Unite the Right

Discussion in 'Alberta' started by Relentless, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Relentless

Relentless
    [OP]

Soooo AB crew. Thoughts and comments on Kenny's plan? It's pretty clear that if doesn't already, he will shortly, have enough delegates to win the PC leadership. My riding held the Delegate Selection Meeting on Wednesday this week. The room was full to capacity, lots of Kenny support. Lots of passion from the few that support keeping the PC and revamping it under Khan. While I am supported of a more central gov't I support Kenny simply from his experience in politics. He knows how to win an election, and that will be most important in 2019.

People who aren't far right and fear merging with WRP, I say Kenny's plan is to start a brand new party. One where members will vote on the constitution and have a say in developing policy. I strongly feel that the fear of it being a alt right type of movement are far overblown. I really hope the Khan supporters who are mostly in our demographic stick it out. In all honesty where are they going to go? Liberal or AB party can barely win one seat let alone a majority.

2. Duggan

I was at the PC delegate selection for my riding, twice actually, Kenny showed up the first time and wasn't supposed to so those votes got thrown out and we had to go through the entire process again. I think there needs to be a choice that can defeat the NDP who has a defined path of what they are looking to do. The NDP is running rampant with the majority, and there is no regard for the smaller towns at all. The Leap manifesto, while not completely supported, is terrifying.

3. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

If Kenny wins PC power, is he successful in merging with WR?

I think the WRP has a super strong grassroots movement in Alberta and Brian Jean is very popular. It would be interesting to see who would come out on top.

4. slouse

Huge Brian Jean fan here

5. Smokey

I support a merger, assuming it's done in the manner that Kenny is proposing.

6. Relentless

Relentless
    [OP]

Kenny wins he would dissolve the PC (assuming WRP does the same) and a new party starts from the ground up.

Jean hasn't said much about it other than when Kenny first announced his plan. At the time Jean said he was all for a merger, under the WRP banner.

Jean, Kenny or a yet to be named could emerge as the eventual leader.

7. Relentless

Relentless
    [OP]

I feel that if they do unite, Kenny or Jean are capable leaders. Jean given his born and bread in AB vs Kenny who just happens to live here. I like Jean over Kenny but the wildcard is the far right. If they continue to deny climate change, LGBT rights, abortion ect they won't have a chance of winning the cities.

8. Relentless

Relentless
    [OP]

In case anyone missed it, Jean supports uniting and has declared he will run for leader of newly formed party.

9. Duggan

I think I would be inclined to lean his way over Kenney at this point.

10. Ameter

I'm a social liberal and fiscal conservative. I've voted conservative all my life. Kenny is another Prentice and if they merge with the Wild Rose they'll effectively be a copy of the Republican party from down south. No thanks. I may be voting liberal for the first time in my life soon.

Same story federally, if certain people manage to win the leadership.

11. Grifter

Bluh?