1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The More You Know: Walmart Canada Hacked: 60,000 Credit Cards at Risk

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Jul 20, 2015.

1. C. Mike Hunt

https://freedomhacker.net/walmart-canada-hacked-60000-credit-cards-risk-4413/

Walmart Canada is investigating a potential breach into their online Photocentre photo processing website, where hackers may have stolen as many as 60,000 credit cards. In response, Walmart Canada shut down the photo website for reasons regarding a “potential compromise of customer credit card data.”

“Our customers’ privacy is of the utmost importance,” the company
    wrote in a statement Sunday. “We immediately launched an investigation and will be contacting customers who may be impacted.”

Walmart officials have said they do not believe Walmart.com, Walmart.ca or in-store transaction were affected, but rather suggested that all Walmart Canada Online Photocentre customers spend ample time monitoring their credit cards and bank statements for fraudulent charges and are directed to notify their financial institution immediately if unauthorized charges begin to appear.

“We were recently informed of a potential compromise of customer credit card data involving Walmart Canada’s Photocentre website, www.walmartcanadaphotocentre.ca, which is operated by a third-party,” said Alex Roberton, director of corporate affairs and social media at Walmart Canada. “We recommend Walmart Canada’s Online Photocentre customers monitor their card transactions closely and immediately alert their financial institution about any unauthorized charges.”

Robertson also confirmed that the company has shut down their website and mobile application. Walmart Canada also “notified the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and will continue to work proactively with Canada’s privacy regulators as the investigation continues”

The Privacy Commissioner of Canada has the authority to investigate complaints filed by Canadian citizens, and report on whether there has been a violation of the Privacy Act, which deals with personal information held by the government of Canada, alongside personal information held by the private sector.

As many as 60,000 customer credit cards could be affected in the breach, an anonymous source disclosed to
    The Globe and Mail.

Walmart Canada’s Photocentre website is managed by a third-party firm, PNI Digital Media, which was acquired by Staples in 2014. PNI Digital Media also collects and manages customer credit card information directly through the site.

“We take the protection of information very seriously. PNI is investigating a potential credit card data security issue,” a Staples spokesperson said while speaking with
    The Star. “PNI is investigating a potential credit card data security issue. If an issue is discovered, it is important to note that consumers are not responsible for any fraudulent activity on their credit cards that is reported on a timely basis.”

The Walmart Canada hack could be troubling considering PNI website stouts the company’s “19,000 retail locations and 8,000 in-store kiosks.” It has not yet been confirmed if other retailers utilizing the service were affected.

The hack came just days before CVS shutdown their photo service in light of a potential card breach. Costco, CVS, Rite Aid, Sams Club, Tesco and Walgreens are all companies who have taken similar action in shutting down their photo service in light of the potential credit card breach at Walmart Canada.

Just last fall is was revealed that
    hackers broke into Staples and installed point-of-sale malware on the company’s machines for the longer-part of six months, leading to some 1.16 million credit cards being compromised. In total, some 115 Northeastern-based stored were affected in the breach.

Customers with concerns regarding the Walmart Canada hack have been directed to contact 1-888-763-4077.

2. Leviathan

It's all in your mind....

Wait - walmart customers have credits cards? WTF??? :p

3. hank

4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You say that like having a credit card is a status symbol.

ouird likes this.
  5. ouird

I'm Weird

Right?
    they also Sell their own credit card now too. Another bane of my existence

6. hank

"Will that be on your Walmart Rewards Mastercard today?"

No, no it won't

KLD likes this.
  7. Relentless

It pretty much is. It's a status symbol of having good credit. You can not argue that Walmart and good credit are by any means correlated.

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I was 19 with no credit when I got my first CC. They hand those things out like candy.

9. Relentless

Congrats, I was 18. Students get auto approved as part of the get em while their young strategy.

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Not sure exactly what point you're trying to make tbh :o

11. Relentless

I could say the same. You questioned the status symbol. I said it was a symbol of good credit. You then went on to say you got auto approved as a student. So again, congrats you maintained good credit. My original comment about Walmart and good credit being correlated stands. You have yet to offer a rebuttal to that. Getting credit and maintaining credit are not the same.

12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

So having a credit card in Walmart means you had good or no credit at one moment of your life and were able to obtain a credit card. Plenty of folks out there have bad credit and still have a credit card. Like I said, hardly a status symbol.

13. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'd guess that one could walk through Walmart and find a dozen people with racked credit cards and a shitty credit score quite handily.

14. ouird

I'm Weird

This can also happen in any IT office, any Govt office, any Bank, any engineers office, doctors office, and so on, and so on and so on.

15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah exactly. If they took credit cards away from folks who misused them or couldn't afford them, then you could say they are a status symbol. (it would also probably help a lot of people out)

16. Leviathan

It's all in your mind....

Nope - I say that as in "people who usually frequent Walmart - a store based on low prices - can sometimes be broke-ass mofos" - thus the credit card joke. :)

****yes, I know, broke-ass mofos can get credit cards too****

17. hank

Stupid question but do some of y'all not shop at Walmart? I'm getting the "only poor people shop at Walmart" vibe :lol:

JoeLouie and clicker666 like this.
  18. ouird

I'm Weird

I shop at Walmart.

19. never_be_sold

Regular Walmart shopper right here...

20. KLD

KLD

It is hard to get through the whole thing....but I couldn't resist.

JoeLouie and hank like this.
  21. hank

Long time since I've watched that :lol:

22. Grifter

Bluh?

23. chainsaw

Folks got a call from BMO tonight, charges over $2k in quebec to their BMO MC mom used walmart PhotoCentre in December

24. visual_kool

I shop at Walmart. I have 100% fraud protection on my card. Anyone can get hacked, so I see it as all part of the risk of shopping online

25. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah I don't really worry about purchases when I see CC info hacked. I'm more worried about any other information like my address and phone number.

26. Wayne

1%er

I try not to very hard, but nothing to do with poor people, all to do with evil empire /tinfoilhat