1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spring(ish?) 2021 thread.

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Grifter, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Grifter

Grifter
    [OP]
    Bluh?

Had a glorious week last week for weather. So I'll call this the spring thread....

What's RC up to in their lives these days? I've been craving Lunenburg Pudding lately, can't get that out here at all. Had my cousin (4t2 for those that remember him) ship me out some last year. Cost like $140 for shipping out half a dozen or so packs :lol:

So today, I am on a quarantine for possible exposure at work, til I get my covid test back... So i decided to tackle some household projects to take advantage of the time. Naturally, I made my own Lunenburg Pudding.

Used a whole pork loin, a couple slightly freezer burnt rib eyes, picked up some beef suet, a whole onion, some steel cut oats and then the necessary spices. Man it turned out great! Anybody ever have this? Fry it up in little disks til it gets a crispy outside. Great for breakfast on the weekend.

Also got our seeds started for the garden. Kids had a blast with that. They did most of it. Pumpkins, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, radish, yellow and green beans and peas.

PXL_20210323_212905378.MP.jpg

PXL_20210323_211233860.MP.jpg

PXL_20210323_004149787.MP.jpg

2. 17

teenage dirtbag

I’m getting nervous my new house won’t be done for the deadline to move out of my current one soooooooooo that’s not stressful at all on top of my work being the busiest we’ve ever been

[​IMG]

Scott and Grifter like this.
  3. Grifter

Grifter
    [OP]
    Bluh?

Yeah that would be a tough situation to navigate should it arise. Think they'd extend?

4. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

We’re renting our place near Bridgewater month to month to a woman waiting on renovations on a place she bought. Sounds like *everything* for renovations is back ordered. Good luck!

In Seattle housing woes, a friend and his girlfriend are trying to buy a new house. Put a bid in on a house this morning. Asking was $1.25 million. They went in at $1.575 million. They were 10th out of 27 offers - haven’t heard what it actually went for. Nuts!

5. 17

teenage dirtbag

my buyers won’t. I’ll have to get a storage unit and Airbnb a place in the city if worst comes to worse

6. 17

teenage dirtbag

Mine got listed Thursday, had 37 showings between Friday and Sunday, 17 offers, winning offer was $75k over asking, $126k more than I paid for it in 2016.

It would be depressing to be a first time home buyer in the market, because you’re not going to get exactly what you want. It’s absolutely insane.

7. PirateSteve

I've been wondering how the offers are working these days. Did you just set a time to stop taking them and then go through them all or did you go back and forth like an auction?

8. 17

teenage dirtbag

Yup, my realtor had a cut off time of 6pm on Sunday. Our offers were anywhere from asking to 75k over, even my backup offer was 65k over. It’s to the point where people are putting in offers and waiving inspections just to ensure they get the property and will deal with any issues later(That wasn’t my scenario but it’s happening)

9. PirateSteve

Unreal. We tried to buy land 6 months ago and got screwed over by the seller and agent. We offered on a piece that had been for sale for quite some time and once our offer was getting close to expiration they came back and said there was a competing offer. We stood pat and ended up as back up. Then the winning offer missed closing and got extended twice before we gave up and walked away.

I would not be buying a house right now if I had any other options. I get it there are a lot of people selling in other provinces and coming home with excess money, but to sell out your equity and take on extra mortgage term would grind my gears bad.

I would have built though.

10. LMAC

_

sounds like ottawa but ottawa is crazy we have end unit townhouses being listed at 699, and selling for 810 single homes listing at 850 selling for over a million

11. 17

teenage dirtbag

it’s a nightmare. When we started looking right before we listed I started getting anxious because the ones we were interested in were going for 60-80k over asking before you even have a chance to do those DIY things you would do to a place to make it your own.

I got really lucky and paid asking for my build, but at the last minute the realtor opened it up to competing offers as someone else was interested. They came in with a higher offer but they didn’t view the property yet and wanted to first (I had) and they didn’t have the 10k cash deposit on hand (I did) so they went with us.
    Now they’ve raised the prices and there have been 5 builds sold since I bought mine.

The amount of relief that will happen the day I put that key in the door for the first time is going to be great. I cannot fucking wait.

PirateSteve, RoryTate and Grifter like this.
  12. Matt30

I’ve started a new job that’s going to allow me wayyyy more time to enjoy the weather. My years of working like an animal and beating the shit of myself are over. Time to put in an honest 8 hours, and go home. No weekend work will be nice.

chainsaw, KMD, 17 and 4 others like this.
  13. KMD

KMD

Are building supply prices crazy back there?
    From what I am told by my brother the prices here are going up like crazy, I don't buy that much lumber.
    The market is the same here, I have a friend who is an agent and she says the same thing I am hearing here. Houses are selling before they are even listed and going above asking, even shit holes are selling for unheard of prices.

