Weekender Rescue

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by kitty kat, Feb 23, 2009.

1. kitty kat

kitty kat
    [OP]

SOO.. I was exploring the option of getting another kittay as i previously lost mine due to diabetes, and my other kitty now needs a new victim.. er friend :D After exploring the spca and bide awhile with no luck, I went home and went on Kijiji, which led me to an ad saying 'Free Brindle Pit Bull'.

I immediately clicked the link and to my shock I see this tiny little brindle dog with a huge ass industrial type chain around her neck as a collar. Worrying about a potential lack of concern from the owner's part, I worried that this dog would end up in the hands of something much worse, or at least not better. I emailed him and asked why he was giving his dog away, and his response was "i have too many dogs":rolleyes: I looked up his email addy on facebook and was able to get in his profile where I saw he was breeding dogs and not to mention a bunch of pics with $100 bills scattered about. So my bf (Ryan_NS) and I went on a doggie rescue mission.

We ended up in East Preston where this young dude lived and to our shock, we realised this dog he had was living in the shed and appeared extremely skinny. There was no thinking about it, we took her! Back at home, we bathed her (she stunk), cleaned her ears, cut her toe nails (they were so long she could barely walk) and gave her some food. She was terrified and hovered about like we were going to hit her or something. After eating she immediately started to poop when we realised, she was not even house broken - which had us think this poor girl has probably never lived in a house before. The house where we went had laminated floors, as does ours, and this dog could barely walk on them (it was like she was on ice). This guy had named her 'Money' and we appropriately renamed her 'Honey' as she is the sweetest thing. After all she had been through just with us bathing her, cutting toe nails etc. she had no issues whatso ever. All she really could do was give kisses. As the evening went on she continued to come out of her shell and turns out she is one big cuddle bunny with no other apparent issues. She does not seem to be dog aggressive, food aggressive or any have other type of aggression issues. I was putting my fingers in her bowl with no issues and even took a bone from her with no dispute.

Never the less, I am planning on rehoming her into a good home, as I feel she deserves nothing less. She is a great dog who seems to be very placid and calm. She is very interested about the cats, but is easy to correct and recall, as her focus is easy to break (which is important).

Ultimately I would like to have a vet do a thorough check to make sure her health is in check and also have her spayed before I find her a new home. She has an appointment with our vet tomorrow evening and I am hoping to not get raped too much with the examination!!

This is such a sad situation, because it just highlights how these dogs are not sought after as pets, but as a tool and worse a weapon. Below are pictures of her and my dog Asia for comparison. They are roughly the same size, but the neglect of 'Honey' is obvious.

I have emailed Ador-A-Bull pit bull rescue to see if they can offer any assistance. My situation is not the best right now for fostering and taking care of vet bills, so I am hoping they can be of help. If anyone has any advice of how else I could be helped, I am open to suggesions.

Leslie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. SE

SE

Oh dear god :( Looks like you saved that dog's life. Good for you. :D

3. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

Wow Leslie, thats awesome.

Hopefully, everything checks out ok at the vet tomorrow!

4. kitty kat

kitty kat
    [OP]

yea lets hope!!

I worry about he legs, she seems terribly bow legged - Rickets - which is a condition that arises through poor nutrition as a pup :(

5. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

If he breeds them and was giving this one away, I can't help but be hopeful that the vet doesn't find anything wrong with him.

6. Beckins

No.

OMG, poor Honey. She is sooooo skinny ... it makes me so mad to see this kind of thing, and I'm sure it's happening all over the place. :( But a :bigup: to you and Ryan_NS for saving her, you guys deserve a medal! Hopefully Ador-a-bull will be able to give you some assistance and find her a great forever home.

7. kitty kat

kitty kat
    [OP]

yea, well he was breeding her. I noticed he had a couple younger Blues that he had. Im assuming, he was finished with her and wanted to move on to another more popular pit bull colouring which will financially benefit him in the future. She was now worthless to him, I'm guessing

8. Bean

Breasts

That makes me sick to my stomach! But good for you for helping out! That dog owes you life.

9. Pinkette

That make's me sick that someone could neglect such a sweet doggy.
    You two are amazing people for helping this pup.
    I wish I knew someone who was able to take her, I personally want to come snuggle her to pieces. She looks like she has been through a lot

10. Pinkette

Did you guys contact the SPCA about the guy?
    You can just call and explain the conditions and give his address.

11. kitty kat

kitty kat
    [OP]

i havent tried the SPCA because personally i know that they do not take surrenders.. basically strays and seizures only. I dont mind keeping her to foster, its just the funding to have her vet checked and spayed. I believe i will have no problem finding a suitable home for her.. i know they are out there.

