a snowstorm. I hope you're insured... :rolleyes:

7. asmd

Worked for me for three years and running, and was tonnes of fun in the snow. And, I wouldn't be behind you in a snow storm, I don't drive in the middle of storms.

The civic will never see the snow again, screw that. . . thats what my truck is for, and that thing will always have a pair of crazy tires on it, no matter what time of year it is. . .

And on a side note, who would drive without insurance? If you have any less than 1 million liability, first theft, collision then I wouldn't want to run into you.

8. Redshift

Well, the 20-year old bitch working at McDonalds who drove her GMC Safari up my RX-8s ass didn't have insurance.....

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

What are you driving this week? :D

10. asmd

What type of money were you looking to spend on tires?

11. kyden

kyden
    [OP]

i'm not really concerned with the money part.. but preferably something under $100 US.. blizzak ws50's and goodyear ultra grip i've been looking at.. but would the cheap no name ones give me the same grip without breaking the bank?

boots: the civic dx of course :) d16y7 power.. the supra hasn't seen sunshine in like a year..

12. kyden

kyden
    [OP]

damn, thank god in RI insurance is mandatory..

13. asmd

Fuck right off!!! Man. . . that fucking sucks. . . . I hope the cops got called and she got a nice ol big fine for almost 1000 bucks!!!! I would have made SURE that she paid for the repairs to my car if she hit me. . . . amazing how people's stupidity makes things that much more complicated for other people.

14. AcidGord

I slapped a set of Kumho KW11's on my car last weekend. Feels like I'm driving the Queen Mary with all the tread squirm but they're actually QUIETER than the 712's. Figure that one out. :) For $340 total for a full set of 4 I'm not going to complain too much.

We'll see how they do when the snow hits.

15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Mandatory here too, but dumb fucks still drive without it! :mad:

16. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

I just realized tonight that I am not going to make it through this winter with 2 winter tires on the front. I have winters on the back with like 20% tread left.

Its pretty scary when you are drifting around a corner on the highway at 100+ km/h! I'm gonna go get some more cooper winters from DS. Thanks for the recommendation Boots. :bigthumb:

17. Redshift

Yeah, the police slapped her with a BUNCH of fines... no insurance, leaving the scene of an accident, displaying improper registration(?) (she had somebody elses plate on the truck) etc.
    My insurance company paid to fix the RX, and then are suing her to get their money back...

18. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

Cliffs notes:

She's Fucked as Fuck! 8)