The non Ingress Restaurant Review thread!!

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by *Jani*, Jan 17, 2009.

1. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

First recorded restaurant: Rogi Orazio, Hydrostone Market

Made a reservation for 7:30 pm tonight (Saturday). Parking was surprisingly easy, despite being in a small, street parking only area (1 hour parking from 8-6pm on the streets close by)
    We were greeted, and seated promptly. The table was a 2 seater, with nice wine glasses, the menu's already placed, and an unlit tea lite in a candle holder (easily forgivable)

Within 3 minutes, our server came by to get our drink order. I (of course) ordered wine, Greg ordered a beer. It was brought to our table within another 3 minutes (or less). The server was very friendly, and advised us of the specials of the day (Seafood chowder, and a halibut dish of some sort. I already knew what I wanted so I didn't pay much attention)

He (the server) left us for about 5 minutes, enough time to make a final decision on what we wanted to order, and have a few sips of our drinks. He took our order, then came to the table with some baguette and olive oil/balsamic vinegar.

I (er.. we) ordered Calamari Rogi, which showed up promptly, with a delightful pesto type dip, and a tiny 'salad' on the side. There was a very large quantity of calamari, not to mention that they were, by far, the best I've ever had. They were cooked just perfect. Not overcooked, and rubbery like you sometimes find.

In perfect timing, just as we finished, he came to the table with our main course. Greg ordered a spicy Italian sausage pasta dish. I ordered a Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Roulade (chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese, spinach, and roasted red pepper), which came with roasted baby potatoes, and vegetables.

According to Goodie: it was good. Not too spicy, good serving size.

My dish was fan-friggin-tastic! The chicken was so moist, and flavourful. The 'stuffing' wasn't overwhelming, but complimented perfectly the chicken. The potatoes were slightly overcooked, in my opinion, but this was also VERY easily forgivable considering everything). The vegi's were also fantastic. It consisted of broccoli, zucchini (yellow and green), red onion, red and green pepper, and a stalk of asparagus. The only negative comment I have about them, is that they slightly overdid the pepper (fresh cracked though, I will give them that!)

Our server came to check on us shortly after we started eating, but them left us alone until we were almost done (or actually done.. we couldn't finish our plates :o) I will again say, how friendly he was, and not your stereotypical snooty server.

I, personally, would definitely recommend this restaurant to ANYONE, whether going out for a dinner with friends, or for a date. Great atmosphere, excellent food, and average prices for this type of restaurant.

Feel free to add to this review thread with any places you may visit to give the rest of RC an idea of whats out there :)

2. Elcoopto

:) sounds good

3. Beckins

No.

I went there a few months back for lunch and it was great! I definitely want to go back for supper sometime and try the stuffed chicken, it sounds awesome!!!

Oh and Janet: your reviewing skills > Ingy's

4. ingress

_

The Hydrostone is a treasure Trove of yummy goodness

Rogi Orazio
    epicurius morsels
    Juliens
    Salavatores and
    Hamachi Kita all in one building

and Beckins is just hurtful

5. Beckins

No.

[​IMG]

6. b-bob

That sounds awesome Janet! What is the price range there?

7. Mitch

salvatores owns a lil bit of my heart

8. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Just for the record been to hamachi kita twice and both times blew.

9. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

]

Thats what I was going for.. :lol:

Very reasonable. :)

There is a menu with prices on their website, along with some pictures.
    The wine was reasonably priced too. a glass was $6-9, and half a litre was (I think) 16 for what I ordered (Peter Lehman Shiraz)
    http://www.rogi.ca/

10. Kimvisible

♥ • ♠ ♣

there should be a restaurant review sticky!

11. Lex Lucas

feels good.

I was there a few weeks back and had the stuffed chicken too. Really good.

12. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

Agreed!

Vote to sticky this? :x:

13. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Good call on this sticky thread: I was getting ready to make one

What ? Trendz Cafe & Wine Bar

where? Burnside Industrial park, located in the recently opened Best Western ( Burnside drive intersection up on the hill)

I have Been hearing good things about this place lately so I decided to try it out.
    Service was very good, presentation and first impressions were overall excellent.

The Menu was excellently presented with all of the app's and entres to be paired with a several suggestions of wine. 2 pages...simply told...Very Good selection.

IIRC, entres ran anywheres from 18 to 42.

I had the Monk Fish (22) and a glass of malbec (land of fire) . It was really good and portion size seemed dead on. I recomend anyone looking for a group outing or a date, to try it out. Its been getting good reviews in local papers.

- Brad

14. Markus

interwebz

All of my bread comes from Juliens, It is also great for a soup and sandwich, all homemade and such.

15. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Well as much as I am not a fan of chain restaurants, I tried a newbie out today for lunch.

What? Moxie's Classic Grill
    Where? Dartmouth Crossing by that big jesus intersection

-Went there for lunch today...first impressions are it was busy as fuck. I would like to meet the gentleman behind the operation of this company, because wow does he know what he's doing.

