Router problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Krazy, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Krazy

Krazy
    [OP]
    3KGT'r

I know you want to post "Sorry we don't support routers" cause most of us have done tech support or know someone who has... Here's the deal. I'm using Alliant high speed which you must dialup for... It stays connect for a short amount of time then disconnects and will not reconnect till you go in and reset the router... Anyone have Alliant dialup high speed and a router that can get it work stay connected??? Thanks for you help in advance

2. Xtreme989

I had Aliant about a year ago, and no they don't support routers. It would connect through the router but it wouldn't stay connected on any PC. Aliant's answer was no, our internet is designed not to work with routers....good luck with it.

3. Fr3nChY

You Guessed it.

I take it you mean PPoe?

Need more info type of router ect..

4. Fr3nChY

You Guessed it.

Aliant PPpoe will work with routers the reason they don't support it is because it shares your connection and they loose money, thats why they tell you it will not work but it really does.

5. Xtreme989

it's funny that they are so worried about losing money over this, when eastlink will openly setup your router for you, and let you do it. wouldn't they lose money by not supporting this and having customers go to eastlink?

6. Jake

Is your router configured for static or dynamic ip?

I had this problem with eastlink n my router, whenever they changed the ip, my router was hanging on to the old one and i'd lose my connection.

7. Dural

Insert something witty

As of Wednesday we are reselling Lynksys wireless routing equipment in the dealers only. We support those customers only on a very limited bases and most of the problems will be transfered to the lynksys support line.

Here are some suggestions for your router(other percautions are required if it's wireless).

1) Change the default ip to 192.168.2.1
    - the ip subnet of 192.168.1.1 can interfer with some of our DNS servers but being PPPoE you shouldn't really have trouble with that.
    2) Watch the red alrt light on your modem
    - does it go out when it disconnects
    3) Does a direct computer connection do the same(disconnets?).

8. Krazy

Krazy
    [OP]
    3KGT'r

The Router is a Linksys model # BEFSR41 VER.3

The router connects fine... Works fine both computers, but it just disconnects sometimes... If I move the dot from
    Connect on Demand" Max Idle Time 1 Min.
    to
    Keep Alive: Redial Period 30,
    and then save the settings, the router connects to the modem again and dials up. When it disconnects I switch it back and it dials up again and is of for a while again... The connection stays on without disconnecting when just hooked up straight to the computer so it isn't a problem with Aliant other then they don't support routers :P. I've never understood that but oh well...

9. DJQ

DJQ

You do know that you still need a seperate login for each PC right? Aliant does not allow the same username to be connected twice at the same time :D

10. Dural

Insert something witty

I'm assuming that's measured in seconds?

11. melrhombus

Oh yes they do but they won't tell you that.....
    They don't have anything in place that detects or they just don't care....This is as of a cpl months ago in NB

12. melrhombus

What's the connection type though?

PPOE?
    DHCP?
    Static?

If it works for your PC then it will work for your router, just have to set it up properly

13. Bandit

I Miss Summer

Connection is PPOE
    Alliant Connection Is Dynamic with a long IP Lease time.
    Inside the "Lan" we are using dynamic ip,
    Router IP: 192.168.1.1
    2 Comps inside "lan": 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101

The router has a mac clone feature: i have it cloned to my MAC address, don't really know if that will make a difference but that is what the told me at linksys

If i took the DMZ and enables it and used either mine or Krazy's pc think that would keep the connection? it is actually using a computer like it is outside the router. That may enable it to keep the connection alittle longer.

Just curious does anyone know that the
    MTU feature is on a router?

Anyways just thought this info might help alittle in figureing out our problem

Later Ya'll

14. melrhombus

Depending on who you're with you might need to change you MTU but most places are good with the default setting. Just goole MTU and PPOE...you should see what I mean.

Also, if you're using a computer in the DMZ mode then throw your router out....you just defeated the whole point to a router and are basically using an expensive hub/switch.

You shouldn't need to clone you MAC address.....Only time I've heard of this being done is with those annoying cable modems from Rogers which actually remember the and register your NIC's MAC.....

I also use Aliant.....I'll I had to do was tell the router I was using PPOE, enter the password and account name, and everything worked fine.

15. Bandit

I Miss Summer

Problem fixed....new D-Link Router
    Fuck the nonsence of the old one :finger: