Where Are The Rest?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by SheOfManyChildren, Jan 28, 2009.

1. SheOfManyChildren

How do you deal with this question?

I have had this asked after almost EVERY gallery posting. In my contract I state the clients can expect to receive X amount of finished proofs from their session. Even though they all sign it....they all say "but you took so many, we were expecting more!"

I make a point of only showing my clients finished product. They're not getting the shots of Johnny with his snot bubble, or Mommy with her double chin, etc.....I'm also not processing 15 identical images because I shot in burst mode just to capture that ONE great moment. :happysad:

What would your answer be?

I am curious to hear opinions on this.

2. Julie

Seems to be ask for opinions day (re: the thread that I started).

Don't ya just wished that shutter was more silent? The clients hear that shutter click and think that you are getting a perfect shot every time. They don't realize like you said, snot bubbles, double chins, eyes closed etc. I've read that some photographers when asked that by the clients try to explain that not every shot is perfect and the contract states that you get so many. When the client complains the photog just re-process some of the shots already shown into black and white. I guess for some photogs it works.

3. GBP

GBP
    Dont chu be hating

The answer to this question is not what you say after the fact, but setting the client expectation up front. It's good that you make them sign a contract that states that only 'x' amount will be included from your session, but something is not clicking with your clients.

You are better off working on friendly banter as to how you operate and how you only provide the best possible images from the session, etc....something along those lines.

I had alot of trouble with wedding clients a few years ago, but I have completely eliminated all possible hassle by choosing and educating my clients very carefully.

4. Brad Sampson

Agree. I simple say we pick the best images of all the images taken. I never allow clients to see any other photos, simply because they are not the same quality as the ones I chose, but on the other hand I will go over the amount of photos in the contract.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  5. SheOfManyChildren

That's the funny part.....they actually said "We KNOW your contract says you only show X amount....but......"

And then the very next line is saying how much they love them and are never "how are we ever going to decide!"

:lol: They want more to what? Make it even MORE difficult?

6. SheOfManyChildren

That's basically what I said. I also went over..they had 20% more!

I also, explained that I was happy to get so many unique images, as I usually less. I sent images over 10 different setups! :happysad:

7. novascotiaskier

When shooting, I chimp (on occasion!) and sometimes remark "nope, you blinked", "nope, another blinker", "good thing I'm taking so many, this one is a bit out of focus". And when I get to the gallery stage, I say "I have weeded out all of the shots where your eyes were close, or the shot wasn't in focus, here is what is left".

Now, you ask, does it work? To which I answer: Nope.

8. Arod

Like Dave and Brad I educate all clients before hand on the typical range of images they should expect during whatever the time frame I am shooting in and how I narrow it down to that based on color, composition, focus, expressions, exposure...etc. All others are deleted during the editing process.

I never include a set minimum amount in a contract but do educate them well. It was only my first wedding when I failed to do this that I ran in to the question of "where are the rest". I learned from that mistake pretty quick.

9. Getson

I have answered that these are the best from each grouping of shots. The rest looked exactly the same, except your eyes were closed, out of focus, etc. I've never had any questions after that.

10. SheOfManyChildren

That's exactly what I said. :)

11. shayes

I have no idea how to deal with clients, but here is my two cents.

During the shoot the clients are trusting you to click the shutter when you think it is appropriate. They are not sitting there going "now....now." If they are trusting you to press that shutter and frame the image they should also trust you to pick only the image that make a standard of quality.

This leads to the second point. There are actually two clients in this relationship. The parents and you. Every time you shoot you are in fact your own client. so both parties need to be pleased to make this relationship work. You want your best work out there and only you can be the judge of that. Shit knows there are a million parents out there that don't know their kids are ugly. They shouldn't be judging anything!!!! Having sub-standard shots out there does not do you any good as a professional and they need to respect that. They can give you the old "We won't show them to anyone" thing but I can tell you certain "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, IT MAKES A SOUND!" Quote me on that. It is bad enough that the rejects exist in the first place. Ha.

The final thing is that this is a portrait session and not a documentary of "the day with the photographer" They are getting images that capture their kid at that moment in time, not a collection of images that document the session. If they wanna document the day, tell them to bring their own camera and give them a few minutes after you are done.

Whatever.

12. SheOfManyChildren

Steve, I couldn't agree with you more....and that is exactly (!) why I only show finalized images. I also explained the two camps of photographers:

1)those that send a gallery of every single image, and then let the client pick which to proof

2)and those who choose the best and proof them all

I commented on the emotion they felt when they cried during their slideshow and how that would not have happened in scenario #1 , and that I felt it was part of my job as their photographer to provide that experience.

It was all very gracious, and cordial, etc.....but I haven't heard back from them. :(

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  13. shayes

I think I saw that couple the other night at Chives. They had this beautiful meal that they couldn't stop raving about and then complained when they found out that the resaurant wasn't "all you can eat."

14. SheOfManyChildren

Awesome. :lol:

Sidenote: I HEARTS CHIVES.

15. Arod

mmmm Chives. I was at a chefs night at Sugar Moon Farms a few months back where Craig Flinn prepared a 5 course maple themed meal...blew my mind.

16. Clif

mmmmmmmm, maple! :)

I was also asked from the last wedding I did for more pics after I provided 500+ processed pics. Isn't that enuf? :shrug:

17. Dorman

Konichiwa Bitches...

I think it's inevitable in any line of business that you'll run into a client who simply won't be satisfied no matter what, or that their expectations were so far out in left field that you'll never meet them.

I think the pre-shoot consultation is key for expectation setting, and I wouldn't be afraid to walk away from clients that you feel will be problematic down the road. You can reduce the chances of these types of situations by using a contract and setting clear expectations, however when these do come up I think it's really important to stick to your guns and be firm that they got what was agreed upon, otherwise you set a precedence and open the door for clients to walk all over you.

18. SheOfManyChildren

And just got their order....smallest EVER.

19. chainsaw

are you really surprised?

20. SheOfManyChildren

For some reason...yes. Just big talkers I guess.

The best part, they only ordered 7 images..

21. SheOfManyChildren

I should send them an email....and ask "where are the rest?"

I kid, I kid.

22. chainsaw

LMFAO no shit

23. Dorman

Konichiwa Bitches...

No surprise there Tanya, sucks, but that's predictable.

If I ever have kids I'll make sure to order 8, don't want to be the smallest order ever. ;)

24. SheOfManyChildren

25. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

they are totally going to scan them and make their own(crappier) prints.

again, this is my biz model speaking for itself. :)

26. brokenhat

Boy you almost wish you could fire your clients when they give you a hard time and then order 7 prints... They will probably bad mouth you too with your luck with them.

27. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

pretty remarkable that probly the best shot to come out of tanya's camera was not even ordered. pffffbt. what do the clients know anyway?

anywho-this is heading towards a grey area. i wish boots would give us established memebers a private section where we could talk biz as well as about specific client experiences without fear of our clients seeing it. pretty common on a lot of the higher end photo forums...you have to actaually be a shooter to get in...keeps the lookie loos away and lets us talk without worrying about it getting around.
    boots....what can you gear up bro?

28. Julie

would us little people be able to join?

29. Dorman

Konichiwa Bitches...

There's been a number of threads that have started to go down a path where privacy would be in everyone's best interest. There's also been alot of times I'd love to have wagged my tounge and ranted, but I'd hate to air the dirty laundry of my business, or anyone else's business here. While a private section of the forum would be great we all know the real conversations happen over beer and nachos (overdue). ;)

30. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

yeah, but we've skipped on the 'staff meetings' for the last couple months :(

31. SheOfManyChildren

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

And I can drink again!

32. SheOfManyChildren

I think it could be open to anyone who met specific criteria. Most require proof of active business practice, etc (ie. website, etc)...some even require submittal of portfolio samples. :eek3:

33. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

i think there is a core group of us that would be in without a doubt...and a few noobs that would also qualify to get in for sure....then noobs going forward would be subject to some small source of verification they are a shooter.

34. HatMan

Pentaxian Extraordinaire

I think this would be a great idea. PMs only work for some things... Beer & Nachos, though, work on so many levels!!!

35. Julie

guess it won't be for me. Not making money on my photos and the only thing I have close to a website is flickr :lol:. But, I do love nachos and beer :)