We’re at a Turning Point in Canada for Illegal Downloading

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by NameLeSS, Dec 23, 2014.

1. infatuous

The notices are not there to help you save yourself from charges. They are there as a deterrent, to scare you. From what I understand, it's working and many people I've talked to have stopped downloading. Some people are more easily scared than others I guess. Out of many millions of people in Canada who download, how many have been charged?

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I dunno what the actual law around those is tbh

3. clicker666

Older lifter

4. Wayne

I still don't understand why everyone feels its ok to download for free. If your local butcher could only send you notices to scare you when you stole meat, would you continue to steal meat?

You are stealing something people worked hard on, it wasn't cheap to produce.

5. clicker666

Older lifter

The principal argument is that when you download something it doesn't disappear, unlike your meat. (hehe) There is no physical loss of material. The original piece can be reproduced and stolen a billion times and still exist, unharmed.

(I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just answering your question).

6. hank

Yeah but would you download a car?

Dewie likes this.
  7. Wayne

Fair point. I guess until they start fining people they won't change. I won't download or stream illegally. Probably one of a dozen people who actually rent content from Bell On-Demand consistently :lol:

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I pay a small fortune for cable every month. I'd have no problem downloading a show to watch at my own convenience because I already paid for it.

9. Wayne

Now that is an arguable point, one they should consider in future laws. If you subscribe to the content in any form, you should have access to the content in any form. I am more talking about people who pay nothing anywhere and download content willy nilly.

10. clicker666

Older lifter

oooh oooh!

[​IMG]

11. infatuous

My cable bill is $200/month. I pay for HBO, Crave, Netflix, all that shit. The problem is their delivery model still sucks ass so bad it's easier to download and stream than it is to use their shitty service and interfaces.

12. Wayne

So that makes it ok then, I mean if it's not as easy for you, I get it. I just fish in the salmon farm instead of the river because it's not as easy for me.

13. 17

teenage dirtbag

thats not the same at all.

its like if he paid a membership to fish at a lake but decided on buying filets at the lake store instead.

14. Wayne

But he's not buying the filets from the store, he's stealing them.

15. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I was fucking with her. :)

16. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

You're essentially stating that you could claim ignorance. Ignorance of the law is not a valid defence.

17. infatuous

No, by subscribing to those channels, I've paid for the content. HBO is not out any money. I paid my $20 for the month. I should get to watch their show any way that is most convenient for me. By your analogy, the grocery store where I bought my fillets would be telling me I had to pan fry them and not bake them.

18. clicker666

Older lifter

In the old days there was a levy placed on cassette tapes to allow for format shifting - record album to cassette. The only time format changing should not be allowed is when you have to defeat digital locks to do it. (and I believe there are provisions in the act for that).

I understand where you're coming from on this one - my Bell PVR sucks ass. When it goes down and a show I wanted gets lost I just snag it from a torrent site. In my mind I've already paid Bell once to watch this show, again to record it, and now a third time for the internet to get it.

I've substantially cut my piracy since the advent of Netflix and music streaming services. I said I would, when there was an "all-you-can eat solution", and there is now. I don't pirate games either.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  19. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Currently downloading 10 Shows - FTW

20. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

You're comparing a consumable (fillet) to one that isn't (content) and your analogy doesn't work. More appropriate would be saying that just because you paid for a painting gives you the rights to all the prints as well, which it doesn't. When you buy cable you are buying access to the channel and all shows on it. It doesn't mean that you can keep a copy for yourself anymore than you should be allowed to film phantom of the Opera on Broadway so you can watch it at home just because you bought tickets to see it live.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  21. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

I'm trying to download these fish you guys keeping talking .... but I can't find the torrent. :confused:

22. 17

teenage dirtbag

you should try downloading a torrent that makes you funny

Dewie, Beaker and JoeLouie like this.
  23. J0e Th0rnton

The problem is, you are not physically stealing an item from a butcher. It is virtually cloning/replicating technology.

If you could clone food instantly ala Star trek replicators so everyone could have it free, we would do that too.

Do you have a similar problem with streaming sites and youtube type sites? Because it is simplicity itself to download the video directly from those sites too. Or devices that enable you to skip commercials? Commercial advertising companies pay a prime dime to TV channels to play their content, yet the distributors give us the "convenience" to bypass commercials in seconds.

I am paying cable to see these TV shows, and I could easily record the shows. But this is convenient. If I drop cable, I will get netflix and still get to see those shows or movies and could record it if I wanted. No different than when I used to record things on a VCR or dub a cassette.

It is a polarizing topic.

As far as I am concerned, the internet is like Robin Hood, stealing from the rich and distributing it to the poor. People can rail on "stealing" and somesuch, but the fact of the matter is they were gauging us on prices with no end in sight as early as the mid 90's for things we already paid for. $17-20 on average for a CD back when minimum wage was $5 or less and investigations into major companies in collusion working together to fix prices high that they managed to get politically excused and buried. To say nothing of the fact that they also got to re-release their entire catalogue of music as CD's and discontinued cassette players so people HAD to buy CD's and CD players if their cassette player broke or the tape got eaten. CD's were also lighter and cost 1/2 the cost of shipping to them. At the cost of, oh, $1 to make the disc.

The corporations got greedy. The public responded. Revolution.

24. JoeLouie

Somewhat related, but it's no different that Microsoft and Sony charging the same (if not more) for digital downloads than physical copies. There's no packaging, no shipping, no actual physical product to handle, and while the physical product will frequently go on sale there are rarely sales on the digital versions. I realize that they need servers to handle the digital copies, but they're servers that they would already have anyways.

25. Scott

rawr

26. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

So long story short the letters are bullshit and Torrent on. :thumbsup: