Summer time Random Thread

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Jul 17, 2018.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Know the game Codenames?

Know the game Cards Against Humanity?

Play Codenames but use the cards from CAH.

Best mashup ever!

KLD likes this.
  2. KLD

KLD

What a good idea!!! Gonna have to try that sometime.

3. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Had an email that I had a package waiting for me at the office. I wasn't expecting anything so almost didn't stop by shipping to pick it up, but remembered as I was walking by later this afternoon. Stop in and they stick a box from Clearwater in front of me. "Weird". I tell the guy in shipping, "I know it's not lobster, but what a weird box", figuring someone had shipped a gift from NS and that was the box they had sitting around.

Back to my office, open it up. Fucking lobster. Live, delicious lobster. FedEx from Bedford to Seattle. No fucking way. Made my day. I open the packaging and find a note from the only other guy at my company from Nova Scotia (that either of us are aware of). I'd had to do him a favor a little while ago (a small one) and joked that lobster would really help seal the deal. Nice!

~*SuzieQ*~, clicker666, Boots and 6 others like this.
  4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

That's cool :cool:

5. MRA

MRA

Awesome

6. Wayne

I haven't had lobster in like 4 years, little bastards cost way too much $

7. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

I had a big feed of lobster when I was back in NS back in April. Was in town for less than 48hrs, had two donairs, garlic fingers, about 20 beers, and three 2 1/2lb lobsters.

I had concerns the plane wouldn't be able to take off on the way home again due to my girth...

Grifter and Nick84 like this.
  8. Mitch

What are they going for up there? There’s a guy in Dartmouth that does $5/lb out of a trailer daily

9. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

^^
    That's what we paid when I had them a few months back. We've got a family friend near Portugese Cove that sells them to us. From trap to table in less than 12 hours usually.

Mitch likes this.
  10. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

We were at Pike Place Market today with visiting relatives - lobster was $40/lb (USD).

11. Grifter

Bluh?

I should pay you guys to ship some out. 18.99 a lb in Alberta. And you know it ain't fresh! :lol:

dpwu32 likes this.
  12. Mitch

It was up to $26/lb when I was in Alberta , I took out 75 pounds once

13. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I shipped 50lbs of donair meat to my coworker in another province before :rofl:

14. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

I flew out with a full sized coleman cooler full of donair meat one year.

Boots likes this.
  15. Grifter

Bluh?

I've resorted to making my own donair meat from a recipe that was posted on RC in the "what I made thread" years ago. That does the trick for me. Make it once or twice a year.

But what I wouldn't give for a feed of fresh lobster, mussels and scallops. :licklips:

~*SuzieQ*~ likes this.
  16. LMAC

_

14.99/lb in ottawa

17. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Random:

On Monday/Tuesday we decided we're going to head out to Kananaskis at some point over the long weekend and get a hike or two in. I was looking at some trail reviews online, and narrowed it down to three options. One of the options was the Rae Glacier trail.

Then on Thursday, a plane crashed in the area with two people aboard. If you knew anything about our history with trip/activity planning, this wouldn't be a surprise.

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-news/breaking-plane-crashes-in-kananaskis-country

We've since decided on a different trail...

18. Wayne

Fredericton right now is $11/lb, cheapest I seen them this year was $8/lb

19. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Remember how Amazon announced the search for a second HQ? Still haven't heard where that is going, but the thing that amazed me was Halifax both thinking they had a chance and thinking it would be a good thing for the city - I saw this sticker in my neighborhood the other day. Seattle has grown so fast, tech workers are now being targetted and blamed for the problems that brings. Homelessness is out of control which also causes spikes in crime. Crazy times.

amazon-graffiti-1260x945.jpg

C. Mike Hunt and dpwu32 like this.
  20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Same attitude in silicon valley :o

21. C. Mike Hunt

Same here. Way too much world-class bullshit going on around here.