-First of all, they dropped a but load of money on the decor (for a chain restaurant), this place is amazing. I'm telling everyone that reads this right now, Find some time to try this place out, a date, some friends, whatever works.

-But I'm lieing if I said the decor was my first impression because the waitresses is what got my attention first....for the fellas (Girlfriends do not read) you will be quite impressed by the servers, exquisite lol. but anywho, once you look past that....

- Menu ....was too many pages for my liking, but the style of the jacket was excellent (leather), and a short simple wine list greets you at the first page. Since it was a lunch, I was to try something simple to get a first impression on the food. Soup and sandwich ($8.99)....went with a tai soup and beef dip. Absolutley delicious. And anyone I've spoken with, that has moxie's experience (ex girlfriend is a moxie's expert) , has nothing but excellent things to say.

- I couldn't really think off too much to say in the negetivity department. It is what it is. The bathrooms blew me away. I counted 4 LCD televisions, 1 in front of each urinal, and a big jesus one hanging above the fireplace...yes there is a fireplace in the bathroom

So there's a quick write up on it. Try it out!

- The Deuce

16. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

17. Scott

rawr

I ate at the wok box yesterday. I give it a 1/5. And the only reason I gave it that 1 is because I liked the sauce they use with the lemon chicken.

The menu lists things that are spicy. I dont like spicy so I ordered something that made no claims to spicyness. The menu lied :lol:. I ordered the Buddhist.

It lists as ingredients
    Red chili peppers appear no where's in that list, however they came in mine.

My mother orderd the teriyaki stir fry with noodles. It was drenched in sauce which totally over powered the dish. And the noodles seemed old, almost dried out.

Now mom had this a few weeks ago with rice and they used a proper amount of sauce and she said it was very good.

Id probably give it another shot in a month or so.

18. millsey

I went for Valentines Day and was very disappointed. I ordered a Cesar salad as an appetizer (8.99) and the Peppercorn New York steak (27.99). Girlfriend ordered Chicken Pandora Pasta (18.99).
    - Cesar was made with horrible dressing and way too much of it (Tasted like Kraft Cesar dressing was dumped all over old lettuce).
    - Steak was over cooked (ordered rare, got medium to well), very tough meat, sauce was extremely salty. Mashed potatoes were border line cold and very dry, veggies (red pepper and Zucchini) were over cooked and consisted of 2 slices of Zucchini and 2 pepper slices.
    - Pasta was not too bad though the sauce was slightly bland, Italian Sausage had very little spice to it. I consider it to be on par with East Side Mario's but more expensive.

19. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

LOL, I think that's exactly what they are going for.

20. millsey

Which is why I would go somewhere else, I don't mind spending a bit more money to get much better food.

21. cohiba

Id like to get a review of the Elephant place downtown.

22. Heather

everything to everyone

Elephant and Castle <3 Chain restaurant type of food, but they have a good Brunch!

23. ingress

_

elephant eye is good as well

24. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

I went to Elephant and Castle once....
    Wasn't a fan of the service I recieved there though....

From memory,
    a co-worker had made a reservation for the room upstairs for us to have a unofficial staff party. She was late, and myself, and 2 other girls from work were the first to show up (an hour after the reservation). The server was EXTREMELY rude to me when I said that I was there for the Bank reservation. She said they already sent the girl home who was scheduled to serve us since we were late (yes.. I know this was my co-workers fault for being so late, but still, totally unneeded to take it out on me!)

The food was good from what I remember though. I had some nacho's of someone at the table, and ordered a chicken pot pie, which I think was pretty tasty. (this was about 5 months ago that I went.. so my memory could be wrong)

The inside was pretty nice, and very much what I would picture a british pub (mind you.. I've never been there, so I could be totally wrong :lol:)

25. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

I've heard mixed reviews of the elephant & castle. so-so food....My opinion from what I've heard, is that its over-rated

26. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Well just noticed they are a chain. Sad.

Its very hard to make a sincere English pub. Nail and Kneecap attempted it too and failed.

First mistake I see on Elephant and Castles menu is Ceasar salad. I've been to England 13 times and only once last year did I see it on a menu and it was very different than what we get here, nor have any of my family or their friends over their heard of it.

And PS. Stupid name.

27. Mitch

i wa sat moxies, order pasta dish with shrimp skewer on top, my skewer was sent raw, the shrimp were partially frozen...

28. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

The optimist would say it was partially cooked.

29. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

Saturday March 14th
    Ryan Duffy's (Bedford Row, Halifax)

Dear god. I don't even know how to write a review that will do the restaurant justice!
    I was absolutely shocked when I walked in and noticed the change from when I was last in there (when it was East Side Mario's). Beautiful decor, in a dimly lit room. As you walk in, there is the hostess booth. To your right, there is an area with tables, as well as a fireplace, and a few large chairs with a coffee table for those days you just wanted to have a drink or two with some appetizers). We went to the left, and walked by their cooler that has the meat displayed, and past the bar. There seemed to be lots of tables, but were spaced a good distance apart so you didn't feel all jammed up next to your neighbours. Last night, it wasn't nearly as busy as I would have expected (there were more empty tables then tables being used).

