Runners

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by HairyAss, Jan 5, 2012.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I'm back in from a run outside this morning (took all my motivation to head outside instead of hitting the treadmill at -5) and thought I'd start this thread up.

What are your running goals for the new year?
    What distances do you run?
    Where do you run (inside/outside/favorite spots)?
    Favorite run?
    Organized runs you'll be hitting this year?
    Running gadgets?

2. Scott

rawr

3. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Get back into 1/2 marathon shape and beat my personal best at that distance. I ran my last one in June of last year where I had a horrid run (dehydration, muscle spasms) and never really fully recovered. I'm finally "back" now and have motivation to get into it again full time.

For organized runs, I either go with 10k or 1/2 marathon distances. 5k seems to short unless I wanted to work on a speed run and I have no motivation to do a full marathon.

We have a treadmill in the basement in front of a TV and media player. Up until recently, it also had a PS2 attached. I'm looking for a PS3 to put with it so I can play hockey while I'm running. If it's too cold out, I'll run there. If it's warm enough (-5 and above), I'll run outside. I typically just take off from my house in Bedford - great hill training. My favorite training run is down on the Bedford waterfront through Shore Drive.

Favorite run?

Last year, my wife and I joined a team for the Cabot Trail relay. It was an absolutely amazing run. I will definitely try and get an invite again this year.

I'm on the waiting list for the Hypothermic 1/2 in February and would like to get on a team for the Cabot Trail Relay. Other than that, it will be the regular runs we hit, I think: Bluenose (hoping to do a 1/2 there this year; I've only done the 10k there in the past), Johnny Miles 1/2, and Harvest Marathon 1/2. We'll also take in Not Since Moses (running on the mud flats in Five Islands - awesome time, pretty sure I saw Heather there), and the Muir Murray Wine run in November - 10k, wine tastings at the water breaks. I travel to Portland, OR fairly often for work and my wife has also been eyeing some runs there so I may do something there.

Running gadgets?

iPhone / Nike+ running app. I'll probably make the jump to a Garmin running watch at some point for more accuracy on rates while running and training.

4. Bald

Birthplace Removed

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Johnny Miles is a really well organized run and the route is good - the only problem at longer distances is that you end up looping around the route (twice for a 1/2, four times for a full) so it's a bit repetitive.

6. Bald

Birthplace Removed

I've heard that, the benefit though is that it is mostly a flat course? Great spot for posting a decent personal best if it is.

7. visual_kool

Rebuild my knee and get back to my 35 min runs

On the treadmill 35ish mins, but currently I'm at 3 mins (since rebuilding knee and going a little at a time). Outside I run by kms and was at 5

Cold temps inside on treadmill, warm around my subdivision. One lap is exactly 1km

Favorite run?
    When I first started running about 10 years ago I had a very scenic route in Cambridge.

None

Running gadgets?
    a hat to keep the sun and sweat out of my eyes when outside. Inside I setup a tv or laptop to keep my mind occupied

I hope to be at 20 mins on the treadmill by next month. I find running to be a good source of stress relief

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Definitely flat, especially compared to some of the other runs, so yes - definitely a spot to go for a Personal Best.

9. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Heads up for those thinking about the Bluenose: It is now 12 weeks prior to the run. If you wanted to follow a training program at all to get ready, this is really the sweet spot. Some people do 16 week programs and some do 9. I find it hard to keep focus for 16 weeks and 9 weeks is too quick of a ramp up for longer distances, so 12 is just about right.

Get running!

10. Hiltzy

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  11. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It's Not Since Moses.

ie: the guy who parted the seas.

12. Hiltzy

updated for accuracy

13. Sublime

Mmm limey

I think the Not Since Moses run looks like a good time! Just make sure you wear old runners that you don't mind having ruined!

14. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I ran it last year - it was a great time, if a bit disorganized.

My wife and I use it as an opportunity to ruin our running shoes that we've already retired. I have already purchased new running shoes for this year and the old ones are sitting in my closet waiting for this run. We do the same with the kids.. had to duct tape my son's sneakers to his feet last year as the velcro had completely gone on them.

I'm pretty sure Heather ran as well.

15. Heather

everything to everyone

I did, it's a blast!!!

16. Gooch

running is not that great for you

17. Hiltzy

oh please do tell....why is it not that great for you?

18. Bald

Birthplace Removed

Probably the same reason why Nike isn't a real running company.

19. Gooch

People run for hours a day. I do not think this is good for your body
    If you are doing it for health and cardio there are much better ways to achieve this.
    I run everyday but it is for very shorts periods of time at higher intensity.

