Think you know your shit?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by KennyG, Oct 14, 2003.

1. KennyG

KennyG
    [OP]

Wondering if any of you have any suggestions for this one. Case that I have to handle for a customer.

~the following error comes up at about 18-22% during the installation d:\setup\hpznfxo1.exe -1 enu -fc:\windows\hpoins03.dat- validateNo -w 1548
    ~this is during the additional software
    ~msconfig, removed all startup items
    ~checked start menu, nothing there, checked add/remove, one entry, removed this
    ~walked him through the install, installed software, prompted for plugging in the cable, got pop, installed the device manager entries ok
    ~at 18% it came up with the same error, but the last number was w 420
    ~the printer is popping AS a 2410.. tried the install again got the same error except at the end it was w 548
    ~this time we didn't let the software uninstall after the error message, manually restarted computer
    ~on reboot, the printer drivers were installed, but director was no where to be found, he is able to print with the drivers

Buddy is trying to install a Photosmart 2410 printer (all in one) on windows 98. He's getting that error message, after the add new hardware wizard pop, so it's during the install of the regular software. After that error message comes up, if you reboot, all the drivers are installed and work fine, just not the software.

I'm basically thinking that it might be an issue with windows installer, going to try updating that for sure when I call him back, maybe some windows updates as well, see if that helps the situation. Although it almost seems like he's having a problem writing to that directory... Any other suggestions?

2. Kat

Kat

Having a bad day?
    What was the verdict?

3. KennyG

KennyG
    [OP]

Still working on it. I have to call the guy back, I told him wed or thurs of this week. I actually got the case monday. Just looking for idea's at this point.

4. Shafft

RC-OG

you know with USB your supposed to install the software first then connect the device right?

5. Dural

Insert something witty

Boot into safe mode and make sure software installed matches what it shows while not in safe mode. I know at work we have several issues in and out of safe mode with Network Cards. Once removed in safe mode and reboot the next try is flawless.

Just an idea.

6. Fr3nChY

You Guessed it.

Maybe the software doesn't like Win98, maybe try getting a different version of the software by calling the HP Helpdesk.

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

This can fubar a system real good.

8. Shafft

RC-OG

yup... I know it was always a problem with my old digicam and my old mans scanner.

9. KennyG

KennyG
    [OP]

The software prompts you to plug it in about half way through, it won't continue the installation until the cable is plugged in and the add new hardware wizard pops (which all goes through fine). Then it finishes up the installation installs some additional software (not realated too much to the actual drivers) and supposedly it's done.

The software does work on win98, it's a brand new model and all the bugs haven't been worked out yet, so that's kinda what I'm working on I guess. So far I have been unable to duplicate the error on a win98 machine.

I will try the safe mode thing see if that makes any difference.

10. Kat

Kat

I'd say that's already been done.
    And Dural, if this guy is anything like some of the ones i've heard about there is no way Ken is getting him to boot into safe drive! :P

and Frenchy he is the HP help desk!! lol

11. Hornblower

:werd:

12. KennyG

KennyG
    [OP]

Update. :)

Well I was supposed to call the guy back today. I get into work and low and behold we have a new know issue from engineering. Can we guess what error message it was? :) So while the issue isn't exactly solved, it's out of my hands. hehe.