Swearing at work

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Oct 24, 2019.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

This topic has recently come up at work after someone (me) sent an email to his entire org (almost 350 people) and dropped the f-bomb. I soon had a reply that someone took offense so I hit reply-all, owned it as a mistake and apologized. I then received close to 50 emails from folks ranging from confusion (what was there to take offense from in your email?!) to joking to some levels of anger (if I can't swear at work, I don't want to work here).

I had a discussion with my skip-level manager about it and he doesn't think it was a big deal but does think that swearing at work on its own is toxic - says it can be viewed as aggressive and is not inclusive of all.

I tend to think that it is situations that can be toxic but swearing, in and of itself, is not a big deal.

Thoughts? (for context, I work in a corporate, software environment. We all make way too much money and my group is spread around the world with offices in North America, Germany, and India primarily).

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I personally don't give a shit but in today's world, someone is standing by waiting to be offended so I tend to choose my words a little more carefully when dealing outside of my team.

3. Duggan

I typically keep swearing to verbal, and out of email. Too many people that can get offended that it is not worth it. Being under a corporate umbrella of quarter trillion dollar company will do that.

4. Duggan

But on here, all you fucking fucks can go fuck yourselves.

5. 17

teenage dirtbag

BootsBoots can you ban this offensive filth please

6. 17

teenage dirtbag

I wouldn’t drop a f bomb in an email, but let them fly on a daily basis around the office. I report to the President and we speak pretty candidly so I wouldn’t be scared if he heard me use it in conversation.

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'm offended at you thinking you have the right to be offended.

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Some of the feedback I keep hearing from folks regarding my apology - "Have you ever been in a meeting with our VP? F-bomb Central"

17 likes this.
  9. Duggan

What was the context of the email.

10. Duggan

It wasn't

"Hey Y'all, I am hoping the new admin assistant gets drunk as fuck and is looking to give out handy j's at the xmas party"

11. Wayne

Yeah, I wouldn't want to see swearing in company emails, but no issue with verbal communications where there is clear context.

12. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Maybe this will help. You should send a follow up email with it attached.

no-fuck-alternatives.png

13. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It was a poor attempt to add emphasis to a motivational/celebratory email to get folks pumped up before I then had to ask them to work on something I know they really don't need to work on. I know the email was wrong and apologized.

It's more the discussion about verbal - in meetings, in the hall, etc.

14. 17

teenage dirtbag

:rofl:

15. chainsaw

I swear quite frequently at work, and I work in an environment where you would least expect it.. lol (a few on here know what I do). Don't in emails, but conversation wise, fair game

16. Duggan

Yea we curse around the office, and the old guy here, (72) is not what I would consider PC, even for an old guy. That being said people smarten up when guests come in the door. It was bad at my last place of work when people would sneak in without us noticing and our techs would yell into the office to see if anyone was around. " Hey are any of you (insert cocksuckers, fuckers, assholes, dick smacks etc) up there."

17. Squashtowner

herp derp

At my last job, the boss swore like a sailor. IE: "Can't you fucking read?" "That doesn't fucking belong there." etc, directed at the staff. He was a prick, and his son who is now manager isn't any better, apparently. I don't miss it one bit. At my current job, I work directly with about 10 auto technicians, so profanity is a way of life there and I don't mind, since it's not directed at anyone.

18. MRA

MRA

I will let the F-bomb fly in conversation with my co-workers in person, would never in an e-mail, it's to easy to be taken out of context just reading something in an e-mail

chainsaw likes this.