Skippin

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SPOONIN, Aug 4, 2004.

1. SPOONIN

SPOONIN
    [OP]

man..this puter is pretty new..the only thing i salvaged was the HD from my old puter....had it running for 6 months..no problem...now the fuckin thing is skipping...and not all the time...ill tell you now..im an idiot when it comes to this shit....is this software?..or hardware.

most of the time...when just serfin...if i scroll around with the mouse...the pointer will move..then stall...move then stall.
    same while gaming...itll skip like a scratched CD...opening windows...even typin...skip skip skip.
    when i open a program...the processor light on the tower will come on like a computer is supposed to...and then most of the time..but not all...the light will stop almost like its hestating..and itll do this over and over..for a few minutes..before it starts to work normally again.
    sorry if i dont have all the lingo down..but if anyone can help me diagnose this problem..id greatly appreciate it.

2. JoeLouie

6 months old? Pretty new? Um... hate to tell ya, but it was old the second you pulled it out of the box, lol.

Seriously though, did you just put the hard drive from your old computer into it now and it started "skipping"? or have you had that hard drive in there for a while?

The only 2 things that I can think of are that you need more memory, or your hard drive doesn't have much free space on it. Sounds more like you need more memory though.

3. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Did you format and then reinstall windows when you put the drive in your new compuer? If you did then that is good.Have you scanned for spyware lately?? That could be what is doing it. Have you installedthe proper drivers for your video card? that could be another cause. Have you installed updated mouse drivers? All these could be a cause for your problem.
    Personally I wouold think it is either spyware or the video card drivers as I have had the same problems on occasion in the past.

Could you post the specs of your computer also. ie: processor speed and amount of ram etc.

4. SPOONIN

SPOONIN
    [OP]

format was done...and the HD has been in it since day one....spywareblaster has been run...adaware all the time...drivers came with the video card...mouse drivers are correct.

i have a 2.1 gig(celeron) with 256 ddr
    i have a 256 radeon 9600

i defragged..disc clean up..its funny tho..i have less SW on my puter now...and this just happend all of a sudden

i just used tweak to op my ram...we ll see if it helps.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

unhook hardware one by one and see if that narrows it down.

6. Hoyt

when it starts ctrl+alt+del check processes and see which if theres any process abnormally high, and check system idle

or

run it in a clean boot and see if it happens then

7. Dural

Insert something witty

I get a kick out of people responding with help. There should be colour coding or something in this section. Something that says try this person's advice before anything else, cause some of what's said is right out there.

Oh yeah, BTW MYDIXIEWRECKED listen to Boots first. What ever he tells you to do, do it before trying anyone else's advice.