Tripod debate

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by lost, Feb 27, 2009.

1. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

Well after some searching around on here it seems like at least a few of you have a Manfrotto 190XB or equivalent.

I've been shopping for a hopefully lighter tripod that isn't overly large, but it seems that I keep coming back to a 3 section. I do plan on lugging this around on the odd occasion and can't really justify the $500+ for a carbon fiber set.

My current Debate is between the 055XProB and the 190XProb legs. I think I'd prefer a ball head and am pretty partial to the 486RC2 (or a 488RC2) to go with the legs.

I am a very worried the 055 would be too heavy for hiking or a long walk. And a bit worried that even the 190 would be too heavy for the same thing. Can anyone share your experiences or even other recommendations?

FWIW, the heaviest combo I have right now is an XTI + 70-200 F4 IS. Sometime in the next while it will most likely be a 50D instead of the XTI.

2. Ryan

Semi-Pro

i've hiked countless hours with an 055ProB on my back. It is fairly heavy, but it is a tank. I've never used the 190 to compare tho.

3. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

I assume you have a carrying case or a strap of some kind?

4. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Ditto, it is damn heavy. I've used a tripod bag in the past, but my current backpack had a 'holster'.

5. Ryan

Semi-Pro

I've never had a proper carrying method for my tripod, ahah

I just use a strap off of something else that I had somewhere.

Sling it over my shoulder with my backpack on too, so definatly not the best way to carry it, but havent really had any pain from it. a 190 would definatly be easier to carry around with you, but the 055 will be more stable.

6. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

Well it does seem like the 055 is the better way to go. Anyone tried the 486RC2 head? People seem to think the 488RC2 is better. I can't seem to find a Canadian site that bundles with the 488, only the 486.

7. chef21

Allez cuisine!

I have the 190Xb, my brother and father both have the 055proB, I would switch in a second, the 055 is a bit heavier, but also taller, stonger and more stable.

8. Cracker

non-n00b

I have the 190XProB Legs and they are great. They are more than stable enough to hold my D3 with 70-200 f/2.8. I have used them on even groud with all the legs the same height and uneven where there was up to a good foot difference in the length of the legs.

The only reason I would go up to the 055 would be if I was taller. I am about 5'8" and my 190 is the perfect height for me without having to raise the center column. If you are over about 5'11" I would suggest going up to the 055 because you should try not to raise the center column if possible as it makes the suport weaker, it is like having a monopod on top of your tripod.

I have the 322RC2 head on mine and I love it! It is so easy to switch the possition of my camera in a matter of seconds if need be. It is more than capable to hold my camera/lens combo without slipping.

[​IMG]

9. grahamr

GrahamR :D

i run an 055proB with the centre column taken out, and the 322rc2 grip and i LOVE it.

its great, its heavy, but if heavy is your thing get the CF version :D

10. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

Lol.. I'd love to get the CF one.. its just rather expensive. I'm about 5'11 so it definitely sounds like the 055 is better for my height. How does that 322RC2 head work? You just squeeze in the handle so you can move the camera? Is there a separate release for just panning only?

11. Gordon S.

I've got Tany's old 190 with 222 joystick head. Love the tripod but it is a bit heavy and awkward at times. I haven't managed to find a shoulder strap that works for it yet and my bag doesn't have a tripod attachment so it would suck to haul it long distances for sure.

12. chef21

Allez cuisine!

dont mind the crap pick, but here is a side by side of the two. Legs are fully extended on both. taller is the 055.

[​IMG]

13. chef21

Allez cuisine!

if you think the 190 is heavy, stay clear of the 055, it's a friggin beast. I think I want to sell my 190 and get the 055.

14. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

Thanks for the pic chef21. The 055 is definitely a lot taller. I'm still kind of leaning towards the 190 for the lighter weight. Carbon Fiber would be so sweet, but the price hike is steep.

15. chef21

Allez cuisine!

if you want the 190 I want to sell mine so I can get the o55. It's in like new condition.

16. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

Unfortunately I'm kind of leaning towards the 055 myself as well. Cheapest place I've seen it is The Camera Store.

Anyone think the Markins Q3 is worth the $329 they are asking for it? Half that for a 488RC2.

17. grahamr

GrahamR :D

the markins is a great ball head .. they are amazing... but like you found the price is adjusted accordingly :D

the 322 doesn't have a lock to release for panning, so you just have to "feel" it, but for what i do it works wonders.

18. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

Yeah I think I'm going for the half-way here. Not the best, but not the worst. 055xProb + 488RC2 head. I worry about the weight, but can't justify the tripled cost for getting something half the weight.

19. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

Well I finally got one. Eating my own words above. I went overboard. Well made, comes to about 3.5lbs total. Feels very well made and sturdy. For leg height reference, the normal height is 25mm shorter than a 190xprob.

Its a Benro Travel Angel C-268 (4 section) with a B-2 Head and a PU-50 quick release plate.

Quick snaps taken here at work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

looks like a 'frotto with a different name lol how do you find it?

21. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

22. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Eagerly standing by for review.

23. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

Really? I hadn't planned on doing one but if there is interest I will. I'm going out trekking this weekend (is the plan anyways). I should have a better grasp of how it works after that.

Price wise these are great compared to their gitzo counter parts. I think the C-168 or C-169 is almost identical to the Gitzo G1550T albeit at much lower price. They have gotten some flack for their heads but the B series is second generation so I'm hoping it'll fare well.

There are a couple favorable reviews and pics of the C-069/B-0 and C-269/B-1 on POTN if you just search for Benro in Accessories & Storage section.

24. lost

lost
    [OP]
    seasoned n00b

Well I suck at reviewing things but I'll say a few words about this Tripod now that I've actually had a chance to use it.

1) Its not small. I didn't really need a small one. I wanted a "close to full size" sturdy and light tripod. I wouldn't really say its overly cut out for traveling since it doesn't fold up overly small, but its still shorter than a 190xprob when folded. Of course its a 4 section so I expect that. If you want something that gets really compact, go for the 5 section (C-169 or C-269).

2) Its amazingly light. 3.5lbs is really only a problem because its taking up a hand or shoulder. Loving it for this.

3) Setting up the tripod is quite easy. Half a turn on each of the sections (or all 3 at once if you're setting it up all the way or taking it down) and then another half turn to tighten it. Its not a "super quick" process, but its not fiddly (if that makes sense).

4) I can use my XTi with 70-200 f/4 IS (no collar) and 430 EX and the ball head will hold it at all angles. Which is exactly why I bought the B-2 instead of the B-1. I think if I had the tripod collar it might balance out easier so the B-2 might not be needed.

5) I wish it had a spirit level. Might try and find a stick on one (Can I even find one of these?). The regular non-travel CF tripods from Benro have one. I will want one for the camera too.

6) Using a tripod is kind of annoying. Anything you can do to make it easier is a blessing. I wasn't shy at all to grab the tripod and carry it with camera still mounted occasionally. Bracketing shots its beneficial not just for HDR's. Sometimes you really do screw it up, darn snow!

I'd be happy to answer any questions as well. This was a sizeable investment and I was super nervous ordering it. Turns out it was exactly what I wanted. Still not sure I needed the B-2 head, but it was only $20 more. I didn't technically pay for this myself, its kind of a reward program through my work. While I have a fair amount of play money for hobbies, I doubt I would have bought this with my own money before actually receiving and seeing it. I think it would be a different story now.