TV peeps, inside

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Scott, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

Looking at maybe getting a TV. Family room so nothing crazy. I dont play video games, so not a factor. Just reg TV and want some HD sports.

Saw this at leons

http://www.leons.ca/shared/product/product.aspx?ItemId=-1&ChildItemId=1374426

Now Best Buy has it for the same price. So im guessing I may be able to get a few $$ of it if I kick up a stink.

Now future shop has this TV. Only difference over the 530 is the USB port.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0770HDS0010099946&logon=&langid=EN

Any other suggestions? Im looking to try and stay under $1300 with taxes. Reason Im looking at Leons is we're looking at some furniture as well.

2. Majarvis

Awesome TV. I have the 32" version and it's amazing. I don't really have any recommendations, other than if it's more expensive at Future Shop, get it there because they will price match wherever it's cheaper and beat that difference by 110%, so you'd be saving more money there. Just print off the ad of the cheaper price, and away you go. If it's more expensive at Best Buy, get it there and do the same. You'll want to get it price matched wherever it's more expensive, because you want the difference in price to be larger for the 110% price match guarantee that both Future Shop and Best Buy have.

3. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

Its actually on sale at Best Buy and Sears. All for $999. Will any beat a matched price?

4. Majarvis

It's on for $999 at all places? If that's the case, try Future Shop. Since the sale is the same everywhere there won't be any price matching, but since they work on commission, you may be able to get something thrown in if you get a warranty or something. Worth a shot anyway.

5. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

Sorry, FS has a different model, same price though. Leons, BB & Sears all have the 530 for $999.

6. Majarvis

Oh okay. Well in that case, I would go with the 550 from FS. The 530 is an older model. If the 530 was less money, I'd say go for that, but since the 550 at FS is the same price as the 530 from the other places, I'd go with the 550. I'm extremely happy with mine.

7. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

8. 17

teenage dirtbag

Carl picked up a Samsung 500 or whatever 46" from FS today. Its pretty sick

9. Majarvis

No problem. Either TV is great, but for the same price, you might as well go with the 550. :cool:

10. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

Picked up the 550 today. No HD until Thursday though :(

11. Majarvis

Nice! You'll be extremely happy with it. I recommend turning the back light down to 5 though (I think the default is 7). I found with it on 7, it washed out the dark colours too much.

Who are you getting HD from? If it's Eastlink, make sure they bring the model with HDMI output. The first time they came to hook it up here, they came with the model without HDMI that only used composite. It took them three days to come back with the right unit. You probably wouldn't notice a difference, but since you just spent all that money on an HDTV, you might as well have them bring a model with HDMI output. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  12. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

Yeah its eastlink. I know online they say they supply all the HDMI cables so I would assume it would be the proper model. I'll give them a call and make sure though.

13. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Never EVER assume with them. The boxes come from the installers inventory, so they will bring what they have. I would call eastlink and have them put in the notes on the work order that "customer requests DCT with HDMI output.

14. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

Just did that. She made sure to note it on the work order. She said if its just the DVR install then no it probably wouldnt have HDMI outputs, but since it does say HD install, Im good, but was going to note "MAKE SURE HAS HDMI OUTPUTS" on the order :lol:

15. Majarvis

Yeah, they say that on the website, but they'll show up with the model without HDMI, guaranteed. That's what happened to me.

16. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

They came today, installed box, HD was glorious. They left, i hit the guide button, nothing. Hit everyone other button, nothing. Only buttons that work on the remote are the channel buttons.

Call Eastlink, box wont reset. Call the install team back. Try another box. Guide now works, no HD. No DVR. No more boxes :pissed:

Coming back on Tuesday :cry::cry:

17. shaun

Freedom 27

what a clusterfuck....

18. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

And the wife just called, its been shutting off and on by itself :ugh2:

19. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

Wife just called, everything is working now. She said after I left the box had a seizure , turned off and on a few times, got a green solid screen, a no signal screen, then came back and all is good.

Hoping it stays that way!

20. Majarvis

Did they bring the unit with HDMI output like they were supposed to?

21. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Awwww how cute. It misses you already.

22. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

sounds about par for the course for eastlink HD...oh wait that's just the sound and occasionally the picture. to truly understand the beauty of that tv, you really gotta pick up a blu ray player. THEN you'll see glorious. We had some friends over one night to watch a blu ray, and after the movie switched to tmn HD...there was a preview for the same movie we'd just watched on...and it looked like absolute ass in comparison. :( I haven't done a good test yet, but I'm positive the HD rips of shows I dl even look better than the HD cable we get..i'm guessing it's compressed up the ass :(
    Either way-its a FUCK of a lot better than standard def. I am actually looking forward to watching the Daytona 500 this year, and I'm not that big of a nascar fan.

Congrats on the purchase. But get blu ray asap.

23. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

They did!

I dont watch a ton of movies. So im not in a rush to fork out the coin for a blueray player just yet. But i agree, HD in blueray is :bowdown:

24. Majarvis

Yep, The Dark Knight looks amazing on the 550 series.

Does anyone else have the same problem as me with the Eastlink HD DVR, in that when I'm watching a movie or playing a game on my PS3, the DVR will have a "hickup", like it turns off for a split second, which causes an interruption on the display of the movie or game I'm playing?

25. Majarvis

I am quite shocked, lol.

26. Jester

b00n

When I got my Eastlink HD setup their faq explicitly stated that they did not provide hdmi cables. So mines hooked up with component. My box has no HDMI only a DVI port and even the DVI port on mine doesn't work. The box just sits there flicking on and off DVI on the front panel.

27. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

Ok, it seems to be working fine now. Only one issue, my volume doesnt work on my remote. It shows the volume changing on the screen but it doesnt change.

So my uncle calls me 2min ago. He got a DVR and HD put in today as well. Different install crew, but his is the same way. No volume. Have to use the TV remote.

And is there a way to change the screen size on the eastlink remote? Sorta a pain when you're going back and forth to keep changing screen size.

28. cRoy

SensArmy

My volume will not adjust with the cable box either. However, if I press the TV button on the remote it will then work.

They also offered to supply the HDMI cable for me, lol.

And I know for a fact that all their HD PVR do not come with HDMI slots. A friend of mine just got one, they hooked it up through component. He didn't know to ask them for the HDMI one, so he is calling them to bring him a new one.

29. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

ok. You have to set your audio in the dvr to auto.

Then you want to set your tv volume, or reciever volume whichever you use, to the default so regardless of what setting you are using only your main volume changes. Set the volume on the dvr once and then don't touch it.

30. CyberCX

GIGGITY, GIGGITY, GIGGITY

When I first got my DVR from Eastlink they gave me a visibly used unit. It was all scratched/beat to fuck and it looked like ass in my entertainment center. There was no HDMI port on the back, but they were nice enough to leave me a new HDMI cable. My landlord called and they brought me a brand new machine, complete with HDMI connections. Now if only it came in black. My only complaint about Eastlink is that their high def channels come in blocky or choppy at times.

31. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

:bigup: Will try this at lunch.

So basically to adjust the volume you always gotta hit the TV button. I went through the book last night and it said to adjust the DVR volume to around 3/4s full, then leave it and adjust through the TV.

Not a huge issue, just sorta backwards to what Ive been doing :lol:

32. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Sorta.

Partially ignore what I just wrote. I just came in after an 18hr day having just guillotined my finger between a 2x2" peice of channel iron, and a steel gate in the freezing cold. My hand was starting to thaw and the pain was setting in.

I can't remember how, but you can make TV volume default, so no matter what the remote is set to, (TV, CABLE, DVD etc) it will still adjust the TV.
    I think its something like choosing TV, then pushing the + and the up volume button at the same time.

Then once the tv is on, set the remote to cable, and that's it.

PS leave the DVR on all the time.

33. Scott

Scott
    [OP]
    rawr

That was going to be my next question. I used to always turn off my old cable box. I assumed in order to record stuff, the DVR must stay on.

I'll try the volume thing at lunch.

34. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Yeah, gotta stay on to record, and since its just a rental I don't really care about heat buildup or anything.

35. Majarvis

It also has to stay on to update the channel guide, which only stores two weeks in advance at a time.