UFC 94 (Spoliers Inside)

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Hiltzy, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Hiltzy

Hiltzy
    [OP]

Love the beating that GSP gave BJ Penn.....good fight. Very much loved the dancing around in a cicle singing "ole ole ole ole" :lol:

2. turtle beach

retired

bj penn was terrible. what a let down that guy is.

3. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

BJ has filed a grievance because GSP had Vaseline on his back. :rofl:

4. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

The officials saw it, removed it and took away his corners Vaseline.

Dana has said it didn't affect the outcome of the fight so nothing will happen.

5. TheDirtyFresh

6. MRA

MRA

he wasn't COVERED in it was a first sized bit in the middle of his back.

7. Mystik

He wasn't covered in it. It was a tiny spot on the back of his neck. The guy that put the vaseline on his face also rubbed his neck for him, he wasn't putting vaseline back there. They removed it with a towel right away, it was unintentional from an inexperienced cornerman. They say that rubbing the back of the neck and smacking his chest is a ritual that GSP has done in every fight, the cornerman just messed up by doing vaseline first. They also twist the nipples of the fighters before the fights in Greg Jackson's camp. Another pre fight ritual.

I love the excuses people come up with for Penn's loss. The simple fact is Penn is a lightweight fighter and can't hang with the welterweights. He needs to stay in his own weight class and dominate it.

Oh and amth, GSP fought at 187, Penn fought at 168. A 19 pound difference, not 30 pounds. :)

8. TheDirtyFresh

Yeah I saw the clip and it looked like he was toweled off, I just thought that gif was funny. Penn is just being a whining bitch, "he had vaseline on his back, that's why he was able to beat me like a red headed stepchild"

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  9. NameLeSS

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog...ner-cheat-to-give-him-an-edge-?urn=mma,138156

10. turtle beach

retired

BJ got bitched.

11. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

that was a boring fight...there was hardly any standup
    I have to give Penn some credit, to put on the weight to step up to welterweight that was like 20 pounds he put on

12. MRA

MRA

You only think a good fight is one that has a ton of standup action?

go watch boxing?

:lol:

13. Ron Mexico

From watching MMA things can change any second. If Penn missed one move because of the vasoline the whole fight might be different.

Just saying.

Any of you guys watch the pre-show where it showed BJ not training and playing around instead. Then at the fight he shows up and is outclassed.
    Not sure how the UFC finds that good marketing. Takes away from them as professional athletes.

14. MRA

MRA

same day weigh in's is a MUST...

15. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Did I say that? The majoirty of the fight was on their backs and I would rather see more stand up

16. Ty

Ty
    Freddy Beach Bad Boy

I thought the whole card was pretty boring. I did enjoy the beatdown GSP put on Penn, but other than that, I didn't find it very exciting. As far as GSP vs. Penn, Penn could have been covered in KY Jelly and GSP still would have smacked him around like he did, the vaseline had no bearing on the outcome of that fight IMO.

17. Mystik

Even he doesn't know if it was intentional and GSP's corner is saying it wasn't. Phil Nurse messed up and forgot to wipe his hands clean before rubbing GSP's back. Shit happens in the heat of the moment. I find it funny how everyone says it probably changed the outcome of the fight, or that it could have changed the outcome when it's clearly stated that GSP was wiped down before the round started. The vaseline had nothing to do with the beating that Penn received. Penn was ill prepared for the fight and it showed.

Get your panties unbunched people. It was an accident and a mistake. Penn still didn't stand a chance so it really makes no difference.

I agree about the same day weigh ins 100%. However Penn knew he would be at a size disadvantage in this fight, he should have trained for it. Everyone knows that everyone cuts weight and then puts it back on for the fight. To assume you can fight at 170 pounds as a welterweight is completely stupid. :shrug: I wish it would change though.

I would love to see this. I agree 100%.

18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

How about the fact that he is skilled as fuck? :eek3:

19. Scott

rawr

I disagree with BJ being better. Hes got skills, no doubt. He wouldnt be where he is today without em. But GSP dominated. Did the weight difference play a part? Sure, but GSP was clearly the more skilled fighter.

