So explain the logic of this impeachment to me

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Cheddar, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Cheddar

Cheddar
    [OP]
    Red is the New Green

I'm only loosely following this whole impeachment thing, but its going me wondering, does it really mean anything? Consider this. The vote to impeach was split down the party lines, and its all but carved in stone that as the Republicans control the senate, there is close to zero percent chance that they will choose to remove him from office. So the Democrats will say, he's guilty, that's why he was impeached, while the Republicans will say, no, he wasn't removed from office, therefore he's innocent. When in actuality he was impeached because the house is stacked with the opposing party, and he's not being given the boot because the Senate is made up of his own party.
    So at the end of the day this is pretty much like having your worst enemies at your indictment who have said that they are going to vote to indict before even entering the courtroom, and you best friends and family as the jury for your trial, who before the trial even begins, have announced that they are going to to find you innocent regardless of the evidence. So A) other than being a complete waste of time any money, what is this supposed to accomplish? B) How is this even considered to be a legitimate trial? and C) How are people left in charge of running a country, allowed to be left in charge to run a country when they have all but said that they don't care what the evidence is, they are just going to vote whatever way suits them best? How is this serving their citizens and in however many years the US has existed, how has nobody pointed out and corrected the idiocy of it?

I mean really at the end of the day his supporters aren't going to change their minds because of what the House decided, and his detractors aren't going to consider the Senate's decision either.

I'd love to see if this discussion could progress without the die-hard Conservatives or Liberals using this as a platform to insult one another even though I'm sure it will digress into that quickly.

Grifter likes this.
  2. tribeachpunk

Outcome is so predetermined that I've hardly paid any attention.

Grifter likes this.
  3. LMAC

_

yeah i have no idea whats going on with it, it seems like just a make news thing at this point, and will happen all over again in 2020 when he is re-elected...

Grifter likes this.
  4. C. Mike Hunt

Which, sadly, is a distinct possibility. Especially if the Democrats nominate Biden, which they probably will.

5. 17

teenage dirtbag

Biden needs to drop out, then trump got impeached for nothing. It would be awesome

Wayne likes this.
  6. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

It puts it on record that he committed impeachable acts as President and also puts it on record that the Republicans supported him through the whole thing. It's not ideal as he's still in power but it's better than just letting him do whatever he wants. He won't get re-elected. There's going to be a blue surge at the polls like they've never seen before. That's my prediction.

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

lol

8. tribeachpunk

[​IMG]

9. chainsaw

Technically the senate is supposed to take an oath that they will vote independently on the evidence and not along party lines, but we know that that's not going to happen and he will be acquitted..

10. 17

teenage dirtbag

i'd say id be surprised if he got re elected but the populous was dumb enough to elect him once so who knows :shrug:

Grifter likes this.
  11. Cheddar

Cheddar
    [OP]
    Red is the New Green

And thata my point. In civilian life a judge could declare a mistrial if it was painfully obvious that something other than evidence lead to a particular verdict. Is that not the case here?

12. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Trump will at least make it close, if not get elected again.

Evidence of the blindness to how bad Trump is to his supporters:

13. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

The Impeachment process overall is broken. Bill Clinton was also impeached but never removed. It's a farce of a process.

Wayne likes this.
  14. 17

teenage dirtbag

The process is fine, it’s the senate voting partisan that fucks it all up.

chainsaw likes this.
  15. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

... which means it is broken. If the system in place can’t be used, then the system is broken.

chainsaw and Lex Lucas like this.
  16. 17

teenage dirtbag

Good point

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I have faith that the intelligent people in America got a wakeup call that they can't sit on the arse during an election or you'll end up with a situation like you have now. I hope so at least. Trump is terrible for the world.

18. Scott

rawr

This could be very bad for him

19. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I agree wholeheartedly. I just don’t have faith in the American voters that they’re smart enough:

- George Bush got a second term.
    - look at all the stuff Trump said and did before he got elected the first time. His base is blind to anything he does.

The American system is not based on who will make the best president but on red vs blue. It’s all about who shows up Election Day and actually votes. The results are near 50/50.

20. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I try not to talk politics at work but I know several really intelligent folks who would still vote for him in a second term. It’s amazing.

21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

It's because the political system down there is bought and paid for. You're better off being a corporation than a person down there.

22. 17

teenage dirtbag

The people who I see supporting him, Canadian or US are people I wouldn’t be so quick to call intelligent. :lol:

23. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

In general, I agree - it's the pocket supporters that you find out about and shake your head. The CEO of a company I used to work for along with several of the founders are all Trump supporters. It's amazing - they're definitely smart enough to start successful companies, have made amazing names for themselves, and recently just sold the company and now are rich as fuck. All 3 of the folks I'm thinking of also have families, seem to have good values, etc etc. One other person at that company who I wouldn't call the sharpest tool in the shed - she's nice as hell, though - sweet, kind, caring, etc. but then you get to know her, become friends on Facebook and, whack, Trump supporter. Her Christmas card is her and her family all standing in front of the Christmas tree holding the new guns they're getting for Christmas. There are other folks who I work directly with now... I just had to go through end of year rewards work where one of the things I had to do was effective stack rank folks on my team. The guy at the very top? Trump supporter. But he does an amazing job at work and is smart as fuck - again, has a family, seems to have good values. It's amazing.