SEO

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by brokenhat, Mar 6, 2009.

1. brokenhat

brokenhat
    [OP]

I've been working hard on this for only a few weeks and my website is already ranking higher on all the major search engines. Just wondering if you pros with websites are giving this the attention it probably deserves.

I checked the only major wedding photographer I could find in the Amherst area, did some snooping and realized he didn't even use keywords on his web pages. Guess when you have a monopoly it's not that big a deal but for all of you in HRM, SEO should be very familiar to you.... IMHO of course.

PS I just realized this will be asked so...
    SEO - Search Engine Optimization :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. SheOfManyChildren

3. brokenhat

brokenhat
    [OP]

Tanya, if you put your name in the search, of course it will be found and with a high ranking. Search like a persepective client who doesn't know what photographers are in the area would, like:

photography, halifax, nova scotia

When I do this, I don't see your website anywhere near the top. That's what SEO does.

4. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Googling 'Halifax Photographer' produces no familiar names until the 3rd results page...

5. brokenhat

brokenhat
    [OP]

My point exactly. Most of us are photographers, not web or marketing experts.

6. pcphotos

I haven't given it the attention it deserves and will be looking into this soon. First I want a new site and that's proving to be a challenge.

7. SheOfManyChildren

8. SheOfManyChildren

Lol.....I had to chuckle....just got an email and booked a session with a local ER physician who is expecting in April...I asked how she heard of me, assuming it was through a collegue since we work in the hospital with a lot of the same physicians.....she said it was Google!

:lol: Stupid me forgot to ask what she googled for.

9. brokenhat

brokenhat
    [OP]

I rest my case. :bigup:

10. grahamr

GrahamR :D

One thing to note from all this is that everyone should had a stats package running on their website. Google analytics is good and it's free. What this will allow youvto do is track your visitors and how they find you, and whatvthey do once they find you. For example if they clicked your email link or filled out your form to contact you.

11. grahamr

On a realted note I think this is another type of thread we could have in a "working pros" forum as I know there Are alot of experienced web people here as well as photographers

12. Squashtowner

herp derp

I made a rudimentary web page for a friend's lumber and veneer company, and using SEO keywords, I managed to get search location #1 on google...when you searched for his biggest competitor :o

They actually threatened legal action. :muri: :muri:

13. grahamr

that's awesome - i know there are a few resorts in Quebec that do quiet well based on the misspellings of consumers who search for the Tremblant resorts and spell that incorrectly.

note the section "where is tremblanc" about how tremblanc is the incorrect spelling, yet drives MANY referrals to this competing resort LOL

http://www.skimontblanc.com/summer_site/english/home.php

14. HatMan

Pentaxian Extraordinaire

That's something I've got in the works for HPS members... I wish I had more time!

15. HatMan

Pentaxian Extraordinaire

Sorry Tanya... :(

I just did a search for Halifax Baby Photo - remember people are generally quite lazy - and the highest ranked photographer I recognized was actually "Moments In Time" - I gave up after 7 pages and did not recognize anyone else...

16. brokenhat

brokenhat
    [OP]

That's the key, you need to rank as highly as possible with as many search terms as possible as everyone will search slightly differently and non computer people will search weirdly even sometimes and this needs to be taken into consideration. Also Google ranks much differently than Microsoft, Yahoo, etc... so try the same search terms in all the major search engines and see how differently for yourselves.

17. SheOfManyChildren

You don't have to apologize. :lol:

18. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

What are the SEO methods best used these days? It changes year to year and search engine to search engine.

I'm using a combination of meta tags (ex: Description, Abstract, Keywords) as well as the same text in the page. I populate the info from the xmp embedded in the image as well. What else should I be doing?

19. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

As much as I wish I had time to worry about this...lol I don't. So I must be doing something right.

20. Arod

Same.

I put zero effort in to SEO and people find me just fine I think time would be better spent shooting and creating brand awareness. I work in a small market so fighting for hours and hours trying to improve my rankings will be useless.

21. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

We are going to be fighting in the same market soon. I'm sure there is more than enough to go around tho :)

22. Arod

Oh fuck yeah, is there ever.

It is funny, the college pumps out photography students like it is going out of style but none want to stay because they think there is no market...they all go to Halifax.

23. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

Well I mean they have that certificate and everything. :lol:

24. mcgraths

Timestopper

Meta tags actually do very little, and are actually ignored in most cases. They are very easy to abuse so in the best of cases it will make a very small difference.

The number one way to get your rankings up, is to have people to link to you. I would say second is having the proper text content on your site. Sadly all you photographers that run a pure flash website, don't have any text that search engines can parse so you will have a much harder time than someone who isn't running flash.

Some other things that will help with SEO: Having a sitemap, create accounts on Social Media websites (facebook, myspace, flickr, etc) that link back to your website, having descriptive urls, text based navigation, and having descriptive page titles.

Search engines are also smart enough to recognize abuse (read SPAM) so be careful not to go crazy with any methods you try.