Shipping a few rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms and Shooting Sports' started by billybob, Nov 4, 2017.

1. billybob

billybob
    [OP]
    The Schooner, the better.

My father finally got a few of his guns back from his brother and wants to ship them from NS to BC for me.

He has a Savage E99 .308 lever action thats from like the 1940s and a Winny model 70 .303 from the 1930s. I want to keep them in the family so I want to take custody of them.

Whats the best way to ship? Do I need an authorization to transport for non-restricted? Doesn't even sound like I need to notify anyone. Just trigger locks and a hard shell locked case?

Input anyone? tribeachpunktribeachpunk still at Rons? Do you guys have shipping type hard cases?

2. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

Happy to help. You've got your PAL eh? I know it's a dumb question but it's an important dumb question.

Shipping firearms is as easy as shipping anything else. I ship them all by Canada Post. Tracked, insured, signature required. If you happen to have their VentureOne small business card, now is the time to use it.

You don't require any authorization to transport non restricted firearms and you're not required to notify anyone. You're not required to lock them for shipping. I've never shipped or been shipped a locked firearm. Canada Post has some stipulations that the firearm must be locked but like I said, I've never seen one locked. I've heard of some shipped firearms disabled by zip-tie. Long guns are almost always oversized packages. Yours will be. That adds $10 flat to the cost of shipping. Signature and insurance are gonna add up too unfortunately. I don't discuss what I'm shipping with the clerk. What is in the box is nobody's business but your own. Same goes for picking it up at the post office if they miss you at your residence. Sign for it, secure it in your trunk and don't open it til you're at home.

I'm sure I can find your old man a few rifle boxes and some packing paper to provide some fill inside them if that would help. Any appropriate sized box he can turn up with enough packing paper will work. OR ship them in a hard plastic gun case that is zip-tied shut. We have them at the store but they can be had at any Walmart for the same or less. They're one of the things we have difficulty selling for a competitive price for a bunch of reasons lately.

Personally, I trust the card board box packed with care over a plastic Plano case. Those things can break when you drop them. A cardboard rifle box slathered with packing tape isn't going to break open. If I'm shipping two similar sized rifles to the same customer I'll pack them in identical boxes and tape the two boxes together. The farther anything I ship is traveling, the more tape I'll use. I'll use a ton of packing paper too. Or peanuts. But usually paper. Not newspaper or anything with ink that could bleed out.

Hope that's helpful.

Nick84 likes this.
  3. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

Super helpful!

I do have my PAL, restricted and non.

If you have some boxes kicking around that would be stellar. He is always in town and could swing by any time. Definitely like the idea of packing them individually and taping them together.

What am Iooking at cost for shipping approx? 100-150 bucks?

4. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

I'll rustle up some boxes and let you know when I've got them ready. Should be able to find two appropriate for them tomorrow.

One thing I forgot to mention about packing for shipping that applies to the Winchester.
    Remove the bolt and wrap it in paper, away from the rifle, in the same box.
    Otherwise with the bolt left in, the knob could potentially come through the side of the box.

Shipping cost is probably half that. I have box specs around for a Mosin Nagant 91/30 on my phone somewhere.
    If I can turn them up I'll be able to better ballpark the cost using the dimensions and weight of the 91/30...

5. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

Shipping from Agricola Street, Halifax to Prince George, BC. I think you're in BC now, so I picked a northern BC city and used the postal code of a post office there as recipient.

I used the LxWxH (126x17x10cm) of a rifle I've shipped enough times to have it's dimensions and weight on my phone. Length and width stay the same. The boxes are stacked so the height doubles.. New dimensions are 126x17x20cm. Weight on the cardboard box with rifle inside (and some related accessories like sling and cleaning kit, etc.) I've shipped was ~5 KG so I doubled that too.

Signature is gonna run you $1.50, and insurance costs a couple bucks per $100. I'm not sure how you should insure them. Canada Post will want some proof of their value to compensate if they are lost, damaged or destroyed.

That should give you a pretty good ballpark for shipping costs.

[​IMG]

6. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

Right on. Thats all exactly what I need to know. Thanks Corey.

Beaker likes this.
  7. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

I've got boxes if they're helpful. I think they're good to 106cm overall length which may or may not cut it for your guns..