USB or Eithernet cable ??.

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by 96GSR, May 26, 2004.

1. 96GSR

96GSR
    [OP]

My computer works fine just wondering witch one gives better results and is faster ??.

2. Dural

Insert something witty

Depends on the purpose of the cable.

USB is not your typical networking cable, it's primary use is to connect a device to your computer. In some situations it can connect Cable/DSL modems directly to your computer. In this situation it's not technically networking. However, you can buy USB network cards which are much more expensive but do everything a normal internal Network Card does.

So like I said above, depends on the use you have in mind for it.

3. Omerta

im assuming your trying to choose between connecting a ethernet cable or a USB from your cable modem to your pc i would say USB if it is a short distance as it supports around 200mps ? where a ethernet cable does about 10/100mps depending on your card... no distinct advantage to either other than which one is closer adn less work to get .

4. Cody

Correction: USB 1.1 spec is 12Mbits/sec. Actual throughput will be less than 6Mbits/sec for most devices.

USB 2.0 spec is designed to compete with firewire and offers up to 480Mbit/sec. (Actual performance numbers will be less).

I'm 99% sure the motorola cable modems eastlink provides are 1.1 spec, but since the device will never see more than 5 Mbit throughput USB 1.1 should suffice.

I would still stick to ethernet though, the USB interface on surfboard modems is known to be less reliable than good old ethernet.

5. Dural

Insert something witty

Again, the question is what is your intended use?

6. 96GSR

96GSR
    [OP]

Thanks you guys answered my question.

7. Burnsie

.:\'.'/:.

5 months on the USB connection (my mac address was already in use on eastlink, i though a mac was suppose to be unique, guess not).... no issues, 600k/sec all day long.

8. JoeLouie

Mine was faster using the USB cable. Not a big difference... but a bit faster.