1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about tech for small business

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Matt30, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

I know there’s some small business owners here, and some business savvy tech people. So I thought I’d look for some advice.

I’m in the process of setting up a small service business. Just me and some tools goin around fixin things. Nothing crazy.

I see a lot of different ads for stuff to help small business owners reach more customers, or this program can help you manage your books, or this thing helps you do quotes…..basically it seems whatever part of having a business needs, “there’s an app for that” as the saying goes.

i personally am not very tech savvy but i can learn to use programs that I need to. So I’ll put the question out there to you guys. Is there any one program, app, website, or anything you can think of that would be beneficial for a one man operation like myself? Or really, just some business advice in general would be appreciated.

2. PirateSteve

You don't need any fancy apps or spend a lot of money on advertising for a small business like that. Just be reliable and do good work. Word of mouth or maybe a Kijiji ad will get you started. If you do a good job you'll be as busy as you want to be.

I have a simple website, FB and IG pages, and Google listing. The website is basically a sign post, has all the details and contacts but does not get many changes. Has a contact form that is used quite a bit. The Google listing gets a lot of traffic and has all the basic contact info and some pics. FB and IG are just used for posting the odd pic of what we are up to.

I use QuickBooks for accounting, payroll, and inventory. I do all my bookkeeping and have an accountant for year end. I can't stress enough how important it is to stay on top of your books. You'll learn more from watching the money go in and out then any other one thing.

David Puddy and Matt30 like this.
  3. Lex Lucas

feels good.

Quickbooks Online as your accounting package, you'll be able to generate and send invoices from there as well (or Freshbooks might work for you as well although I don't have much experience with it).
    Dext for expense and mileage tracking, this will integrate with Quickbook Online as well

Will you be setting the business up as a sole proprietor or corporation?

Matt30 likes this.
  4. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

Thanks guys!

I have a meeting with a small business accountant in May to give me an opportunity to ask some questions. This is a question I’m going to ask as I don’t really know the tax implications of one or the other. From the information I’ve read I’m thinking it will just be sole proprietorship, as my goal is to remain a 1 man operation. But if the industry keeps this pace for years going forward, I may pretty much be forced to hire crew. So who knows ?

5. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Just going to point out that proprieter means owner. You can be a sole proprietership with employees. :)

Matt30 and Wayne like this.
  6. PirateSteve

The biggest difference between sole and corp will be liability. The corp will give you and your personal assets a level of protection if you ever have any legal issues.

RoryTate and Matt30 like this.
  7. Lex Lucas

feels good.

Tax is a big reason as well. All depends on what your plans are for the business and if you are going to be keeping any cash/investing in the business. There are lots of different things you can do with corporations.

8. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

I don’t envision or aspire becoming a big operation. Goal is to stay small, generate enough of a client base to pay my bills and go from there

9. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

This is solid, thank you