Re°leaf My newest little project

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Gooch, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

I have been making rolling trays for friends and family and I have thought about maybe selling some.
    I posted the first prototype on here a number of months ago, but they have changed significantly. I know RC will give me an honest opinion on what they think and what they would be worth.
    They are made from Walnut and Birch and they do take a significant amount of time to make.
    They come with the following tools. Everyone's roll is different and these trays have you covered:
    2 - UV food safe glass containers. These have a chalk board top so you can write on them what strain is in it. The chalk pen comes with the tray
    1- Custom logo 3 level grinder with scraper
    1- poker stick
    1- Surgical grade stainless steel scissors
    1-plastic scrapper card / Business card
    1- pack of the best papers (Canadian Lumber 1-1/4")
    1-USB lighter (comes with charger)

The tray is coated in a 100% organic bees wax and has a felt bottom. All items are held down by magnets so the tray does not need to be horizontal.

This is Re°leaf
    Enjoy the roll

20200109_194937_resized.jpg

20200109_184605_resized.jpg

20200109_184649_resized.jpg

20200109_184445_resized.jpg

20200109_184800_resized.jpg

I made a bunch of Christmas gifts for a friend at SKOSHA cannabis and put their logo on them

20191117_203447_resized.jpg

What does RC think? Could these sell for $150, $160, $180?

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Looks pretty cool! I don't know how I'd assign a value to something like that.. being handmade obviously it's worth more than usual. Is it something you'd keep making yourself or is the plan to have them mass produced at some point?

One thought.. take it for what it's worth.. could you put the releaf logo on the tray itself and not on the gear? I feel like it'd look cleaner. Just a thought!

offtopic - <3 SKOSHA

Grifter likes this.
  3. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

It would be too hard to mass produce. BUT, my thought was if the demand got to great I could get retired individuals with small home work shops to make the blanks for me. I would teach them how and provide the templates/jigs. I coined this "Crowd Source Manufacturing". This also provides a great brand story as well. Potentially your grandfather had a hand in making your rolling tray.

Hoping to get SKOSHA here in NL soon

Boots likes this.
  4. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

Also,
    Putting the logo on the wood is a huge pain in the ass :)

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I like it!

They are the best producer imo :o

6. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah I figured that would add work.

7. dpwu32

Trash elf

Beautiful work.

I’m not a smoker, so can’t comment/help much by way of improvements/etc.

Where/how are you planning to sell them? If online, let me know if I can help. I’ve sold on most platforms, and have access to a variety of shipping options in both Canada and the US.

Gooch likes this.
  8. Duggan

Would it look good as a branded logo, or too much potential to fuck up the wood?

9. Wayne

Looks fantastic, price seems fair to me. Etsy shoppers wouldn't blink an eye at the price tbh.

10. Wayne

Not shitting on your idea, because it's fantastic approach, but I've seen at least two products on Shark Tank where they did the same thing. Basically had retired seniors working for decent pay sewing certain patterns and pieces they needed for their brands. Not sure if they coined a term to it though haha.

11. Grifter

Bluh?

Craftsmanship is amazing. Without a doubt high grade, professional work.

But am I the only one that just.... "Doesn't get it?".

Can hands down respect what you've crafted. It's very high quality work. Just don't see the appeal?

I could be alone in this, but for your awareness, maybe it's more of a niche market? I don't partake in cannabis at all. To me, it's still a "drug" and cant process how it became "legal". I personally have zero interest in anything to do with it.

That being said, I think you've crafted something amazing and the price point you've suggested seems fair to me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Pretty everyone still thinks cannabis is a "drug" :rofl:

13. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

Well i guess if you do not smoke cannabis i would not expect you to use it. It is a rolling tray, what do you not "get".

14. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

No doubt. This would be a good fit for all the older guys with work shops that want to tinker and get paid for it. Who knows. If there is no demand there will be no need to get others involved haha

15. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

A branding would be an easier method for sure. I was planning to look into a wood brand

16. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

Man thank you! I will definitely take you up on that because i have no clue when it comes to that stuff.

dpwu32 likes this.
  17. Lex Lucas

feels good.

I personally wouldn't buy something like this at that price point, and potentially any price point.
    You are limiting storage/use to a specific amount, and would require someone to have another bin to keep other product, accessories, etc. so it doesn't really solve the storage problem as an all-in-one.
    This is more of a gifting/art/show piece product and I think many people would not have this out displayed on a shelf due to the stigma still associated with cannabis and for adults with youth in the house, regardless of price.

Awesome craftsmanship and appreciate the work that went into it, but my $3 Ikea bin with tray top is more practical.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Grifter likes this.
  18. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

It’s a drug that became legal because it has a lot of benefits for people and isn’t dangerous - arguably less dangerous than alcohol.

