Why ?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Stang, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

Why is everyone so concerned about this little piece of shit ? Let him rot in "Gitmo" I say.

:confused:

PM refuses to raise Khadr with Obama

TORONTO — Guantanamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr is a "wounded boy" who needs to come home to Canada to heal, his lawyer said Wednesday, but a chorus of pleas for Prime Minister Stephen Harper to press U.S. President Barack Obama on the issue fell on deaf ears.

Harper’s spokesman Kory Teneycke said the Khadr file will not come up when the prime minister meets Obama next week.

"I don’t anticipate either (leader) will raise it," Teneycke told The Canadian Press from Ottawa.

Teneycke said Washington had not asked Canada to take its citizen, who is charged in the U.S. with war crimes for allegedly killing an American soldier in Afghanistan when he was 15.

Last month, Obama halted military commission proceedings against Khadr while a panel reviewed the cases of Guantanamo Bay detainees charged with crimes.

"It’s not our process," Teneycke said.

"There’s not been a change in the U.S. position; there’s not been a change in the Canadian position. We will respond to changes in the U.S. position if and when they occur."

As the federal opposition banded together Wednesday to advocate for Khadr’s repatriation, his lawyer outlined a plan to help him readjust to Canadian society.

"Omar Khadr is not a Taliban warrior in need of rehabilitation. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time as a young man," said Dennis Edney, Khadr’s lead lawyer.

"He is just a wounded young boy who needs to come home and be cared for."

Under the proposal, an oversight committee comprised of members of the medical, legal and faith communities would ensure Khadr gets the help he needs adjusting to Canadian society.

He would initially stay with a family that has offered to take him in, receive specially crafted home-schooling, and be given psychiatric and physical therapy. The Muslim community would bear most of the costs.

"We Canadians are saying to our government that we are ready to assist Omar Khadr," Edney said.

Teneycke derided the plan as a "PR stunt and nothing more."

The Toronto-born Khadr, 22, is the lone westerner held at the infamous U.S. prison in Cuba, which Obama has pledged to close within a year.

In Ottawa, the leaders of the three opposition parties released a letter to Harper and Obama urging them to agree to Khadr’s return.

The letter — from Liberal Michael Ignatieff, Bloc Leader Gilles Duceppe and the NDP’s Jack Layton — points out that Canadian courts have determined Khadr was confined and mistreated in violation of international law.

"The interests of justice require acknowledgment of his status as a child soldier, his release from Guantanamo Bay, and his prompt return to Canada to be dealt with in accordance with Canadian law," the two-page letter states.

Teneycke accused the opposition of hypocrisy and "playing politics."

"We are not interested in what Mr. Khadr’s lawyers have to say or opposition leaders or, frankly, the media," Teneycke said.

"We are not going to make decisions on this case on the basis of PR campaigns by his lawyer, by his media, or the opposition coalition."

Khadr’s Pentagon-appointed lawyer, Lt.-Cmdr. Bill Kuebler, said formulating a plan for Omar’s reintegration is "the responsible thing" to do.

"It’s important for the Canadian and U.S. governments and for Canadians to understand that Canada has the people and facilities to reintegrate former child soldiers such as Omar, and that now is the time to get this young man home and give him a first chance in life," Kuebler said.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/1106113.html

2. infatuous

I know. It pisses me off the amount of time the Liberals cry for him. His entire family are confessed fucking terrorists, and half of our politicians want to set him free. This country is beyond fucked.

3. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

I guess the "coalition" wants to extend the young offenders act to war and terrorism.

:banghead:

4. Elcoopto

hmmm, perhaps we could feed him to dogs?

5. boing

Banned

He is a terrorist he was captured in a war zone after killing an American Medic.

Let in rot in Gitmo.

6. Zombietech

Agreed.

7. tribeachpunk

Anyone happen to hear the yahoo who called into 95.7 suggesting we send him back where he came from... :lol:

8. Omerta

I don't know why this is an issue. Other than trying to stir up the bleeding hearts.

9. thunder

my av is me

I disagree with your opinion.

10. Codith

[​IMG]

Nuke it all.....Problem Solved

11. tribeachpunk

A Canadian citizen who's never been convicted of anything, rotting in an American detention centre where torture was policy... Why wouldn't Canadians want him repatriated?

If the American's want to keep him, try him and do it legally.

12. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

Good to see your still the bleeding heart idiot you've always been.

:rolleyes:

13. tribeachpunk

You make excellent points too.

14. Michael

Hole digger

if he was captured killing an american medic i say let him rott in an american detention camp!
    setting him free lets him get away with what he did.

15. JAC

JAC
    Brathair Brewing

He's yet to be seen by a "Judge"

16. hammer

Richard Simmons

Where would the guy get a fair trail anyway?
    Young, confused, whatever as soon as he went "home" to take up their cause, he chose his path.

17. Duggan

Set him free 3 miles off the coast in a rubber raft, if he can make it up the coast to Canadian waters, he gets a trial, if not, well that's too bad. Fuck spending money to get him up here.

Oh, I would gladly donate to the raft fund.

18. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

I'm thinking used raft with lots of sketchy looking patches.

:D

19. Omerta

So.. let me get this straight.. you believe that because he committed a crime outside of Canada.. he should be brought back to Canada to be tired? :wtf:

Why would this be different that any other Canadian committing a brutal crime in another country?

I believe its just because people are using the fact that he was just a 15 year old kid to pry into peoples emotional side to raise an issue and try to get under the conservatives skin with use that angle.
    If he gets tried in Canada he would get fuck all even if he was convicted. What kind of a message does that send to our American Allies.. that we approve of our citizens killing their troops?

Think about that...

20. Omerta

If he is a Canadian citizen and an armed combatant against our Allies, doesn't that come into the area of treason?

21. Ty

Ty
    Freddy Beach Bad Boy

[​IMG]

22. Ty

Ty
    Freddy Beach Bad Boy

Oh and yeah, let him rot.

23. tribeachpunk

Go back and read what I wrote. I clearly say that if the Americans want to keep him, they should try him. Where in my post do I give the impression I want him tried in Canada?

He either gets tried and convicted, tried and acquitted or the 'charges' get dropped and they send him back here.

No one is asking for them to return him here to face Canadian justice. The only thing people are asking for is for some action... You just can't keep someone, especially a foreigner, forever, without trial, no matter how bad whatever it is they're accused of doing is...

Try him, find him guilty and give him the chair for all I care. But if they're not willing to try him, you gotta send him back here.

Where do you'll think he'll wind up when Gitmo closes anyway??

We can't try him for treason while he sits at Gitmo.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  24. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

Wall + Bullet = Profit

25. tribeachpunk

Works for me. Convict him of something and get to it.

26. Omerta

I was under the impression that most people who felt strongly about this issue were wanting him to be tired in Canada?

His and most insergent combat roles leave them in a huge grey area of the geneva convention. As a Canadian citizen what was he doing in that situation, unless he had planned to participate in combat.

I highly doubt there is enough evidence either way to have a fair in either direction other than the conditions he was detained under. He wasn't arrested under a warrent like here in Canada.

27. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

Because they know what a joke the justice system is in this country.

28. tribeachpunk

I don't care where you try him. Canada doesn't have any grounds to prosecute him that I'm aware of... All I'm saying is that they can't just keep him forever without charge or trial..