Races, Marathons and Other Active Things

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Daver, Feb 9, 2013.

1. hank

Co-worker was just in my office complaining about this event. Apparently there is some construction going on and they've changed the legs around last minute. He was having trouble getting the specifics

2. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I don't know why they'd be complaining - not much that can be doing. I believe it's leg 11 (French Mountain). I haven't seen the specifics, but the entire road is ripped up.

3. hank

It was the lack of communication that he was complaining about.

4. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

If he's complaining about that, he wont like the Relay. It's a lot of "fly by the seat of your pants" type atmosphere. Extremely well organized, but lots of changes with an event like that all the time.

5. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Although, I had to search on Facebook to find details. Nothing was sent out to captains that I saw. One leg will be a lot easier and one will be a lot harder now. Fun!

6. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Cabot Trail was amazing as usual. If you ever get a chance, just do it. If you're not sure you could do a leg, train a bit harder to get there - completely worth it.

I did leg 1 and it was painful as hell. I tore my left calf playing basketball about 5 years ago and it flares up and gives me some grief once in a while. It happened on my last training run Wednesday before the run and didn't have time to completely recover. I did a short jog to warm up before my leg and could tell it was going to be tough. The first 5k, I tried to hold back and ran about a 5:30/km pace. It hurt and I started overcompensating with my right leg so it started hurting, too. For the next couple of kilometers, I tried to get it stretched out and feeling better. At one point, I did one of those "hop steps" as it really hurt and dropped to a walk. St. John's Ambulance was beside me at that moment and stopped to ask if I was going to be OK. I grinned through it and got running again. Around 9k in, things started to feel better so I upped the pace a fair bit, starting to get my pace down around 4:40/km. That was overkill and I hit a wall around 15km. I dropped to a walk and the runner behind me slowed down, put there hand on my back and told me to keep going. Not sure what would have happened had she not done that, but it was enough. I knew I was the first leg and had the rest of the weekend to recover so gritted my teeth and got moving. I dont think my last 2k were all that fast, but I made it through. 38th/69 runners with a 5:13/km pace.

All done!

Sublime likes this.
  7. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Oh, our team finished 29th overall. Quite impressive especially considering we were down as far as 40th heading into the night legs. Our best runner finished in 9th. Pretty amazing and goes to show the calibre of runner attracted to the event. His final pace was 4:01/km and he only took 9th.

Sublime likes this.
  8. hank

Dealing with achilles tendinitis so I haven't been running much lately but I had signed up for the MEC race 3 half marathon so I ran that this morning. Hot as balls and a little rough on the ankle but finished it under my 2 hour goal

HairyAss likes this.
  9. Sublime

Mmm limey

Anybody doing any of the Epic Canadian events tomorrow or Saturday? I'm running the 5 tomorrow morning.

10. hank

Not participating this year. It's a good event though. Have fun!

11. hank

Time to bring this thread back... Anyone else training for spring races? I recently joined a development group with a coach, hoping to break out some pb's this year.

Signed up for the MEC race series (1 down 4 to go) and Epic Canadian 10k so far. Planning to do a half marathon in May, either Fredericton or the Bluenose.

12. Daliah

I'm running my first marathon at the Bluenose. McLaughlin 4 miler is in my books for May as well. I'm considering running something in Epic this year. I've never ran any of his races. I missed the first MEC race but hoping to make the rest of them.

HairyAss and hank like this.
  13. hank

Awesome! I am aiming for a full either in the fall or next spring depending on how training goes. Hoping to stay injury free this year :x:

14. Daliah

I consider a fall full but wasn't sure I wanted to be training through summer. Although my long runs yesterday and last Sunday made me second guess my thinking :lol:

15. hank

I imagine. I only had 15k runs but people training for the full were running 35's :lol:

16. Daliah

I had 19.2k last Sunday and 21.1 yesterday. Not pleasant but beats running those distances on the treadmill!

17. hank

Anyday! Not a fan of long treadmill runs

Daliah likes this.
  18. Daliah

Me neither! 5k is bearable :lol:

19. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Thanks for reviving the thread, Hank!

I haven't signed up for any races this year yet. I've decided I need to stop my cycle of "train until I'm injured". I'm still running a few times a week (5-8k a run), but have added in Core Training and Yoga a ton to really get my core tightened up and my flexibility up. I'm hoping that by mid-summer I'll be in a better place and will maybe target a fall race. Even with only the short runs I've been doing, I've been getting shin splints a bunch, which I know is from my under-trained core and flexibility so it's a good time to make my focus. I'm also about 10-15 lbs over weight at the moment...

20. hank

I've been getting some yoga in as well. It really seems to help with mobility issues!

I was ~15lbs over in January, down around 7 and hoping to have the rest off in the next month or so as training ramps up.

21. hank

Signed up for the Fredericton Half. Training is going well... getting to the 50+km weeks now :bigup:

22. hank

Down ~13lbs from January. Hoping to shed a few more over the coming weeks.

23. Mister Mopar

My son and I are signed up for the Bluenose 5k. He's 11, but didn't want to do the 'youth' run.:shrug2:.
    I haven't signed up for the 10k the next morning yet. Gonna wait to see how I feel a little closer....

24. hank

Ran the Fredericton Half on the weekend. Finished just under 1:45 which was right on target with my goal and a PB.

Almost dropped out due to a head cold so very happy with my results. Running the Bluenose 10k this weekend but not planning to race hard since I'm still hurting from Fredericton :lol:

Heather and Daliah like this.
  25. hank

Bluenose was a great event as usual. Didn't push too hard but came out with a 47:27 on the 10k. More than happy with the results.

HairyAss likes this.
  26. hank

Last big race of the year for me today. Ran the Valley half in 1:39 (pb). Had a race plan for 1:35 but hit a wall around 15k and limped in from there.

Cracker likes this.
  27. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

1:39 is still awesome - great job!

hank likes this.
  28. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Looking at a first 1/2 marathon in quite a while for December. I've been fighting plantar fasciitis again over the last while, but really just want a goal race to go for.

29. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

ive been trying to ride my bike on zwift like 75 miles a week. usually get around 60 between working and life getting in the way

i think id be better off getting up eariler and riding it in the mornings

30. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

BeakerBeaker - You should try sufferlandria videos - I found they kept my attention more than Zwift, but also nice to just have different workouts on the bike to keep you interested.

31. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

ive been doing workout programs on zwift so i like that for now. ill google those videos now though.

*ill download it and give it a try today. looks fun.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  32. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

To be honest, I haven't tried Zwift since they were in beta so didn't even know they had workout programs - cool. The Sufferlandria videos are pretty intense; great workout.

33. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

in realty im looking for like a hour long workout, some high intensity but motivates me to race kinda thing.

i liked zwift for the fact i could race people on the screen but its not as good as you would think? i think the two would be an awesome resource if used together.

im gonna try sufferfest out today. see if i like it.