22. Crandall

I was reading that the average "blue collar" job at a tech company was around 38k a year, and starting salaries for programmer is 100k. The rate at which the cost of living was going up was insane. They now have groups of people who go around and check on people who are living in their cars because they can no longer afford lodging. The article went on to say the average one bedroom condo is now up to over a million dollars. :puke3:

Nick84 and Boots like this.
  23. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

that's fucked.

24. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Salary of $117k for a family in San Francisco is now considered “poor”.

25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

26. BlackFire

Professional napper

Another ruff summer for me, Last year it was dealing with Cancer. I am all done with that and am doing good now.

But my mother has been very ill and weak so that pretty much put any summer plans on hold. My cousin, who is a nurse, finally convinced her to go the hospital and took her down to the ER. She lives in her own house and wouldn't listen to my brother or I when we tried to take her in. She is terrified of ending up in the hospital. The last time she was in the hospital early in the summer she ended up on in the "teacup" ward which was just holding for people waiting to go into nursing homes. They were pretty much ignored and they didn't do anything to help her. She is now in the Cardiac ICU and not doing well. We don't expect her to be coming out and it may only be a couple of days. We are taking turns being with her. If that wasn't hard enough, I find out last night that my middle brother killed him self a couple days ago and was only found yesterday,

27. KLD

KLD

That is a lot to go through all at once, so sorry this is happening to you. I hope you have some people to lean on during this difficult time.

~*SuzieQ*~ and BlackFire like this.
  28. C. Mike Hunt

29. Dewie

Sweet jesus that's awful - all of it. Props to you for venting though; even if it's to a bunch of randoms on the internet (everything helps).

Best of luck weathering the storm, there will be better times ahead.

~*SuzieQ*~ and BlackFire like this.
  30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Stay strong :(

BlackFire likes this.
  31. hank

Damn, better times ahead I hope :)

BlackFire likes this.
  32. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

BlackFireBlackFire I hope your brother found peace and your mother is not in any (physical) pain.

BlackFire likes this.
  33. BlackFire

Professional napper

My Mom (86) is a little stronger but it's still very touch and go. They are trying to get her blood pressure up before they can even think about trying to tackle the reason she is the hospital in the first place. There have been a couple of night's we didn't think she would see the morning. She is unable to eat due to reduced blood flow to her gut. She hasn't really eaten in a few months and has been living off yogurt, boost and tea. She had this problem abut 4 years ago and at that time she was strong enough for them to put a stint in but it has either failed another blockage has occurred. It's only been the last two nights that she as been alert enough to talk to. We still haven't told her about my brother. We are afraid that she's not strong enough to handle that with her health the way it is.

Dealing with the death of my brother is a whole new can of worms. The only thing we knew was he wanted to be cremated but that is it. We can't have him cremated until we can provide the crematorium with his SIN and Medical Health Card number. We don't know where his wallet is and are not supposed to enter his home unless we have signed consent from the direct next of kin (we don't think he had a will) which would be my mother but we can't get that until she is a lot stronger. My surviving brothers aren't able to help at all. One is in his early 60s and can barely function as an adult anymore. The other is other is in his late 50s, living a gypsy life and is so paranoid and wrapped up with conspiracy theories that you can't get him to talk about anything else. I swear, any inheritance he gets will be spent at the dollar store buying up all the available tinfoil to block out any attempts at mind control.

I know I am going to be the one that will have to break the news to my mother and I know this will break her heart. She feels guilty enough because she already feels that she has failed in getting him the help he needed. She had tried everything she could but there is not much help out there for an adult that won't acknowledge they have a problem and won't ask for help of the people that might be able to help them. Even the adults out there are asking for help rarely get the help they need.

Thank you for listening. I imagine this story will probably get a lot stranger before we get through to the other end.

~*SuzieQ*~ likes this.
  34. Matt30

I can’t really put the words together to correctly express how sorry I am to hear what you’re going through. I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say it’s ok to vent here, we’re all listening and hopefully can give any advice to help get you through this tough time.

Gooch, C. Mike Hunt and Dewie like this.
  35. Dewie

This too sums up how I feel. Even if we can't give you any advice we can at least be a sounding board for you. What a shitty shitty situation to be in; I feel for you.