Re; Homes - Gas tankless water heaters

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by David Puddy, Mar 16, 2019.

1. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Who's running one? There's a lot of quirks that can happen in a sub-par model like the "cold water sandwich" which i'm just learning exists.

Efficient they are, but at the cost that the water can take longer to get to the point of use or that you get the cold water sandwich.

Rheem's, Rinai, and Bosch seem to be the best of the manufacturer's. that fucking useless home show we just had at he Cunard centre didnt have anything on domestic water heating

2. 17

teenage dirtbag

I was going to go with one when I moved in since the water heater we had was 14 years old and I wanted to get ahead of a disaster and replace it. It seems that gas tankless is the way to go for colder climates, but i don’t have gas so I just went with a new tank unit.

3. Matt30

I can’t speak too much about the gas heaters, as i do not have a gas licence and personally do not have gas in my home so I’m not sure what costs to run are. But a few of my friends have them and their only complaint is you do gotta run the water for 10-15 seconds for it to reach temperature. Then there’s the maintenance and descaling costs.

Personally, if it’s a house you see yourself in for life I would invest in a high efficiency lifetime warranty electric hot water tank. The most you will ever spend on them is a couple $30 elements after 10-15 years of use. I have one and have installed many of the Rheem Marathon series. They’re awesome.

4. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Yeah people get so wet about saving on utility bills and cutting down on electricity that they forget the Gucci energy efficient systems going in don’t last forever and cost a lot.
    That’s what I’m trying to weigh out right now. The tankless is nice because it save s on size as well. I’m converting my basement into an apartment so its a nice space saver.
    I was thinking of running it as close to the main shower as posssible, as this is the only place that really matters that you want hot water really quickly, that would solve a bit of the lag problem.

5. Matt30

Also remember the main bathroom is generally far away from the kitchen. So you want things to be central because you need to get 120f water to your dishwasher for it to work properly

6. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

I am having a Rheem on demand system installed tomorrow. It also has an internal recirc pump that keeps the water hot right to the tap when not in use. We are upgrading because we will have 5 full bathrooms and thats a bit much for an 80 gallon tank.

I'll report back with my findings next week as I am out of town until tuesday.

7. Duggan

I had a Navien and it was nice unit, took care of 4 baths without issue. We had 12 guests at our place and the pressure dropped a bit but the temp stayed up.

8. MRA

MRA

That is a bit much

Dewie and v-mac like this.
  9. Duggan

I was trying to figure out where they all are. Do you have 2 in the basement Rob?

10. billybob

Yes 2 in the basement. One with a steam shower next to the gym and one in the 2 bedroom legal suite.

11. billybob

Maybe for you. For a 7 bedroom house, its fine for us.

12. billybob

Navien 200k BTU/h that replaced our 80 gal elec HWT. Pretty slick rig. Get hot water within a few seconds at all the taps and tubs I tried.

20190328_100213.jpg

13. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

nice rig; how many gpm is it? i'm trying to figure what i need for single dwelling plus additional apartment in the basement. i'm figuring the 9.8 gpm's are what i'm after, those seem to sit comfortable for around 3-4 baths

14. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

edit, just read up and saw what your call for hot water entails. I'm looking at the Rheem and Rinai brands, those seeem to be top of the line. Eccosmart is less Gucci but also a lot cheaper.
    I'm on the fence with these things yet. The outright cost vs. how often to replace them is what's getting me right now
    see, say every 10 years you replace your Elec HW tank and do so for 400-500 bucks ( that's waht it costs me to replace my 40 gal 2 years ago) now the gas tankless is costing between 1500-4000 to install and some of the Rinai models come with a 12 year warranty but theyre so new, that i'm not hearing on any testimonial of their longevity. so that's where i'm at. i'm sure they'll be savings.

15. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

LP or NG?

16. Duggan

Nice touch on the suite. What are you doing for separate heating, second furnace, heat pump, electric?

17. billybob

Natural Gas.

18. billybob

Electric. Should be able to get away with a certified electric fireplace to satisfy code.

Plus we will be installing smart controls in every room in the house in the next year or so.

19. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

whats warranty like on the Navien? Rinnai Rheem and Eccosmart all seem to be in the 10-12 yr

20. Duggan

That's alright and a fuck load cheaper than a second furnace.