1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is why you always start small....

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by billybob, Jan 17, 2005.

1. billybob

billybob
    [OP]
    The Schooner, the better.

Serves him right for trying to learn how to ride on a Busa!

2. Dubsta

::: pixelpusher :::

Ouch!

3. vero

what an idiot... and what kind of dealer sells a Busa to a noob?

4. billybob

billybob
    [OP]
    The Schooner, the better.

Private sale.

5. Scott

rawr

I agree to a point. but the guy sounds like he's never ridden a bike before. Gotta respect the machine no matter wha it is. Best thing is take a course and learn to ride. i agree a busa is a big bike for a noob, but im willing to bet he would have done the same on any other bike.

6. Tony

Think Happy Thoughts!

Damn sux to be buddy! time to take the loss & get a smaller bike!

7. Eisenflower

ha HA!!!!!

[​IMG]

8. GiPWeb

Me is I

9. DJQ

DJQ

Busa's are ugly as hell anyways :D Fast as fuck... but ugly.. And a noob on a Busa is a disater waiting to happen.

10. Mr.X

Sign by the X

damn, that guy should have figured out that when he was scared to drive the bike, he should start smaller. if you have the cash for a busa, you can certainly afford to buy a used bike and learn to drive first.

11. User1628

As long as you respect the machine, it really shouldnt matter what size you start off on. obviously, a busa would be scary as fuck if you cracked it, but if you were smart about it you would be fin.e obviously buddy wanted to push it, and paid the price.

maybe now on he'll think twice bout opening 'er up before he gets comfortable behind the wheel .

12. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

You can respect the machine as much as you want and be as carefull as you want, but that will not help you when you get caught off guard and spooked and twist the throttle by accident. Theres absolutely no reason to get a 1L + bike as your first bike. Even he said he was too scared to drive it. How much fun could that be?

13. vero

sorry, but wrong. Someone new to bikes should NEVER drive a bike with that much HP no matter HOW smart/controlled/restrained they are. There are simply too many ways to get into trouble on a bike that fast, or any bike for that matter. A noob mistake that might cause you to have a small pucker moment on an EX500 can kill you on a Busa. It's simply too easy for a small situation (that a more experienced driver on the same bike would handle no problem) to escalate on a rocket like that. When you get into bikes you have to realize that you are going to make mistakes, and the outcome of those mistakes is going to be greatly affected by the bike you're riding. It may not even be your fault. Bottom line is anyone that thinks that it's ok to get something like that (or a literbike) as their first bike shouldn't be riding in the first place. It's just a crash waiting to happen.

Oh and bikes don't have steering wheels :lol:

14. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Front wheel?

15. Rizzle

Habs>Leafs

i cant wait to get a busa for my first bike :D

16. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I'm just gonna start small with a GSXR-1000. No need to get crazy

17. Rizzle

Habs>Leafs

18. vero

never heard anyone use "behind the wheel" in reference to bikes, only cars. sorry. :shrug:

19. danny

bike manic

a few dealerships around here have stopped selling bigger bikes to newbies... the one I bought my bike from had sold a gixxer1K to a dude who never owned a bike before, he killed himself on it three weeks later. The owner of the dealership now refuses to sell bikes he knows is too big for the person (like obvious noobie status)..

20. Left_E

HA HA HA HA

600 is where it's at light weight easy to move around

21. Dubsta

::: pixelpusher :::

I think I would be the same way if I was a bike dealer...

22. danny

bike manic

He had a 16yo get in there with his father asking to buy a gixxer 1k... he told him if he wanted one he'd have to go elsewhere cause he didnt sell those to noobies. The father told his son to go wait in the car and started screaming at the owner, the owner said "your more than welcome to go to another suzuki dealer and get it, but im telling your right now your son is going to die."

A few days later the father came back all calm and said "ya I guess you're right, we were jumping the gun on the bigger bike" and he got a 600 instead.

I bet with the right training and good mods my 500 could keep up with most anything on the track. Heck Adam could put most regular street riders to complete shame at shubie..... on a 125cc bike. Size doesnt nessecarily make you fast.

23. miloped

Helmet test dummy

:D braaaap

What alot of people don't get, is that alot of times, a smaller bike is WAY more fun to ride in the first place! you have to beat the living snot out of them go get anywhere in a hurry! :D
    Better on gas, insurance, tires
    Most times, cheaper to replace bits when you fall
    A litre bike on city streets is pretty painfull to drive for the most part. The average joe will never even use half of the potential of the bike anyways.

Fine for pimp factor, but I suppose it depends on what you ride for!

I bet Danny's GS would be tons of fun to ride at the track

24. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

you cannot put a 125 gp bike in the same category. Its a 2 stroke, lighter weight etc. I don't find a litre bike to be a pain, and as a matter of fact, I did not really enjoy my time on a 600. I'm not saying I'm too good for a 600, I just didn't enjoy it for whatever reason. I have no problem with them, I just don't see myself on on. Maybe a 636 but not something like an R6.

25. vero

this is the reason Canada needs to adopt the system a lot of European countries have of having limits on the displacement machine you can ride depending on how long you've had your license. Because not only is an inexperienced rider on a too big machine a danger to himself/herself, they are a danger to everyone around them. Kind of the same concept of the graduated licensing system we have for cars. Yeah people will bitch and complain and say it isn't fair but fuck them if it's going to save innocent lives.

