What car?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by pmachan, Aug 21, 2004.

1. pmachan

pmachan
    [OP]

So I am probably going to buy a different car, need something different. I'll give a few of my choices and why, give me some opinions.

Integra GSR- PROS-fairly cheap, can be made to be quite fast and would be a decent track car, cheap on gas. Nice step up from my current car, nicer in every way. Can drive in winter.
    CONS-theft, tired of Honda punkass image (i'm old).

LTI-LSI Camaro-PROS, I have grown to love the small block, huge power potential and speed potential. needs a bit of work to be a decent track/street car (brakes..)
    CONS, gas milage, I vowed never to buy a GM vehicle ever again, GM quality, can't drive in winter.

WRX- PROS, newer cars are always nice, good all-rounder, winter will be actually fun. Realiable (so I read..), turbo motor easy to get power out of.
    CONS, still expensive, expensive to mod, not a fan of AWD, not sure of its abilities as an Auto-X/track car with amount of $$ I would have to spend on it.

Nissan 240- PROS, Rwd, cheap, lots of aftermarket, very capable on track/auto-x.
    CONS, old, not the best in winter, truck motor hard to get power out of.

A truck- PROS, very usefull, I like them, no desire to mod, easier to haul around mountain bikes and motorcycles.
    CONS, its a truck, gas milage, no desire to mod, kinda boring.

-Boots SIR-
    PROS, very nice car, realiable, gas milage, fairly quick, great daily driver.
    CONS, almost too nice in its current form to do what I will do to it at the track.

Anymore decent cars I am missing? I have thought about a BMW, 1.8T VW, etc, but I am going to pound the shit out of whatever car I get so I ruled these out due to cost of parts/repair. Keep in mind that I am hoping to buy a car with a faster baseline lap around AMP than my current car, a 92 Civic Si with a fair amount of mods.

2. Eisenflower

Boots's SiR. It's been immaculately maintainted, still has warranty, looks great and the price is a steal for what you're getting. It's reliable, would be fun at the track and would be a comfortable car to drive daily for your every day uses.

3. Tony

Think Happy Thoughts!

4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The SiR could take a pounding... it's in awesome mechanical shape, and its super easy to work on. I'd love to take it out on a track... You could make that thing a killer track capable car :eek:

5. Eisenflower

What's your point? Sure he's going to pound it at the track, I know how paul drives. However, it's not as if he's going to neglect the cars maintennance and not look after the car. The reason why I suggested the SiR to Paul is because the car is in such good mechanical shape, it's a reliable platform especially if he's going to track the car, it's fairly new so he shouldn't have any problems with it as opposed to an older 240 etc etc.. and yet at the end of the day he has a nice car to pull the race slicks off of and drive home comfrotably to be to work on monday. IMO it's the perfect choice considering what Boots is selling the car for. Awesome bang for the buck.

6. AcidGord

Paul: I was in the same boat (And starting from almost the same position too. :) ) and I'm still trying to figure out what to do. A guy I know in Ontario was offering me a 99 GSR at an incredible price but I couldn't bring myself to go that way. Its a somewhat nicer car, sure, but its still basically a Civic with a few more horses. I'd basically be moving up to a fresher car but starting from square 1 again.

I think this year I've decided to stick it out with the Civic though now that I've got it setup pretty well. The Teins are working great, the engine is still strong, I know it inside and out so I can replace most things myself for the price of parts. Plus at this point I might be able to get $3k for it upgraded parts aside.

So that leaves me now looking for a car without racing in mind. Something comfortable and easy to drive full time but there's just not much our there in the price range I'm looking to spend that appeals to me at all. Its a hard decision to make.

7. pmachan

pmachan
    [OP]

I know what you are saying Gord.
    One side of me is the responsible side who thinks a nicer Honda product is the clear answer, super reliable, quick, huge aftermarket. My other side wants to drive a racecar to work.
    I am selling my car however, well I hope anyway, Boots' car, if still around will be first on my list to be honest.

8. AcidGord

I'm sure you wouldn't be at all dissapointed with his car. It looks nicely setup. Me I think I'm going to hang on to the beater for a couple of years yet and get a second daily/weekend/summer car instead.

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

10. devast8

Solution to 'motor hard to get power out of': SR20DET swap baby!

11. Shafft

RC-OG

Boot's SiR...

Reasons.... It's new It's meticulous and you can swap all of the current suspension mods from your car now to it .. so it will save you lost of money...

12. AcidGord

Actually you can't between the EG and EK. The fronts work (With EK forks), the rears don't. He might be able to re-use the springs and maybe sway bar though.

13. Eisenflower

Springs he definately can.. you're right about the struts.

14. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

Paul,

I know you need a new street car, but...wanna go splits on it as a track car? 8)

15. pmachan

pmachan
    [OP]

Not sure what I am going to do about a race car, alot of things hinge on the Vette. If that doesn't run next year, I will be buying a race car of some kind, possibly Corey's ITA 240. I just need a street car that I can solo and do track days, with a stiffer setup and my rear bar, Boots' car will be fine.

16. rice

Ls1 camaro, tons of potential and still has excellent street manners. However you would probably have to get a beater, but this way you could also get a beater truck.

17. dave_t

get the WRX

18. wylderhoads

BLS

The Teg for sure!

19. John Doe

Agreed, you can buy mine for $6500USD

20. stu mccrea

Paul you could always buy mine too. Lowering the price daily......

Collecting dust..... :cry:

21. Arod

Don't be stupid, keep the KA! From my experiende the KA24DE is very responsive to mods not to mention it is an expremely strong motor. The KA is a great boost car too. properly tuned and built some are getting upwards of 375whp on just 12psi of boost.

BTW, the KA24E was a truck motor not the KA24DE