What is wrong with Allie the cat?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by tribeachpunk, Feb 17, 2009.

1. tribeachpunk

Allie isn't mine but belongs to good friends.

She's had an ongoing health issue which has recently flared up... Her skin is very irritated. She's been to the vet on several occasions in the past for the same issue and they've never come home with answers. Don't ask me which vet, I don't know, but I cannot imagine that Allie is the one and only cat with this condition. My position is that she needs to see a new vet for a second opinion.

As bad as she looks, she's a pretty normal cat. Her condition doesn't seem to impede her in any way at all.

Has anyone here ever experienced this with their cats?

These pictures might be NWS, depending on how your boss feels about photos of sick looking kitties.

Picture 1
    Picture 2

2. User1628

poor kitty :(

3. Scott

rawr

Could she be over grooming herself?

And Id totally get a second or even third opinion.

4. tribeachpunk

Any idea what causes over grooming?

5. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Yeah its a question of are those lesions the problem or the result of something else like scratching or grooming.
    If the vet doesn't have an answer, its time to go to a different vet. Not that this one is incompetent, but if he/she can't give an answer you have to find one that can.

6. tribeachpunk

Her head/face sores are new. She had similar sores on her belly and back in the past. They cleared up over the summer and she looked like a normal, healthy cat. Winter rolled around and now the sores are on her face, but not really anywhere else.

She's an indoor cat, btw.

7. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Geez, could be the food. Maybe they switched it. Could be the litter basket. Could be a number of things. You'd be surprised what damage a cats tongue can do to their skin if they constant lick themselves.

8. Scott

rawr

Sometimes they will over groom because of stress, it could be anything really. But yeah i would get a second opinion.

9. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

Poor kitty!!! Could be food for sure - it would be worthwhile running blood work at a NEW vet. :happysad:

10. Shellie

Team Suzuki

My mom and dad just went through this with their cat. It was because of an allergy to his food. It was irritating his eye, the vet said it would be itchy like pink eye, so he was constantly grooming and irritating his eyes. They switched his food and he had to take medication to clear up the irritation. He is fine now except he's bald around his eyes.

I can get more details from my mom if you want :)

11. foreternity

electric.eyes

My cat Rogue has/had an allergy like that; he gets large scabs on his back and the top of his head but we have yet to find the source. Our vet (Dr. Woodbury, Woodbury Animal Hospital) is great though and was very thorough in how he wanted to test, treat and then modify one thing at a time (i.e. change food) in order to see the effect. Like others, I would definitely recommend a second opinion. Some vets may be dismissive, assuming it will clear up on its own but open wounds like your kitty has are a a breeding ground for infection, so in this case, it's best to have a vet who is willing to work with you on finding a cause.