1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasonably Priced Used Ext/Crew Cab 4x4 Trucks...are unicorns

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Wayne, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

So I sold my old wagon as it served me no use, it couldn't really haul my trailer, nor launch a boat well, and wife is home of next 2-3 years so no need for two cars.

I have been looking for a reasonably reliable truck with back seat or full size SUV, must be 4x4. I don't want to spend more than $7500...and it's impossible to find. I will only use it about 5-7000kms a year so I am not overly concerned with mileage, more concerned with rust.

I was looking for a 99-06 GMC/Chev 1/2 ton, Avalanche, or Tahoe with the 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0 motors but my search is turning up empty except for rusted pits....

Anybody know any other specific year/model combos from other brands that are known to be pretty reliable? I do not want anything Ford with a 5.4 for sure, all horror stories.

I don't mind doing some repairs (sensors, brakes, common shit), or even spending some money getting things like rockers done but I want to avoid timing chain and manifold nightmares.

2. 17

teenage dirtbag

good luck

friend of mine just sold his pos 04 f150 with 220k and rusty cab corners for $7k and needs 1500-2k worth of front end work immediately

3. PirateSteve

Yeah agreed, that's a tight budget for something that isn't completely clapped out. I sold my 08 Tundra with 250 and some rust starting for 12.5k back in March

4. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Jesus, guess I'll wait, don't need it that bad right now.

5. Arod

There is a guy here buying up all well priced/solid pickups and shipping them down to the states to sell. I was trying to get one in the summer and gave up.

6. 17

teenage dirtbag

I’ve been slowly replacing some of our fleet and phasing out some, I sold one of our 2016 ram 4x4s in one day for $6k more than trade in value. I have another one coming up in the new year and will be 5 years old with bumps and dings and still worth like 18k. Truck prices are fuckin nutty right now

7. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Yeah, it's bonkers. Market is flooded with cheap Fords with the 5.4, but nobody wants those shit boxes. I really prefer a truck, but I don't need one, a large SUV with 4-5000 lbs towing ability will do the trick.

Found an 06 Honda Pilot EX-L V6/AWD and 200k locally for $5500 that might be worth looking at, but still holding out for awhile to see what might pop up.

8. 17

teenage dirtbag

nothing wrong with a 5.4. at this point the seized plugs probably arent an issue and the only other problems were cracked manifolds but those have probably been done too. my FIL ran one to 150k and traded it in and a friend of mine has a lifted brodozer platinum with 300k on it

also look for configurations that dont sell well, like XL/LS/WT trim regular cabs in 2 or 4wd. if its not your daily you can live without the extra interior space

Grifter likes this.
  9. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan for sale you should buy. Good for 3500lbs towing! No one in Seattle wants it because of the metric dash.

10. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

I need AWD/4x4 to haul my boat of the water most times.

As for the 5.4, all the research I've done has indicated I should run and not walk away from it. Likely just keep my eyes out for a 99-06 Sierra/Silverado/Avalanche/Tahoe/Yukon...

Yeah I don't need fancy features, and in no hurry, especially with covid and my wife due to deliver within 2-3 weeks.

11. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Ah, isn't this cute. Wayne is nesting.

Grifter likes this.
  12. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

The only way I know how....we did spend the last 6 months finishing renovations...so yeah, a whole lot of nesting going on. Ready for this boy to arrive.

Grifter likes this.
  13. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

yeah best bet is SUV and a sturdy trailer. Nothing better than having the same 8 foot box in a trailer that i tow thats only a foot off the ground, makes loading a breeze. Lots of SUV's that will tow. I would look at used q7 tdi's. they can be had plentiful under 10k and will tow 8k

14. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

I agree, and I have a great 5x10 trailer already...but sometimes it's nice to be able to run and pick up some shit without dragging that around.

A Q7 sounds a little too fancy as a beater, but something I'll keep an eye out for, don't know anything about them.

15. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Going to look at a 2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited tomorrow...got my list of things to check/look at.

Hoping everything looks good, could turn out to be a solid SUV for what I need. Older but reliable and generally easy to repair myself in the garage.

16. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Frame was great, ball joints good, 4wd all worked great...but it still needed time and money on various maintenance and minor repairs, which another time might work for me. No time, sadly had to pass. Had of been less intensive DIY repairs I would have bought for sure.

Grifter likes this.