Wifi Smart Plug/Outlet with Timer?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Lex Lucas, May 29, 2019.

1. Lex Lucas

Lex Lucas
    [OP]
    feels good.

I'm looking for a wifi smart plug/outlet that has a timer feature so that when the plug is plugged in the timer activates and shuts off power after a programmed time. To turn it back on you need to replug or press a reset button.

My need arises from putting a portable A/C unit in my Airbnb and want to avoid guests running it 24/7 or when they aren't home. I figure having a 3-4 hour timer would be sufficient.

I've tried doing some research but product descriptions aren't very clear with what features are available or what they do specifically. Maybe someone has some other suggestions of ideas that might work for my situation as well?

2. BlackFire

Professional napper

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  3. Lex Lucas

Lex Lucas
    [OP]
    feels good.

Thought of that but would like to avoid installing and wiring a new switch to the existing outlet.

4. Lex Lucas

Lex Lucas
    [OP]
    feels good.

I think this should work. Now to figure out how to keep this attached to the A/C plug lol probably just zip tie it

5. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Costco has wifi wall receptacles so they are permanent. Top plug is a regular always on plug, bottom plug is wifi controlled.

Probably just putting a note to not unplug the unit as it will erase the programming will be enough to dissuade 99% of the people from unplugging it.