The “all drugs are bad” thing is a manufactured story. I’m not saying you need to rush out and buy some pot to try but being against cannabis legalization just because it is a drug is mis-informed.

chainsaw and Boots like this.
  19. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

Yeah definitely not for everyone

20. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Gooch- what was the feedback from the company you already worked with. I would guess you might get more feedback from cannabis retailers than general folks on RC. Around where I live, there are a huge variety of cannabis stores - some are more classy than others and this looks like something I would find in a nicer store and likely to be a purchase either made as a gift or as a display piece.

Maybe also go to some craft fairs to see what similar items sell for? Most fairs I’ve been to always have one or two booths with some old dude selling similarly sized and complexity woodworking projects - starts with the everyday end grain cutting board and goes up from there.

Looks nice! I’m just getting back into my own woodworking but feeling like a beginner as I’ve had to downsize from all my larger power tools to mostly working with just hand tools.

Gooch likes this.
  21. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

They all loved them and there are some things going on with that.
    I am thinking about selling at the local farmers market as well in the spring

22. Grifter

Bluh?

I'll pass. Thanks. Ive tried pot in my youth, didn't like the effects. Just not for me. Didn't say it has no benefits for those that chose to use it. Just stated I just don't get the appeal of cannabis.
    I can understand the appeal of thc oils and whatnot, but smoking it isn't something I "get".

Just my opinion is all.

23. Grifter

Bluh?

In YOUR opinion.

24. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

Do you drink alcohol at all?

Grifter likes this.
  25. chainsaw

That looks great man. A guy I work with makes and sells cutting boards, charcuterie boards etc Ones he makes out of hardwoods and epoxy he charges $130-$200 Ones that are just wood he charges $80-$100. I think the price range you are showing is really fair. The guy I work with went to a christmas market at a bouldering place / climbing gym here in the city and sold out of his stuff really fast, even he was surprised (don't know if the market for rolling trays would be the same). On another note are you using a CNC or a hand router? And I assume some sort of laser cutter for the letters and logo on your display stand?

Gooch likes this.
  26. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

Everything is by hand. Hand router for all the cut outs.
    The display stand logo i did with a scroll saw and a bit of patience.
    I

chainsaw likes this.
  27. chainsaw

Damn man, nice work

28. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Hey, GrifterGrifter - I'm just reacting to your comment that because it is a drug, it shouldn't be legal.
    I’d consider getting in touch with some of the nicer Cannabis shops in the States and talking to them. If you've never had a chance to visit them, it is very impressive. I can give you a list of the ones in my neighborhood alone that would probably love to have something like this on their shelves.

29. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Whoops - two posts got smooshed together.

GrifterGrifter - Not looking to argue. I've just found the main argument against legalizing cannibis is rooted in fear not logic or science - I shouldn't put that on you.

Grifter likes this.
  30. Grifter

Bluh?

No, I get that. Wasn't looking to argue either. And I respect your stance. Just didn't want mine to not be respected either. :lol:

31. Grifter

Bluh?

Yes. I can see where you're going with this... Comparing pot to alcohol is apples and oranges. Not many benefits to booze, and pot gave me odd feelings and side affects and I don't like how it altered my state so rapidly and drastically. So, I will never say I believe it should have been legalized. I was just fine with medicinal marijuana. I have admitted that I am aware of the health benefits of cannabis oils or THC or whatever it's called. That's my stance.

Regardless we could sit and argue about pot all day. I am entitled to my stance on it. Just as you are yours. Doesn't mean we have to agree. Like being conservative when it comes to politics here, clearly being negative on pot is another losing standpoint! :lol: :lol:

You asked for opinions on your legitimately well crafted work, I cast my opinion that while beautiful and very well made, I just don't get it. Assuming this is a venture you are undertaking, it is HIGHLY likely I'm not the first person you'll encounter with a viewpoint like this! :lol:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  32. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

I was not looking for an argument. I was just curious.
    I have gone months sometimes years between having marijuana. I get it is not for everyone and i get it can not be for some people at certain times.
    I have found booze in general effects me much more negatively physically than pot. It is a poison, just taken in low dose it plays with your head rather than killing you haha

Grifter likes this.
  33. Grifter

Bluh?

Absolutely man. If my reply came across as argument like... Not how I intended it. Just debating like you.

Sounds like booze and you are like pot and me? Not good bedfellows.

34. Gooch

Gooch
    [OP]

For something like this tray, would Etsy be the best selling platform? Which have you used?
    In your experience, what is the cheapest way to ship this size in North America?

35. PirateSteve

As somebody who also ships and receives a ton of product, don't go with cheapest. If you are doing e commerce offer as many shipping options as possible. Let your customer decide how much they want to spend. That said Canada Post Small Business Acct is likely your most cost effective method. They have a few different service levels.