Rally fun C&C

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Jenn, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spender

i like number 3 the best. i think they would all look better if they werent so centered though

3. Squashtowner

herp derp

HAH I know that yellow/red impreza.

4. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

they're all a bit underexposed, except for number 2 which also happens to be the best of this set. remember that you typically have to dial in some +ev if you're in a program mode when presented with a snowy scene the amount of if you have to at all will vary based on the light while shooting as well as where its coming from. :)
    composition wise 3 is decent but could use a crop to get them out of the centre of the frame. kill some from the right side and the bottom, preferably you'd zoom in tighter while shooting to get just them and that awesome pile of snow flying around, but in this case a slight crop (maintaining the aspect ratio of course-i made that mistake when i started out)won't really hurt and it will give it more impact.
    same goes for 4 the car facing one way nearly out of the frame with all that dead space the other way feels awkward. 5 is also a good shot just too loose and as well has the dead space on the 'wrong' side of the frame. again a crop here will fix things up and give you lots more impact.
    While 1 might be interesting for race fans...and i KNOW that is the intended audience here-for a general viewer it isn't overly compelling. 1 because it's the back of the car so there is no driver to look at/draw attention, 2 because the shutter speed is a bit fast...if there was really good blur in the wheels and some panning, it'd convey a sense of motion and excitement a lot better. I like the pylon placement in the frame if that was intentional, but noooot sooooo much the people standing there. if there were a lot more of them it'd feel more natural, or none at all i spose. I was always pretty free to roam wherever I wanted at these events so long as i signed a waiver-but I'm not sure if that's changed and you couldn't really control it.
    2 is great. composition is good, there is a huge sense of motion and excitement-snow flying everywhere and lots of motion in the wheels.
    3 has some decent motion going on..but as mentioned above is a bit underexposed and a bit loose.
    4 is awesome for motion and excitement...just again a smidge under and too loose get in there are force that motion on the viewer, let them see the smaller details better rather than the empty space. :) it's hard at first and you'll miss a few but start practicing it. Shoot a couple loose if you want and crop later if needed till you're more comfortable with it. :)

Beyond that...they all(again except for #2) could use a bit of punch from a slight contrast/curves adjustment. Lots of punch and impact ftw. I wish i knew then what I know now when i was shooting these kinds of things. I was actually contemplating heading out there today, but the snow quickly changed my mind.
    Seeing as this is your second attempt you faired very well, and if you take the feedback positively instead of just getting angry at me you have the potential to capture some really cool stuff.
    As far as having the subjects placed at maybe not the best places in the frame...i'm wondering what is causing it...how are you focusing? Could be a very simple fix. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  5. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

btw...i liked a few you posted on arms more than some of these!!

6. Jenn

Jenn
    [OP]
    Left Shark

Thanks for the tip! I haven't used the EV yet, so I will give this a try.

I'll give this a try.

The reason he's at that side of the frame is that he was heading to the blank side, just a little sideways while doing it. haha Anyway, part of it I guess is trying to snap these action shots quick enough, so a crop may be the only way to recompose it.

Everywhere I looked there were photogs yesterday, that's who they were. Almost all shots would have had them in them. :(

Thanks.

Thanks. :) I think part of this is I have zero idea how to post process. Most of these are practically right out of the camera with no major change. I could sure use help in that department. And focus I had as the centre point, that might be the issue. What I started to do though was focus then recompose, but it's difficult with a car flying. Any tips for focusing in this situation?

Which ones, out of curiousity?