Tech Support Stories

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by User1628, Feb 20, 2009.

1. User1628

User1628
    [OP]

Post some amusing stories you've encountered with users of questionable computer abilities.

1) I had a call, 'Greg my monitor won't work!'. Figuring it's just a connection issue, I bring an extra VGA and power cable just in case. I get there, and see her monitor has a amber light (indicating it has power). Look down at the tower, and see no lights. Hit power, and voila! - monitor turns on. Who knew

2) just had this one: I can't log in! I go up to see what the problem is. The user is trying to use their password with a different username. I suggest using her own assigned username. Voila - she can log in. Outstanding

Those are the two that jumped out at me as funny examples. Feel free to omit your place of employment or names and anything else that could come back to get you!

2. Scott

rawr

I always like the

"I cant log in!!!"

"is your caps lock on?"

:doh:

3. ingress

_

i always assume it is the stupidest thing possible and work backwards from there

4. User1628

User1628
    [OP]

Haha, I'm at that point with some users.

5. Arod

Ma'am...please close any windows you have open..... *lady drops the phone and runs around the house closing all of her windows in the house before I can finish the sentence*

6. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

I think my all time fav was a guy quite a few years back using a P/200 MMX with windows 95 on it here at work and thought he'd bring in a copy of windows XP and do a little upgrade for himself.

Needless to say that didn't go well.

7. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Couple weeks back got a call from a user "Can't login" .........so I go over and sure enough I get an error when attempting to login ........ go to safe mode and low and behold there is zero free disk space remaining. The boys had the computer so full of games, movies and music the PC wouldn't allow you to sign in to the network.

Busy Busy.

:lol:

8. User1628

User1628
    [OP]

I've seen that. You look at the pie chart for disk space and you can barely even see a sliver of emptiness :lol:

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Back in the Aliant days I had a lady call me to tell her what order the keys go on the keyboard. She popped them all off and washed them in the sink but didn't know what order to pop them back on :lol:

10. *Jani*

Blinky

11. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I had someone call in that their cable didn't work. After some trouble shooting it came to light that her power was off so she couldn't watch TV anyway, and she just presumed that if there was no power there was no cable, so wanted it fixed before the power came on.

Also had a lot of older people call in because they couldn't program their remotes, or there TV's were broken.

And the best part was, I wasn't even in Tech Support. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even in customer service at all.

12. User1628

User1628
    [OP]

when I worked for BlackBerry: "now turn your phone off and back on"

"how do I turn it off?"

- signs you shouldn't own a smart phone

13. jspurr

ive had lots and lots of good stories over the years of being in IT

i had a drunk girl call in once when i was working for tech support for telus and she was like trying to give me her web site and saying it wasnt working and she was slurring her words... it was quite entertaining

14. Miss Shawty

:lol:

15. ingress

_

I just had one from a guy ripping me because an email address he was sending to kept bouncing on him

I responded with the proper spelling of his colleagues name

16. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Its good that you can laugh about it now.

17. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Not tech support but:

We are open 9-5 weekdays and all our clients know this.
    One clients calls at 8pm Friday night asking for something. Calls back at 7am Saturday does not leave a voicemail either time, then sends an email to the wrong address (he's been told several times that its incorrect) Saturday afternoon wanting to know why nobody has called him back. On Sunday he forwards the email to me, complaining that he hasn't been contacted yet.

Did exactly the same thing again on Christmas eve.

18. infatuous

Recently I signed a contract with a large continent wide franchise. We did their site and manage the hosting and email for them. Rather than use our tech support site or email account, they gave every one of their users my personal email address and cell phone. I now get calls and emails at all hours of the day for stuff I'm paying thousands of dollars a month to have outsourced. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

19. User1628

User1628
    [OP]

sucker

i was asked if I wanted to make everyone aware of my cell phone number. I politely declined

20. Stan

fashionably late

I had a lot of stupid ones when I was in IT, but can't think of any at the moment.

21. Zombietech

"I know you just reset my pwd, but I don't know what I changed it to ... so I need another one, and I'm kind of in a hurry." :ugh2:

My all time fave though is when our on site techs call me for help, fixing end user hardware issues. They get more money and are living down south ... and its just not fair.