26. danny

bike manic

Maybe you need to go on a ride with a guy I know from moncton, his R6 can be quite the site to watch when he gets into riding hard. Lets just say he was still loosing me at 180km/h.... on one wheel, on a 600. But its all preference and like Adam said, it depends on what you ride for... but I know that nobody can push a litre bike to its limits on the twisties on the street. unless you do it on long sweeping highways and your name is ghostrider.. lol

I wont say much about a 125 since i've never ridden one myself, it was just to show size doesnt matter in how fast you are. But even at 2 strokes and lighter it still doesnt compare power wise. You still need a fast rider to make it go fast. And very fast it will go, even with less power.

I prefer beating the living crap out of a smaller bike and have fun than being scared of a bike thats too much for my skill level.

Adam, theres just one way to find out how much fun the GS500 would be at the track ;) (oh wait, now I need the cash and teh time off weekends to go.. lol)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  27. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Maybe you need to reread what I wrote. I don't enjoy the R6. I don't like the seating positon, I don't like the way it felt period. I don't doubt the potential of it at all. I don't like the 600RR either. It just doesn't feel right to me. Nowhere did I say I could ride a 1000 to its potential, but I like my bike. I like the size and the torque. Nowhere did I say I was faster than a 600, or anything to that effect, and nowhere did I say I could lose someone on a 600. I just didn't enjoy riding it. I did enjoy the 636 though, due to the seating position and the extra torque.

Enjoy your 500 and I'll enjoy my 1000. If we go on a ride together, the only thing that put one of us infront of the other, is whoever wants to lead. And yes, I've had my ass handed to me by someone on a 500, but he never turned to me and said "see, its not the bike its the rider". We just kept on riding, enjoying the trip. Your riding with the wrong people if every trip is a contest to see who's a better rider, or who has a faster bike.

And size does play a significant factor. Adam on a 125 works. Me on a 125 doesn't. Why ride it if you don't enjoy it. Sure I could ride the 600 but I'd wouldn't be as happy. And sure on a 125, eventually I'd get it in the power band and get moving, but its just way to small for me, and its not a bike meant for city or even highway driving. Its a gp bike. Thats why you don't see even the best riders on one in the city.

Where did I say I was scared of my bike? You're the one sounding like you have something to prove. You sound like if we went for a ride and you were faster you'd get off the bike gloating. Nobody I ride with gives a fuck what size bike you have as long as you don't do stupid shit.

Oh, and a wheeling at 180 doesn't impress me at all. Go kill yourself when I'm not around.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  28. miloped

Helmet test dummy

Woah woah woah!

Don't get me wrong.. I'd love to have a new litre bike sitting in the garage along side the other bikes.. :D

Was the 1000 your first bike cheddar?

And vero, I don't know how well it would work, you'd need to accomodate the people who can really handle their bikes before they are legal to drive on the streets...
    I know when I hopped on the 900, it wasn't too bad, because I had ridden countless bikes before. maybe they need to try to have some sort of test.. :D

29. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

For street bikes? No I started on 750's

30. vero

yeah, but compare that little handful of people that rode/raced dirtbikes like you, to the vast majority that have no experience whatsoever, and I think inconveniencing them is worth the lives (and taxpayer $$$) saved... plus they could credit you for having prior experience with bikes or something?

31. miloped

Helmet test dummy

Yeah.. I suppose!

:bigup:

32. danny

bike manic

[SMILIE]oops![/SMILIE]

Yeah I guess I did misread your post (I took it like you were doubting the potential of smaller bikes)... Alot of people I used to ride with are like that and upgrated to litre bikes quickly cause smaller bikes were "slow", but like 9 outta 10 dumped their bikes last summer.

Although re-reading my post again it still didnt come across like I wanted it to. There was some sarcasm in there as well... I woudlnt ride balls out to finish first and say "haha! look at this, my 500 made it faster than you! its gotta be the rider"... I tried to ride with that attitude for about a month and it cost me a scratched pipe and bruised ego, and made me rethink who I rode with.

Now I just ride because I love it, and if thats too slow, thats fine, if its too fast, i'll slow down and wait for the others. When I said about beating the crap out of my bike and that scared of a 1litre thing that wasnt directed at you it was just about me and it had a bit of sarcasm... I mean I'd love to have a nice litre bike, but not as my only bike because I dont have near the skill it takes to really push it when I really like to be able to ride the crap out of it.

As for the 180km/h wheeliing comment it was more about my misconception of what you posted, I took it like you meant that 600ss had no juice.. buddy on the R6 can do more than just wheelies, he accually gained his confidence through starting on a small bike. I dont agree with his riding style on the street or his choice (lack) in gear but the guy's pretty skilled and would do great at a track.

Man I gotta start rereading before I reply... my short attention span hurts me.. lol............. anyway im glad that it looks like you ride for the same reasons I do. I'll end it on this note : "BraaaaAAAAP!" :rofl:

PS and yes on that licence thing that vero was talking about :p braaaap!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  33. DJQ

DJQ

"CAN YA DIG IT!!??"

34. shaun

Freedom 27

The same mentality (what Cheddar is saying) applies to snowmobiling. As a result, that's why there's so many deaths every year....

I've met guys on the trails who are obviously hot dogging it with their buddies in areas that they can't see far enough in front of them to stop if need be.

35. danny

bike manic

yep, snowmobiling is what I wanted to get into before bikes, now that im "just a bit" into bikes ;) im too broke to get into snowmobiles. But I am lucky enough to be able to have borrowed many times a machine from a friend who has many... and you do see the same stuff there.