1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble playing AVI files::Codec Hell

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Dural, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Dural

Dural
    [OP]
    Insert something witty

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ws_pdtv_xvid-fov.avi

Ok after downloading the above file (xxx=episode name) I have been unable to play this successfully. The video plays with no distortion but there is no sound. WMP attempts to connect to codec server but eventually gives and error. Divx player 2.1(more up to date versions give the same thing) say "The file contains unknown audio data (contains Audio data: Tag 85). Power DVD doesn't give an error but will not play the sound just the video.

I have installed the Nimo Build 8 codec pack, the LAME audio decoder 3.xx, xvid 1.0.3-x, and various other codec packs that have worked on all my trouble files before.

I have AVIcodec and GSpot which say I have like 3 different audio codec's that can decompress the data. Although GSpot says there is a problem rendering the sound(no kidding as no program I have will play the audio). I have hard time believing the files are corrupt as there are 3 of them and they all act the same. Each were posted to the net a week apart from each other and there is no indication of *fixed* links. Also I ran them through Div Fix and it found no problems but I rebuild the files just to be on the safe side.

Still these files will not play sound for me. I'm not all that good at lip reading and the files do not come with closed captioning. Please offer up any suggestions that you might have.

2. GiPWeb

Me is I

What kind of audio do the proggies say it is. You might need to reinstall it.

G.i.P

3. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Have you installed the K-lite codec pack? This is just about the only codec pack I have found that has everything I need.

4. ZorK

I post, therefore I exist

may be that video file has an AC3 audio track n if u dont have a Ac3 codec installed u wont be able to play the sound. besides, dont use WMP, just dont, WMP will say it cant play files because there is no codec even when u have every codec in the world n other players play the file. also, dont use divx player, r u nuts? use BsPlayer, it'll play any shit u want. and like gpweb said, what does it say in audio properties?

5. ZorK

dont use codec packs, they usually come with malware n sometimes they mess with ur OS. for example, I have installed xvid codec (last version, xvid decodes divx), a ac3 decoder, mp3 (of course) n I can play any .avi file.

6. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

The K-lite codec pack is clean.It is developed by the makers of Kazaa lite.It has AC3 included.

7. ZorK

8. GiPWeb

Me is I

im with zork. no codec paks. you'ld be amazed the ones you'll never need. Although I do use wmp cause I like an all in one solution. The best alternative is Media Player Classic. Its awesome.

MPC

Also if you dont like real player you can try

Real Alternative

and finally if you dont like quicktime you can install

Quicktime Alternative

If I remember correctly once you have them installed real media and quicktime will play in MPC

G.i.P

9. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

All of the things you mentioned are included in the K-lite package.