Website in the making C&C Please

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by ShutterMOM, Mar 5, 2009.

1. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

www.photobyloretta.ca

That's my new website. I could use any suggestions you got for me. I think it looks plain... I'm only putting up the website for people to check out some pictures to see if they want to hire me or not, basic information, you know. oh, and for the pricing... any comments would be appreciated cause I really don't know what to charge....

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

$85/hour for Baby Sitting?

Damn, I only charged like $5 when I was a kid. :lol:

3. Arod

I am no expert on site design so I am no help in that regard...but...some items on the site are rather cheesy such as the light bulb on the contact page, calculator on the pricing page and the faux reflection on the welcome page

4. SheOfManyChildren

Agree with Aaron.

Also don't like:

the white box around your name on the front
    the $ after the prices
    the babysitting/petsitting is odd
    too many "pleases" on the Contact page
    I wouldn't include the "I like to work with a white or black background" bit
    if you are "not limited" to the services listed, what else do you offer and why aren't you listing them?
    the reflections in the slideshow are really distracting, especially since it reflects your watermark as well

5. SheOfManyChildren

Also, if you are going to refer to copyright issues/law, I would do a personal run-down in layman's terms rather than post a link to the government site.

What's included in your sitting fee? If nothing, you need to say so. You will get asked CONSTANTLY.

Rather than having 3 sperate sitting fees, (which make you sound like a dogsitter and babysitter btw).....have ONE session fee with $15 add-ons.

6. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

"biting my nails nervously while waiting for the replies"

Can you tell I built it on my own?:happysad: hahahaha Ill work on it some more... Ill ley you guys know.

7. SheOfManyChildren

Also, currently, I can book a session for 4 people and a dog for $100.....but two children is $103.

Doesn't make sense.

8. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

What do mean included in sitting fee?
    Baby sitting... I was wondering if anyone would point that out! haha that HAS to go!

9. SheOfManyChildren

When a client calls you up and says, what do I get for the $100.....what are you going to say?

10. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

Right, I see what you're saying.

11. brokenhat

The font on the contact page is too big (in your face). The counter should only be on the front page (I wouldn't use one) and is too far below everything else. I would lose Made on a Mac, it makes it look mickey-mouse. I wouldn't personally say I prefer only two backgrounds, what about outside under a tree? In front of a family's fireplace? Etc...

12. spender

i thought the light bulb was pretty fun....

13. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

What do you mean?

14. Andrew

Social Worker To Be..

I just finished updating mine.. still tweaking it though. Lightbulb is clipart.. should go.

15. SheOfManyChildren

Nevernmind. If you let the page sit long enough it goes away. :hsugh:

Honestly, I would look into perhaps purchasing a template of some sort or even going with simply a blog.

I don't get a very professional feel from this one.

16. caper_girl

Call my crazy, but I thought the calculator was cheesy until I clicked on it and saw it actually worked, lol. Might not be a bad idea, maybe if it were just smaller.

17. SheOfManyChildren

Oh yeah.....don't sell 4x6s......you'll never sell anything bigger. ;)

18. brokenhat

:lol: Poor Tanya is still fuming from the clients a few weeks ago I see.

19. SheOfManyChildren

I've never sold 4x6s :) But EVERY client asks about them. I don't even sell 5x7s unless they're in a Collection.

20. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

Ok, here we go. I no longer offer babysitting or pet sitting. :D
    I got rid of the calculator and the light bulb
    I got rid of all the made on a mac icons
    Updated what the sitting fee includes (I won't be babysitting lol)

21. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

Let's see?

22. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

good point! what about wallets?

I am not familiar with the blog thing. Where could I get templates?

Really?

23. SheOfManyChildren

God no.....not me anyway.

I'm not Walmart.

If were ever to sell them, they would be only included in a Collection and not available a la carte.

24. SheOfManyChildren

Much better....but I would add "....includes my time and creativity only. Prints are available on an a la carte basis."

Or something like that.

25. SheOfManyChildren

Oh yeah, and now does the $85 cover one person? What about a family?

I would also not use "images/shots"....pick one.

I would indicate the MINIMUM number of images you are going to present, not the maximum. By those rules, you can show them only 1 picture if you want to.

26. Arod

I don't offer 4x6 or 5x7 prints in my price list but if anyone asks they are the same as my 8x10's.

