1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleep Disorders?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by KMD, Apr 20, 2022.

1. KMD

KMD
    [OP]

2. Wayne

1%er

I have undiagnosed sleep apnea, both my wife and father has taped me sleeping to prove it to me.

I should do something about it really...

Although it's gotten better since drinking become a rare occasion and only then a little at a time.

3. KMD

KMD
    [OP]

I hated doing the testing for it and it was all before the COVID so I am sure it's different now but going to a sleep lab was not an ideal place to be tested for sleep. I swore I didn't sleep all night there and they swore I did and that I HAD sleep apnea. I was positive it was just a racket to sell CPAP machines and still am to some extent because there is no way in hell a person is sleeping as well as they do at home in one of these labs with all these wires hooked up to them in a strange place in a strange bed knowing you are on camera. I mean a person can only perform so well in front of a camera for so long.
    I am not doubting that I have apnea but because of the diagnoses I now have to have YEARLY driver medicals, this is why I asked this question I was curious if anyone else had to go through this bullshit elsewhere because the government thinks they might fall asleep while driving over to Costcos or up to Canadian Tire.
    CheddarCheddar is this an insurance thing? BC has .gov insurance. I just have a class 5,6 license it's not like I was diagnosed with narcolepsy.

4. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

You don't suddenly develop not breathing while you sleep in a lab, right?

5. KMD

KMD
    [OP]

Nope or your heart stopping, but like I said they can't evaluate your true sleep by sleeping in a lab.

6. Grifter

Bluh?

I slept in a lab once...
    Sign said I'd get a lifetime subscription to cocoa pebbles and a free bike. Neither presented themselves. Stumbled out of there with sore left shoulder and felt like I shit out a cucumber and pissed sideways for a week. But hey! Cocoa pebbles are back at the grocery stores! Worth it!

:lol:

Wayne and KMD like this.
  7. Miss Shawty

I have insomnia. I have to take medication to sleep. :ugh:

8. C. Mike Hunt

Been using CPAP for about 6 years now.

So it knew it was a problem when I would wake up and still be snoring. Any given day I would be exhausted. One time I fell asleep at work while my supervisor was talking to me. (not a joke, fortunately he was understanding).

Did the Ares at-home sleep test where you wear this thing on your head for a night. Turns out I had stopped breathing 63 times in one hour.

The first night I used the CPAP it took me a couple of hours to get to sleep but when I woke up I could already feel the difference. It was light night and day (pun intended). During the day it felt weird that I wasn't so tired. I guess I had gotten used to it.

In any case, I totally advocate for CPAP.

KMD likes this.
  9. 17

teenage dirtbag

Lights on lights off tv on tv off day night afternoon couch bed floor cold hot quiet or loud I can sleep no issue

just can’t fall asleep in a vehicle

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'm the same way except I could sleep in a vehicle... or on top of a moving vehicle. All I need is a spot to lay down lol

11. Miss Shawty

You guys are so lucky. It takes me forever to fall asleep even with medication. I will only fall asleep if I'm in a bed with no noise and no lights. :lol: It sucks. But if I'm really tired ill fall asleep within 30 minutes.

12. Grifter

Bluh?

I've become more and more reliant on melatonin this last year. Never had to take it in my life. But with the stresses of COVID... Divorce... Undertaking a new role at work... It's been a hell of a year! Take melatonin most nights now. It does help me fall to sleep faster. Otherwise I'd be laying in bed for an hour before I could fall to sleep.

13. Miss Shawty

Before I was diagnosed with insomnia, I tried melatonin and it gave me nightmares! :lol:

14. BlackFire

Professional napper

My issue was tinnitus preventing me from falling asleep. To me, when there is no external noise it sounds like I am in a server room. I've gone back to listening to audiobooks when I go to bed . I set the timer for 30 minutes of play and that is normally enough that I am starting to dose off when the book stops.