22. MRA

MRA

I call tech support at my office and ask stupid stuff just to hear what they say.

:kekeke:

23. bnguitarman

Shmir-nup

I had one customer asking for help to install the BlackBerry Professional Software (scaled down version of the BES) because he wanted wireless address book and calendar. Turned out that he was using Windows XP at home. He did not understand when i told him it was for a domain containing an exchange server. He said he bought a domain from GoDaddy and he was on a hosted exchange. It took me a good 15 to 20 mins to explain it all to him.... I still don't think he got it in the end

24. User1628

User1628
    [OP]

Somedays I love my job, and the sheer ludicrousness of it at times

25. jspurr

:rofl:

there are some special people out there.

its funny how people dont understand what goes on behind everything and they just see the end product. blows my mind how they get upset at something they dont even understand

26. Hiltzy

I got called an unemployed fisherman once....back in my Telus days. ( I was being a lead at the time)

Older lady calls in to have dialup internet setup on her machine....she has MacOS 7.x....the software only supports MaxOS9x and up (cira 2k2). She yelled at the tech for while then asked for supervisor and got me. I told her the same stuff....your computer will not work with this software....you need to upgrade the OS to MaxOS9x or higher. She ranted and raved for a bit about unacceptable service...then asked me where I lived. I told her....she then told me I was an unemployed fisherman who only had my job because everybody in the maritimes is unemployed and BC was just doing thier bit to support Canada by outsoursing thier support. She then told me she as going to contact the news paper in her town (port coquitlam I think) and have a big scathing article. I never did see the article...kept looking. And Ive not had a good impression of people from the west coast since that day.

27. Hiltzy

Nother call I had back in the Telus days

Me: Welcome to Telus Highspeed Internet Support...How Can I help You Today....
    Guy: Yeah my work internet isn't.......whollly fuck an earthquake....everybody under their tables!!!!!!!!......click.

28. jspurr

:rofl:

29. Hiltzy

thats exactly what I did...laughed my ass off.

30. Cody

I have a few that come to mind. I work as a unix admin at a larger company in calgary. I don't do a lot of end user support but I do see all the tickets coming into the queues for the various departments.

A few weeks ago there was a ticket that came into the windows support queue that was pretty hilarious. The user was asking in broken english for help moving her desk... so she could open the window. She was located on the 27th floor of our building. :eek3:

I saw another ticket last month filed under blackberry support with critical as the priority. "The coffee machine is broken, please fix it as soon as possible"

Another kinda funny thing that happened at work in our datacenter (I think I mentioned it on here before). We were getting a bunch of new linux clusters which required a new PDU cabinet and a bunch of 3 phase power whips (480vac @ 50 amps each).

The electricians who installed the new PDU got it mostly installed on Friday but needed to do some additional work the following week. A different crew came in the following monday as the previous crew had to go to a different job site that week. So they started work upstairs in the computer room, finishing up the install.

I was working one floor down in our lab, which also contains one of our 300 KVA ups systems. The bench I was working at was about 10 feet from the UPS. All of a sudden there was a massive explosion from the UPS and a shower of sparks shooting out of the top of it. Followed by eerie silence and a column of white smoke coming from the top of the UPS.

Turns out that they decided that they were finished on the breaker panel of the new PDU but neglected to check the other side of the cabinet where the 480 feed from the UPS came into the cabinet. The feed cable was not tied down, it was simply stripped and laying against the inside of the PDU. So when they flipped the main feed breaker both phases shorted directly to ground.

Needless to say that was an expensive job for the electricians. The UPS company had to replace all of the transfer switches in the UPS as well as every breaker and fuse from the PDU they installed back to the city feed to our building. It took us 6 hours to bring all the affected systems back online.

Here are some pics of the damage :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. jspurr

:eek3:

wow....

32. Omerta

Wow, that is one hell of an expensive mistake.

33. maniac

I love when i tell people to disconnect the power cord to their router or something and they just flick off their power bar... in which they have their cordless phone base plugged into.

34. 17

teenage dirtbag

When I worked for Register.com I got a call for email support, it was a guy, frantic and he asked if we could retrieve an email he just sent, I told him it was impossible, and he burts into tears and started sobbing :rofl:

35. infatuous