I have contacted Adore-a-bull rescue group about funding or help already, waiting to hear back.

12. kitty kat

kitty kat
    [OP]

whoops i see what you are saying, the guy as in the previous owner.

I am waiting to have the vet's consultation before I consider anything. He has seen me in person, my bfs car, and has my email address.. i dont know if i want to risk any consequence of reporting him myself. I'll wait to see what the vet thinks, and if they want to take action.

13. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

Leslie, my friend Kris at Ador-A-Bull rescue will be contacting you - I finally got to touch base direct with her so I'm sending her the info and copying you. :x:

14. kitty kat

kitty kat
    [OP]

Thanks Amanda!! It looks like they will be able to help!! :D

15. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

Excellent! I figured they would after I talked to Kris. She thought she was beautiful! :)

16. ANGELL

Triple door fridge made it kid

I think this is the best thing I have read in a real long time, you did a amazing thing Les.

17. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Awesome job - Poor doggy.

+ Rep

18. midden

I LIKE TO EAT MITTENS

+ one rep from me too. i cant see me doing anything but the same, that dog needed you badly.

19. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

I heard today that she is going with Ador A Bull rescue and they loved her! You met 2 of my friends today too :D Yayyy Honey!

20. Hiltzy

poor honey :(

+ rep kitty kat for helpin out a doggah that obviously needed it

21. Melissa

Shar Pei Rock!

That poor girl!!
    Thank goodness you saved her & helped her out of her miserable life!

Stupid people who do that to dogs:pissed:

All his dogs should be taken away, as they will all end up like her in the future after he deems them "useless"

22. Kaylahaha

It's all good.

This is disgusting to think this stuff goes on so close to home.

When we got my Puppy paisley, aside from all the medical things we've gone through he was skinny as sin as well. :( I hate humans.

23. the_mitt

Ace Ventura

For many people who do not know. Quebec has started to shut down many of the puppy mills there (good for them). However the bad news is the puppy mills have moved to NB and NS.

There are no regulations or laws stating that "breeders" aka puppy mills have to register. The SPCA asked for those regulations under the new legislation bill 186 about 3 months ago but was turned down.

As Quebec cracks down we will see an increase in puppy mills.

24. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

And all we can do is ask each and everyone of you to be aware and make complaints (take pics if you safely can) of any bad situations.

25. the_mitt

Ace Ventura

And contact your MLA's/MP's tell them your not happy with the current laws.

26. Melissa

Shar Pei Rock!

Yeh there's a lady near me, not good at all.
    20 or so dogs in her basement, and about 13 puppies.

Sad :(

27. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

Have you contacted the SPCA? What kind of shape are the dogs in?

28. Melissa

Shar Pei Rock!

Oh yes I've already sent in a complaint, I guess she has had complaints before.

She doesn't let you see her basement dogs.

The puppies she keeps in a spare room. Some pups as old as 6 and 8 months that have had only one set of needles and thats it, no dewormer, no other vet visits. One spaniel his legs stuck out to the side everytime he walked or sat, she said it was normal, I doubt it.
    She also would tell me what time to come until the night before because "something came up" I think it is more like she had cleaning to do and wanted to make sure she got it done. When I was there it was clean, that was only the puppy room I saw though.
    Puppies that were almost 6 weeks old without their mom, a 6 month old Shih tzu that was so scared of people, if you walked to its wooden box it would huddle in the corner.
    She also claims they used to be fun to have but now they are a chore and it is no more fun. She is trying to sell her "breeding stock" but only to a breeder ... and the only breeder I think would buy those would be another BYB. Which is sad. Those dogs don't get to go outside, never walked on grass, smelled fresh air :(
    I reason I was interested in her and went to see what she was like was because she has a Shar pei female 9 months old that she is going to breed...once she finds a male :(
    She used to breed shar pei years ago, I know someone who bought one of her dogs when she stopped breeding them and she said it was so sad the state the dog was in. Extremely under socialized, never been out of the outdoor run, and it took her a long time to get the dog back to normal.
    Which is why I dont want her to start breeding Shar pei again ... especially with all these small breeds she has in her basement that are a "chore".
    She breeds Shih tzu, and Cavalier King charles spaniels.

Sorry for the long message ... she just really gets to me!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  29. Melissa

Shar Pei Rock!

The pictures came from a video so they are blurry but you can see where the legs stick out to the side, they were always like that, no matter what it was doing - sitting, walking, running, jumping. Anyone with Spaniel experience? Is it normal? I was told it was not by another person

[​IMG]

This was the 6 month old Shih tzu that was scared and huddled in the corner

[​IMG]