Trial versions of games (how ?)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 4G63, Dec 16, 2003.

1. 4G63

4G63
    [OP]
    Got Boost ?

heres a question.
    I downloaded a trail version of a game on my computer.
    The trail gave you 5 plays at the game.
    The 5 trail plays on the computer have been used up.
    so I deleted the game and went to install it again to have another try at it.

It wont let me install it again, it says my plays have been used.
    So I deleted it again along with temp internet files/cookies.
    try to install again and nothing, same thing comes up about how I have no more plays left.

how can I get this trail to install again ?
    do I have to delete some sort of file on my computer showing that game was previously there or something ?
    I typed in some key words on the game into my computer search and nothing came up.

any ideas ? anyone ever do this before ?

2. Xtreme989

It is registered in the registry. Unless you go through the windows registry and delete all the keys (not recommended unless you know what you are doing....) then you aren't gonna be able to get it to work.

3. Hornblower

Thats why it's trial only works once. But if you really want to play it again it's alot of work to delete all the shit.

4. Ed

Ed

with some of them all you have to do it set your date back... depends on the game though

5. Dural

Insert something witty

In this situation where it give you 5 trys rather then 5 days, I would say there is a setting in your registry that increases each time you start the game. If the number is above 5 then the game quits. No amount of uninstalling or deleting temp files and cache will change this. The only option is to find the registry key that says the number of times it has been played. You will have to frequently change it back to a number lower then 5.

I only tell you this because I know that no matter how much someone tells you not to mess with the registry. Your going to try it anyway. Registry edit should not be attempted by anyone with average knowledge or lower about their computer. One wrong setting can cause several very nasty things to occur or stop occuring depending on what you do.

BUY the GAME, DO NOT edit your registry

I know you wont listen anyway

6. Xtreme989

I couldn't agree more....at least go download a full version of the game so you don't have to fuck with the registry. It is nothing but a hassle even for people with advanced knowledge. I hate doing anything in there.

7. Hornblower

You can fuck shit up quick.