RC Shooty shooty bang bang club

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Arod, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Arod

Arod
    [OP]

I am looking at buying an AR15 style rifle for some range fun. I have a decent amount of experience with the Colt C7 which is why I am looking into AR's. Right now I really like the look and reviews of the Springfield Saint.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/saint/

I don't think I would be disappointed with this rifle, just want to put this out there to see if anyone as experience with other AR's?

2. Grifter

Bluh?

Dead set on that platform or more in general looking for tactical/semi auto plinking fun?
    Caliber preference?

3. Arod

Arod
    [OP]

Pretty dead set on the platform. Just the familiarity with the components/maintenance and operation. I am fairly confident if I run into any firing issues with an AR I can resolve it on the fly.

4. Grifter

Bluh?

I was going to recommend the Ruger PC carbine.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/113501

But if you're dead set on the platform,

https://ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html

Or

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii-or-10-rounds

Both are great civilian variants with 10 round magazines.

Ruger will be better for part availability in Canada, Smith and Wesson will offer more "upgrade ability" for ordering add on's.

But for a fun gun to shoot at a range that's unique and going to get some looks, that pc carbine is awesome. It's a takedown rifle, great for portability, and it's 9mm. So you can shoot it all day. Offers a picatinny rail for scopes and under barrel accessories and is very easy to learn and adjust to. If I were still on the island, I'd offer to meet up and take you out to try it. But man, I can't recommend it enough.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  5. Arod

Arod
    [OP]

6. Grifter

Bluh?

Hahaha, now your just being rediculous!

But I'd for sure go pew pew with that!

7. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

I don't have any experience with the Springfield.

On others, I can say the S&W M&P 15 Sport 2 is excellent bang for your buck at less than $800... I'm probably pushing 1000 rounds with mine and I have no complaints..

Get one while you still can. Everyone with a Restricted PAL (or thinking about getting one) should grab one.

8. Arod

Arod
    [OP]

I have a friend with the S&W and loves it. They seem hard to come buy though.

tribeachpunk likes this.
  9. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I still don't understand shooting for fun (tramping on the fun here a bit). The AR-15 is the #1 gun used for mass shootings in the US - I wish it would get banned globally.

10. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

It would only be replaced by something else.

Grifter likes this.
  11. Grifter

Bluh?

I find it a good way de-stress, blow of some steam. Also, I hunt, and one needs to keep up on their shooting skills to put down an animal effectively and humanely. So, I hit the range. Also, when I hunt, they are strapped to my quad a lot and get jostled around. So it's important to make sure they remain sighted in properly to maintain accuracy.

I will never purchase an AR-15, cause I don't really need that to hunt. But, then again, a 9mm carbine is also just for the range, never gonna see myself taking that on a hunt.

My .22s are great for rabbits, and birds. But I also have a lot of fun with them at the range just plinking the steel plates, and keeping them sighted.

I mean, you're really into biking right? While I know it's a great way to stay in shape, I don't get it. I would way sooner go for a hike or something.

But, to each is own right?

Your argument about the AR-15 being the most used gun in mass shootings, yeah.... You're right. But that's like saying pitbulls are the dogs most linked to attacks on humans... True, but really holds no weight.
    Cause you know what? They ban that gun or breed, the one that was in second place just becomes number one. Eventually we'd whittle it down to fucking muskets and poodles.

It's not the guns. Guns are just tools. It's the idiot that's holding the trigger we need to be looking at.

Capiche?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  12. Arod

Arod
    [OP]

Historically hand guns are the most common weapon used in mass shootings. The AR15 is a platform and is currently commonly used because its popular in the media, and simple but there is nothing special about it. If you ban all of those styles of the AR platform, gas operated, air cooled, magazine fed rifles (there are hundreds of variants) there will still be hundreds of other semi auto weapons to take their place. After firing a lot at full auto recently I completely get why no one needs to own an automatic rifle though. Also, 3x more people are killed by cars than guns in the united states per year and out of those killed by guns semi auto rifles make up a very small percentage.

boing likes this.
  13. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

They are hard to come by at the moment like most other sub-$1000 AR-type rifles are at the moment...
    Liberals may have had plans to ban the rifle a few months back. After attention was drawn to the potential for such a ban, Canadians bought about 20000 units in a little more than a week, and ran most stores including the one I work at right out of stock.
    The ban didn't happen and things are getting back to normal but no S&W yet. We may just have DPMS Oracle rifles in our AR dept today, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure they'll keep beating the ban drum and eventually they'll get their way and all of the gun crime the cities have will remain...
    Not sure who they'll blame then but it won't be the people who legally own or owned registered rifles....
    I say own or owned because a ban could have existing owners grandfathered, so if you got it, you can keep it...
    OR the ban will involve a "buy back" where the government will spend a billion tax payer dollars "buying back" rifles that simply are not used for crime in Canada..

Grifter likes this.
  14. Arod

Arod
    [OP]

I might have to take a run over some day.