The problem I have is the bigger people that start running to get in shape. fail

20. Gooch

dude...they are for looks
    Nike is not a running shoe company.
    I would be curious to know how many people use nike in marathons that are not paid to do so. Think you can find this stat?

21. Hiltzy

its not fail at all for overweight people to run. any cardio activity is to their benifit. what they need to do is do it properly though. you don't just start out running 10ks or half marathons. ive been running for years, its not hard on your body at all as long as you use the right equipment and don't do more than your body can handle.

22. Gooch

do you do it for the cardio/ fitness aspect?
    Why not do something funner and more of a full body. Run to different exercises and cardio equipment....keep the body guessing
    Running for 2 hours everyday for years is not going to do it. Your body adapts and after a while you just go through the motions

23. Hiltzy

I do it for exercise...I also do it because I find it to be a good stress releiver and a good time for me to really think over something I might be thinking about and trying to decide on. I also paddle 3 days a week, play baseball and hockey.

Any avid runner will tell you that their runs are not usually the same. They pick different routes or distances depending on the goal of the run or if they feel like there is not enough challenge in it.

In the end...id rather somebody walk an hour a day or run the same route every day than see them sit in front of a TV and play video games all day long. Any cardio is better than no cardio.

24. Bald

Birthplace Removed

Nike STARTED in running.
    Find that stat for any company out there.

Nike makes some great products from running shoes, to running clothing, etc. They also make some great casual goods as well.
    As does every other running company out there.

Name a company that is purely running?

25. Bald

Birthplace Removed

For me running IS fun.
    I do other things that I enjoy to build a good healthy body, but I know lots of strictly runners that are incredible fit that only do cardio.

Anything done improperly can lead to damage, like say running every day for 2 hours 7/365. Your body needs rest time too and without it you will be prone to injury.
    Do you actually run and if so what are your running shoes you are currently using as runners?
    ps "funner" is not a word

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  26. Gooch

I wear tons of Nike gear....love it
    But i would never run seriously with a pair of their sneakers.
    They sell shox and nike air as running shoes. I can't believe I have to explain this again. YOU CAN NOT HAVE AIR UNDER YOUR FOOT WHILE RUNNING. The Shox thing is even worse.
    Bald please tell me you at least agree with this "YOU CAN NOT HAVE AIR UNDER YOUR FOOT WHILE RUNNING"

27. Bald

Birthplace Removed

Yes I agree. But to totally discount an entire company from quality products for a few mistakes means you'd have to run barefoot literally.

But Reebok,Adidas, etc. have all had air products in their lineup at one point or another.

The shox were a wonderful(heavy) running sneaker if you were under 150lbs and had a perfect gait, which doesn't exist normally.

It's like the whole minimalist running that's going on, it's wonderful for those that can do it, but it's not for everyone and can do SERIOUS damage to your limbs if you are say a heel striker or flat footed.

I have run in Nike sneakers, I love their "free" serious for shorter runs. they make a decent product in some respects and have a long standing history in the sport of running.

They even had 2 models in the Top 25 shoes of 2012 in Runners Magazine(take it with a grain of salt as they also have lots of advertisements in there too)

Something I didn't know is that Sketchers makes a really good running shoe, as does Ecco. Even Salomon has stepped up to the Road running game with a quality product.

28. Gooch

But Nike is air
    That is their thing dude

29. Bald

Birthplace Removed

No, it's not.
    Nike STARTED with running shoes.
    Nike STARTED the free running back in the 80's
    Nike has a really good line up of shoes for people that are light in mass, light on their gait and do not have pre-existing issues with joint pain.
    Nike air shoes has some really good rebound in them(nature of compressing any gas like Air). The also make a great line of shoes that do not have Air bags for running and have won many events on the feet of some of the fastest runners in the world.

I have some knee issues due to a few cycling accidents over the years and find wearing their air bagged shoes means more joint pain then with other cushioned shoes.

but anyone can become injured from activity if done improperly.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  30. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Gooch and Bald: Kiss and make up and GTFO of my thread.

31. Gooch

haha fair enough

32. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Heading out for a 13k.. First "long run" in my 1/2 training.

Really re-thinking all the beer I had last night.. May be my first run-puke combo day!

But, I'm still going. Fuck excuses.

33. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

No puke.

I accidentallied a few extra kilometers and came in at just under 16k. Awesome day for a run!

34. Scott

rawr

I was happy with my 3k today :lol:

35. Bald

Birthplace Removed

Tried for a run yesterday, Landed on my ass 3 times in the first 2 kms.

So I decided to head home.

I hate running on icy sidewalks!