The staff were friendly enough, and after we were seated, the server was over very quickly to take our drink order. They have a decent wine list (standard size for the places we've been recently). They do not have 1/2 litre listed on the menu, but they do have it available. Prices range from $7-10 a glass, and the half litre was $25 on the Peter Lehman's Shiraz that I ordered. (as if I could just order 1 glass of wine for a 2 hour dinner :lol:)

The menu has many options, but some of them had terminology that I had never heard of. Our waiter came over after giving us a few minutes and asked if we had any questions. (he must be used to people not having a clue what some things are). For an appetizer, we ordered Fried Calamari, rocket and tomato corn salsa. ($12) (BTW, rocket is pronounced 'Roe-kay'.. not rocket, as I made the mistake of calling it when I asked the server what it was :kekeke:)
    After a minute or 2 after we ordered, he came back with some sliced baguette bread, and some delicious whipped butter. He also came with a pickle jar with sliced pickles, carrots, and pickled onions. I just tried a carrot out of it, which had just a hint of dill to it, but was still fresh and crunchy. Our appetizer came out very quickly after (what felt like maybe 5 minutes)
    It was beautifully presented on a long white plate, served with the corn salsa on one end, a few calamari in the middle (maybe 10 pieces), and the rocket on the other end. (which was essentially a green, with a dressing on it.) It was all delicious! the corn salsa and calamari together was a winning combination, as was the salsa and the greens. I was impressed at the place after we had this, even before the main course came out.

For our main courses, I ordered an 8oz filet mignon, with a leek and blue cheese risotto. ($35) Greg ordered a 10 oz Dry aged New York Striploin Steak and Black Truffle Mash Potatoes. (custom cuts are $4.50/oz) They actually came to the table with a slab of meat and a scale, and cut his striploin right there. The woman who did that, trimmed the fat off one side of the steak, and weighed it in. She had it at 9.9oz. I guess she has an eye for the steaks to get it that accurate first try. Very impressive!
    When they arrived, the aroma alone had my mouth watering. I can't describe how amazing it was. The steak was so flavourful, and perfectly cooked (I ordered medium, after reading here about the 'rules of ordering meat'). The risotto was very very tasty. It was actually my first time ever trying it, and I wasn't disappointed. It had strips of what could be sun dried tomato (or something else that would be red in color) which were delicious. (they didn't mention it when he told us the risotto of the day was)
    I had to try Greg's dish to make sure my review was accurate. And wow. The steak was amazing (juicy and flavourful aswell) and the mashed potatoes were to die for! There was just a hint of garlic to them (which was likely the truffle) and they were whipped into a creamy mixture, then put into on the plate for a beautiful presentation.

I should also mention that the waiter did a wonderful job. He gave us just enough attention, but not enough that we wanted him to back off. If he noticed my wine glass was low, he was come over and fill it up from my decanter for me (without interrupting our discussion) which would have given us time to ask him for anything we needed had we required anything.

I give Ryan duffy's two thumbs up. The price is a bit more expensive then what you may want to spend for an everyday meal, but I recommend everyone just splurge and check it out sometime! Based on our experience, you will not be disappointed!!

See the menu below for more details on their food selection:

http://www.ryanduffys.ca/files/pdfs/RD_Main_Menu.pdf

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  30. User1628

my review: it was the bomb

31. Bean

Breasts

Elephant Eye is amazing :)

So is Brooklyn Warehouse. I die for their mushroom omelette on Saturday afternoons after the market :)

32. CyberCX

GIGGITY, GIGGITY, GIGGITY

I was there for the first time a couple of weeks ago for a military buddies Afghanistan send off party. We had the room upstairs too.

Other than the overpriced beer, $5.65 for a bottle of Olands :wtf:, I thought it was a really nice spot. Our server, who had just been promoted to assistant manager or something, was awesome.

The owner even took a picture of naked female bums off the wall in the men's washroom and brought it upstairs for us. :kekeke:

I've been meaning to check this place out, but I keep forgetting about it. I know the owner George. He's a great guy. He use to be a bartender at the Armview.

33. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Does Risley still own that?

34. Bean

Breasts

There was another George at the Armview? Where have I been? lol.

I just know Mr. GKap who is still at the Armview

35. CyberCX

GIGGITY, GIGGITY, GIGGITY

Short, bald guy? I can't remember his name.

Yeah, Kap is one of three owners. He's a great guy and fun to party with. I think he's the son of the original owner. I grew up with Peter, one of the other owners, but I don't really know Billy.

The other George hasn't worked there in ages, but I still see him there the odd time. When he was a bartender, he'd always be rocking the white Polo compelte with popped collar. :kekeke: Classic.