27. SheOfManyChildren

Just looked at the guestbook.......yucky. :happysad:

28. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

damn you cold T.
    :lol:

Ok....sooo I will weigh in with a couple things. Show me more/better images on the front page. Sorry but that single shot on there looks wal-mart'ish'. If I saw that and I'm a client, I'm out the door before even getting to your 'gallery'. BTW the 'gallery' interface is terrible-more on that in a second. Not huge on the HUGE JESUS PHOTOGRAPHY BY LAURA in weird font that doesn't sit or flow with the rest of the site. I would use that real estate for more images up front...draw people in.
    OK...'gallery'. The interface is super duper clunky, and there is no indication that if you click on it it will expand to thumbnail section. Once I click a picture, if i click back on my browser it takes me back to that weird page with the two pictures that takes entirely too long to load. I would get pissed and leave. Actually lol I did. If i wasn't trying to help i would have kept on trucking. There's no indication on that page where you can pick one of two pictures to click on about what the gallery inside might contain. I clicked on the other one and found some pictures that appear to be from a zoo...an abstracty landscape type shot...some sort of flower and maybe 1.5 pictures that appear to be on point for the services you offer...unless you are looking at booking people with pet tigres and owls. For the 'youngsters' section you have 13 pictures...not a bad count..maybe a little weird of a number, it looks incomplete since it's a nice grid and then just a single picture...i would have just cut one of the pictures...maybe the out of focus one. Also you have 13 pictures of what appear to be mostly of the same subjects. I don't mean to sound harsh but out of all of those only maybe 2 or 3 are 'portfolio' material. You just got some new lights, right? Generate some kickass new content. Man it's a tough market, when you show people your best you have to stop them in their tracks. A couple of those in there appear to be damn near identical a few seem blurry/oof...and one of those kids looks a little aprehensive about what's up. Not a message you want coming through when people are looking at booking you. Sure...kids get nervous behind the camera-but you have to break them out of that...I'm not sure i'd show an image of a kid looking at me with a wtf are you doin over there type look.

Soooo to summerize
    1)front/first/whatever you want to call it page is weird. It doesn't really flow nice. Get more images on there
    2)gallery interface is bad. not intuitive and no instructions or indication of what to do/what's going on
    3)you need more/better portfolio content. Diversify that shit son! be more selective in editing what gets in your port. :happysad: I want to not sound like a jerk when i say this..but honestly T is right.... just a blog might be a better option that you update with 1 or two images from each new shoot and a link to see a gallery of images from it. Write a small blurb about the shoot etc. Do that for a few months till you build a really bulletproof portfolio and THEN build a site that really revolves around/showcases your work. You will be much better off in the long run. Think new, more contemprary with the images...anyone can go knock out a boring wal-mart snap for 5 bucks, why am I paying you 100ish?(i say ish because i'm still not really sure on the pricing/what's included)
    4)oh...and the random weird quotes from famous photographers....i'd kill those....replace them with feedback quotes from customers or something if you realy feel you need to...but I'd probly kill those.

29. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

What do you suggest is a good number? 20?

1. Which ones are you talking about? And why? What makes them portfolio material?

2. That is a good idea since I don't really have that much to work with just yet. To tell you the truth I really didn't know what a blog was...:happysad:

30. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

Well, since you pulled the site and I can't really remember the images on it...that's going to be hard. The one with the blanket on the baby and the cat in the window are the only two that really stand out in my memory...and i guess that sorta answers the second part of your question...they are port material because they stood out and I remember them. the trick is to compose your port mostly of images that have that sort of impact.

As for the blog and not having much to work with-I truly think it's a better route for you. it will be a better representation of your work as you progress...rather than a bunch of images that look similar of the same few subjects. variety is key here....plus...people are funny. if they see pictures of only one or two people they back away a little, they like to hire people that lots of people have hired-and if you can create a brand for yourself and get people talking about you-the jonses will all hire you just to say that you did work for them too.

31. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

OOps, I updated some stuff and something happened... my site disappeared but it should be back up. Sorry about that!

Good point!

32. N / A

when you navigate between links it should look like the content just changed but to me it looks like everything shifts a little. It also bugs me that it's not centered in the window

33. GBP

GBP
    Dont chu be hating

here's my 2 cents....

never use iWeb for a photography website

34. ShutterMOM

ShutterMOM
    [OP]

ummm that should be fixed...:hsugh:

35. N / A

still looks off going from the index page into the site