Technical question...need help

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by raven, Mar 2, 2004.

1. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

Looking for input from anyone concerning electrical system.

We are having some problems getting the gauge cluster to work in my car. The gauge cluster has a wiring harness plugged into it to control speedo, tach, gas, and temp gauges. The problem is only the gas and speedo work and every idiot light is on when the car is running and they won't go out, I have no tach or temp gauge. It is like it is not seeing the signal to let the cluster know the engine is running so it never turns the idiots lights out and the gauges don't work.

What we have done...

Both powers and grounds to the cluster are fine. All sensor wires to the cluster are fine. We did find one wire that comes out of the cluster that is not hooked up to the PCM anymore (it also goes to the OBD2 diagnostic port, ABS computer, air bag computer and then to the cluster). This wire on my old PCM came out of the number 9 pin but the number 9 pin in the new PCM is empty. So we figure this must be our problem, we went and took a look at another 98 z24 and tested that wire to see what it does. Well it reads 3.74V and a pulse width of .5milliseconds. It remains constant regardless of if the car is running or just in the key on position...WTF. It can't be that wire, it does't really do anything. We're kind of at a loss right now as to what could be causing this. The other thing is we can hook our scanner up to the OBD2 port and we get full data, so it's not a problem with the sensors or the signal for them.

Anyone's input would be great
    Thanks

2. PirateSteve

So whats different from the last time it ran? Are you still using all the stock guages? Or is this trying to mate the 3.8 stuff to the cavy stuff. Do you have any piggy back hardware running for fuel management? Also what codes does the scanner show for the idiot lights? Any? Is your cluster good? I don't know cavy electrical, and domestic stuff is so different from what I deal with

Does it run ok regardless?

3. raven

raven
    [OP]
    Raven Autosports

The difference is that it is now mated to the 3800 PCM, there is no piggy back hardware running, the PCM was custom tuned for performance. The scanner is not picking up any codes for the idiot lights and yes the cluster is good. The car runs fine I just don't have the dash working. It is a strange thing. I may have to chuck the gague cluster and make a custom one.