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Not sure if you know which house Gates was in near me but it listed for $340K on Monday, they have three offers and are taking offers the rest of the week :rofl:

15. PirateSteve

I did see that. I spent a lot of weekends in that basement in high school. Looks a lot different now

16. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Nothing good ever happened in that basement :rofl:

The house is still in super rough shape.. not worth anywhere even close to the asking price and I'm sure it's gonna get well over that :o

17. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

OSB up 4x, 2x4 studs 3x, ABS pipe shortage, paint shortage coming, drywall mud shortage rumoured, 12 week wait on trusses, engineered floor systems hard to find...the list goes on.
    Store have to be careful bringing things in incase the bottom drops out. Pressure treated getting close to composite. Seeing lots of ICF happening as the price differential lessens.
    Quotes good for a few days. I potty the builder who signed a contract on a series of spec homes before COVID.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    KMD likes this.
  18. 17

teenage dirtbag

My builder said they’re working the weekend to get back on track :bowdown:

19. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Who is your builder-?

20. 17

teenage dirtbag

26 panhandlers I’ve collected from various metro intersections

briangtiguy and Grifter like this.
  21. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Feeding their dogs too?

Grifter likes this.
  22. 17

teenage dirtbag

Of course, I’m not a monster

KMD likes this.
  23. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Took my son for a night time driving lesson tonight. We were doing in-city streets - mix of dark streets without a lot of light and downtown Seattle with lights and stuff going on everywhere. Kind of lost track of where we were and my son asks, “oh, whoops, should I have stopped for that person?” (So they could cross the street. ... “No, I wouldn’t recommend stopping for a prostitute. I don’t think she was looking to cross the road.”

chainsaw, Grifter and MRA like this.
  24. Arod

I am not sure if material costs are much different on the mainland, but on the island cost has gone up nearly 40% at this point. I was at a basic 1600sf rancher with attached garage that had an estimated construction cost of $400k.

Our market has been in the same situation as Halifax for 2 years now. It will calm eventually, but I don't think it will until rates go up. We are renewing our house insurance and the updated replacement cost for the dwelling is over $600k now, we paid $365k for it in 2019. If that isn't a sign that things are fucked I don't know what is.

25. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

26. Grifter

Grifter
    [OP]
    Bluh?

Took the boys out for the first camping trip. Needed to clear my head and disconnect. Sister and her family came as well.

PXL_20210417_213501354.MP.jpg

Scott, chainsaw, KMD and 2 others like this.
  27. RoryTate

I got out kayaking last weekend for 6.5 hours. Not bad for a first paddle.

172299174_10158612228226773_7620719874725164509_n.jpg

Scott, Nick84, chainsaw and 2 others like this.
  28. Scott

rawr

Happy place, on a trail, in the woods, with the pooch

[​IMG]

chainsaw, KMD, RoryTate and 3 others like this.
  29. Pottie

I don't know what we were thinking. What the hell is up with our weather, can the wind just fuck off for one day?

20210418_133018.jpg

Nick84 likes this.
  30. KMD

KMD

I had a sunny weekend 21 on Saturday and 12 and windy on Sunday but I got the tractor out on and ready on Saturday and got the lawn aerated on Sunday and going to get the first batch of fertilizer on later today for the rain later this week to take care of.
    I just hope I am not shooing myself in the foot by creating a monster, this is the first time I have done all this lawn care stuff. I usually just run the mower over it.

31. Arod

Got the new parts on the bike (have since routed the dropper cables through the frame) and out for a few rips

175443090_10158408718356314_6882006135590863738_n.jpg

RoryTate, HairyAss and Nick84 like this.
  32. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Sweet ride. Take it off any jumps?

chainsaw, Nick84 and Grifter like this.
  33. Wayne

I am not even joking when I say, I am having a hard time getting into my bike due to it being a pain in the ass...literally.

I had a seat fitted, I have padded shorts, but even after 10/15 mins my ass is so sore, any tips? :goatse:

34. RoryTate

I bought a $3 gel seat cover from the dollar store, and it solved my PITA issues.

35. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

WayneWayne - The acronym for what you need to do makes me laugh - it’s called TITS - Time In the Saddle. Yes, it is a literal pain in the ass when you start. It gets better with time. I do 100km rides now and it’s not my ass that’s sore after but other muscles.

RoryTateRoryTate - a gel seat might be ok for the occasional rider but the experts point to a proper harder seat as the best solution, especially as your mileage increases. The main thing you want is to train your sit bones to be on the right part of the seat and over time, it becomes more comfortable. Gel seats only cause other bits to squish around so while it feels better on a short ride, it causes more discomfort on longer rides.