20. Ty

Ty
    Freddy Beach Bad Boy

Well maybe he should have stayed in his natural weight class then, instead of being big man and stepping up to an obviously superior fighter. Classic case of letting your mouth write a cheque your ass has to cash.

21. NameLeSS

Matt Hughes Says GSP Felt Greasy In Their Last Two Fights

Now, on to what everybody is talking about, the greasing. I’m not the only one who has said that GSP felt greasy during a fight. I know Matt Serra has mentioned it and, even in their first fight, I think BJ said something. I’m not saying GSP did something wrong and I’m not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy.

GSP On Penn Complaint: I Think It Is An Excuse

Josh Gross at SI.com gets Georges St. Pierre's thoughts on the BJ Penn camp moving forward on greasing complaint to the NSAC:

"I just can't believe it. I don't know. I'm just surprised. I'm not a cheater. What happened is my trainer, my Muay Thai coach, he put Vaseline on my face and then put his hand on my chest and back. But that's a technique we use for breathing. It's good. It's used in Muay Thai. I use it in many of my fights. If you look at my previous fights, it's not the first time he does that. Then B.J. said he put Vaseline and rubbed my back. Anyway, I think it's an excuse. I have nothing to hide. I'm not even afraid to go into court and fight that.

When I lose, I always try to figure out why I lose. But the problem with B.J., he tries to figure out why he loses, but he doesn't focus on himself. He focuses on the other person. When I lost the fight I focused on what I did wrong. I didn't focus on what I cannot change. B.J., instead of focusing on things he can change to make himself better, he tries to focus on things he doesn't have any control over, and tries to find some excuse that it's not up to him. It's really an excuse. He should focus on things that he can change about himself in the fight to make himself better. That would be a better approach for him..."

22. Mystik

They ask them to not even talk to each other at all in the cage as well. :lol: You can only throw in the towel between rounds, not while your fighter is being submitted or beaten silly.

So amth, was it the "greasing" that allowed GSP to pass Penn's guard like a hot knife through butter? I doubt it, unless they greased his legs without anyone noticing.

23. Hiltzy

Hiltzy
    [OP]

IMO its all sour grapes from BJ Penn....his ego took a hit....he's pissed off about it.

24. Mystik

He didn't always break the high guard. GSP also slipped out of half guard. My point is had Penn been better conditioned he would have done better. Penn is a lightweight, he gasses far too easy at 170. He needs to stick to 155 and dominate there until retirement.

25. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Penn is filing a complaint saying his life was at risk. :hsugh:

26. Scott

rawr

27. Mystik

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Everyone's life is at risk when they step into fight. It's part of the sport. You don't like it? Don't fight for a living. What a bitch. I like him less and less every time he opens his mouth.

28. Snide

Go Habs Go!

I've always had a lot of respect for BJ Penn, until now

29. Snide

Go Habs Go!

30. Mystik

:werd: I just don't like him or his training ethics. But as a fighter he has the skills, he just needs to get the mental part of it in check during training. IMO he needs to leave Hawaii for his training. He seems to get distracted too easily there...but can you blame him?

I'd be in for a GSP vs Penn rematch. I think it would be a great fight. And like I've always said, there is a huge possibility that Penn submits GSP from his back, so that always makes it intense to watch.

31. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

How is saying it was a tiny amount and it was wiped off a lie?

Even if they were told to wipe it off, it was still wiped off.

32. Mark

Practically Hip

This.

That and coupled with the fact that during the fight, the fighters are going to get sweaty and can slip out of guards easier. So the whole "omg he was lubed up" thing is stupid.

This whole thing is bullshit.

33. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Those guys could lose everything they own and still have enough cash in the bank to keep the UFC going... not that it isn't making them fist fulls of money.

34. Mark

Practically Hip

no doubting that

however it was wiped off....so i don't really see how this adversely affected BJ who was going to lose regardless

35. Mark

Practically Hip

ya but that's after he rubbed the vaseline on his face, he didn't take anymore vaseline from his left hand to rub onto GSP

there might have been some residue yes, but i dont think it makes a huge difference