Shooting RAW. Where to start?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Worsl, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Worsl

Worsl
    [OP]

I think I have done enough shooting to start shooting in RAW. The thing is I don't really know where to start. Is there much different in the PP of RAW files over JPEG? I'm kind of wondering what some people's routines are with shooting RAW. Even if I could be pointed to a helpful tutorial or article it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. N / A

you can start shooting in RAW + JPG and you'll get one of each file, then when you go into your RAW processing app (DPP or whatever you use) you can see what the camera had done with the image vs the raw image to get a feel for what it shoud look like.

3. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

Raw is all i shoot... 8 gig card does 700 shots...
    But theres sooo many benefits... White balance for one, Next is the beauty of being able to up your exposure by almost +2

How i do my work, is the card goes in, imports to Lightroom, then do exposure adjustments as well as small other adjustment, then bring the photo into Photoshop CS4 for the final adjustment. And then web upload haha.

4. Cracker

non-n00b

What are you shooting with that gets you 700 shots on an 8GB? I can only get about 125-140 on a 4GB

5. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

I'm sorry but ::hsugh: :puke3: :lukepuke:.
    Raw is great but 'saving' a frame in that manner will destroy IQ. Maybe not tooooo horrific at websize of viewed at like 20% or something...but you're not going to get a clean image after upping the exposure in post by 2 stops when viewing at 100%. If I have to try to 'save' an underexposed image, if it's more then a 1/4 or 1/2 stop at most I shitcan the file, and even that is pushing it.
    No matter if you're shooting raw or jpg, basic things like exposure still have to be nailed in camera if you want good image quality.

6. Worsl

Worsl
    [OP]

Problem!? Lightroom doesn't seem to recognize my Rebel XT so I use Picasa 3 to import pictures on to my computer. Picasa doesn't see the RAW files in my camera. Thoughts?

7. Arod

I agree with Mosher! Expose a close to perfect as possible in Camera and then shit can anything that requires more than 1/2 of a stop adjustment.

Whether it be environmental or in studio....if you are not shooting on the fly and have a minute there is no reason why one can not nail an exposure in camera.

8. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

even if you are shooting on the fly there is no reason you should be underexposing by 2 stops and thinking oh, well i shot raw i can fix that later. it's just poor performance.

9. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

Maybe not to get that much of a over exporsure... But yes i have done it this way... You come shoot at 2.8 at STFX gym and need fast shutter speed. underexpose by 1/3 or 2/3 (unusual) but i do, go -1/3 just to get the shutter speed then kick it up in Lightroom... When i can control the setting more like studio, then i play with the exposure on the camera. not in lightroom

10. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

I have shot sports indoors and not came home with images 2 stops underexposed...most likely in dingier places than a university gym...anyway...do whatever works for you as long as you are happy with the resulting image quality. I would not be ok with images that were that underexposed being 'saved' in post.

11. Cracker

non-n00b

This makes absolutely no sense to me... :confused:
    I have shot at the Acadia gym and many different rinks through out the province and to reduce the noise while keeping my shutter speed higher I always overexpose my images not underexpose. It is much easier to recover details in the highlights than it is in the shadows.

12. Arod

Shoot at a higher ISO (if possible) and nail your exposure. I am willing to bet that the noise incurred by doing that will be far less than if you underexpose and bump it up in post.

13. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

word.

14. Cracker

non-n00b

I should clarify that when I said to overexpose I only ment that for low light action photography where a faster shutter speed is required. Although, "pushing to the right" seems to be a new rule a lot of people are toying with for their day to day images as well.

15. Worsl

Worsl
    [OP]

Before I asked I didn't really think too much. I have just heard RAW is better, always shoot in RAW. Why?:confused:

16. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

i wouldn't call it 'new'. I've been exposing to the right pretty much since I started using dslr. :)

17. Arod

Exactly, as long as there have been histograms to read and people understood them there has been people who are...well...exposing properly. Not a new phenomenon by an means.

18. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

JPEG is a lossy image compression format, and when shooting in JPEG the camera decides on a lot of image parameters for you (like color temp, sharpening, etc).

Shooting in RAW provides an uncompressed image, basically a dump of everything that was on the image sensor with image parameters provided as metadata (ex: color temp) which can be changed easily when editing the image.

You get more control over the final image and better overall image quality when shooting in RAW, but you also have more work to do to achieve it.

19. Worsl

Worsl
    [OP]

Thanks! If my PP sucks should I maybe stick to JPEG for a little while longer?

20. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Stick with jpeg until you have the basics down pat, then go wild with RAW. It's an easier learning curve that way.