White Balance

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by N / A, Mar 2, 2009.

1. N / A

N / A
    [OP]

this is probably a stupid question, if your shooting with a white balance card do you just shoot an extra frame with the card in it and use that to get the temperature? I know you can set the custom WB in camera but I would assume that would only apply to jpgs, no? or would it just change the base WB that the RAW image captures? If that is the case it is better to use custom WB before shooting or shoot a frame and change the temp in post?

2. GBP

GBP
    Dont chu be hating

Shooting RAW:

Just shoot one image with the White Balance card in the frame and your good to go. Each time you change lighting situations, or conditions change, then take another shot of your WB card in those conditions.

When you are in post production, you use the first frame in each 'scene' to get a great WB reading for the whole scene - for instance in Lightroom, get your Eyedropper (w key) and select the middle of the WB card in the first photo - then sync the WB to all the other remaining shots in that series or scene..

So on and so forth

3. mcgraths

Timestopper

What David said. lol.

I'll add a bit more detail though. Once you have you white balance setting from your card, use the "Copy Settings" option in the menu and make sure only White Balance is checked. Once you've done this, you can select the rest of the photos from the scene and paste the white balance settings to them in one go.

4. N / A

N / A
    [OP]

thanks thats what I thought