1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about a fine

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by shawnmcw, Oct 9, 2004.

1. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

not sure if this is the right place to post this but i figured it is a driving ticket ;)

just got a 168$ ticket for squawking my tires, was coming into a mall parking lot at the time and was going well bellow 20km/h but got an "unnecesary noise" ticket. :cry:

what i'm wondering is if i'll be loosing any points and if it will have any effect on my insurance :confused: , i have no prior tickets for the last 5 years.

btw, i'm in new-brunswick if it makes any diference

Thanks for any info

2. bossman

What mall did this happen at ???

Did he give it to you for tires or loud exhaust ???

Im not sure if you do lose a point or not

3. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

for tires, squawked a little when i went into 2nd, happened in a little hick town called shippagan where the cops have to pad their records a little to make themselves look useful :pissed:

4. bossman

you might lose 1-2-3 points depending on what he put it under

As for insurance it shouldnt affect it since your record has been clean for 5 years and that it is not a speeding incident

5. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

according to the ticket the exact wording of what i am charged with is making unnecesary noise with my tires.

btw, thanks for the info, it's apreciated :)

so you don't think it should effect my insurance?
    other than actually calling up my insurance company, is there any way i could find out for sure, or is calling up my insurance company the only way?

6. Tony

Think Happy Thoughts!

Take it to court & tell the judge yout foot slipped of the clutch after you down shifted to second! no biggy

7. bossman

I wouldnt call them up

just check your next insurance renewal if it goes up call them and ask them why it went up

They might say oh you got a fine, or just say it went up a bit thats tha safe way

8. bossman

I know where he got caught and that wont work

like he said its a hick ville and they bust people for squeeling tires

Judge wont let him out trust me

9. AcidGord

Gotta love that ticket. Thats what they threatened us with in truro when we were having an Autocross there. Uhhm. :)

10. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

Would have been worth a shot if :

1 --- i hadn't reved the engine a little :crazy:
    2 --- i didn't live in this little hick ville :lol:

good advice for the insurance too, think that's what i'll do since it only renews next september :)

11. bossman

I got caught for "not doing a stop sign" it was very debatable

I had a cross guard guy witness that I had done my stop. THe cop told me it wouldnt affect my insurance and blah blah

I decided to pay the 84$ fine because i have green tinted windows and if i was to push it to court they would target me so i said fuck it

My record was clean for 5 years and the insurance went down even with that ticket

12. Foster

Toolboard

so you were just turning into the parking lot and your tires squeeled? going under 20 km/h???

13. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

moded civic with JDM b18c type r and LSD tranny with tires that i'd like to be a little stickier than they are, specially at the moment :ugh:

14. Foster

Toolboard

I think you answered solved why you were pulled over...it sucks but I dont think you will lose points for a noice fine...of course the fine seems a little high for excessive noise..

15. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

the reason for the high amount is that earlier this year the same fine would have been 82$ but, since Lord needs more pocket money, they doubled all the files

minimum fine now, even for speeding, is 168$.

not sure if i should go to court and see if i could get it lowered due to excessive amount for such a little bylaw, plus it was the middle of the day.

16. bossman

It wont matter one bit

If they heard your tires squeel he has the right to fine you

And by you driving a modded Civic just answered the question as to why you were pulled over. im sure you have a performance exhaust and are lucky he didnt give you something for that also.

Id pay the fine so that they dont start targeting you and giving you shit all the time like I had a year ago with the cops in Moncton because of my underglows

17. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

one thing that annoys me about this too is that she told me there were no exceptions for this at the moment due to kids making noise in the area at night yet you could drive up an down mainstreet here from ~1AM to 5AM and, at most, see 1 cop if any. :wtf:

why should i have to pay because of them not going after the real cause of the problem because they are at home sleeping or at tim's gorging themselves on boston cream all night? :pissed:

18. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

they could try my exaust all they want, it is highflow, but it is also 100% street legal all over canada and the states. it's one of the first things i checked before i got the exaust 8) . so :finger: to that cop 8)

19. bossman

Does it emit noise ???

if so its not legal, and plus in NB you cannot do any exhaust modification

so if its not stock its illegal :S

20. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

good grief, this is worse than russia then, i mean as long as the sound is within reason

mine has a very low rumble type sound at idle that is barely more than stock and only get's loud at high RPM like 6000+

i figure that is reasonable sound output

what i read is that as long as it wasn't above a certain decibel point at idle and at highway speeds you were ok, they may have changed that to make more $$$ though :confused:

21. Halapine

Resident frenchy

To answer your question for the insurance part considering i work for an insurance company in moncton.
    Speeding tickets wont affect your record if you only have one and you have a good 6 years clean driving, more then that they will screw you up and right.
    For the squeeling tires part, it all depends how the officer rates it on your driving record, if it wreckless drving or something close to that brace your self. But i've never seen a motor veh report with squeeling tires on it so i couldnt tell you how its classified so to me it would be a minor offence same as a speeding ticket.
    You can call your insurance and find out what kind of incidents will affect your policy and how they classify them, just dont clarigy that you got a ticket for it, just let em find out if they check your driving record wich in general they will check every 2 years or so now. And if under 25 most companies will be checking on a yearly basis now.

22. bossman

what insurance company you work for Halapine ???

you can PM me if you want

I wanna get a quote from another company :)

23. Foster

Toolboard

thats not true...tires squeelin isn't excessive noise...especially if he was just slowing down and turning..I can see if he was taking off or shifting...

Your basically saying if the guy infront of you slams on his breaks and you do to and your tires squeel you can get a ticket!

24. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

thanks for the info halapine, will try to contact them monday to see if i can get some info

is there any way i can tell from what is on the ticket how the offence was rated, as in minor and such?

the reason given on the ticket was making unnecesary noise with tires.

25. bossman

AS a matter of fact I am right

Ask any local RCMP officer, per my 2 uncles, if you squeel tires in a forward movement it is against the law. If you were to leave tracks on the pavement it could be classified as a 168$ fine for the noise, and 168 fine per foot that is marked on the pavement

they dont fuck around with that shit

26. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

don't get me wrong, i have nothing against cops as a whole, some of my own family are city and rcmp and i even applied myself to join the rcmp, but it seems like around here when there is anything going on that they really should stop they are nowhere to be found nor contacted :pissed:

like i stated in one of the above posts i did, some people really do squeel their tires late at night at the same mall parking lot but the cops are nowhere to be found but if i dare do a 0.5 second squawk with my tire in the middle of the afternoon i get a ticket. :crazy:

i would think that it's more harmful to make that type of noise at 1AM when there are houses around with people trying to sleep than at 4:30 in the afternoon. that's my real anoyance at this ticket. :bigthumb:

27. bossman

I haer ya

Had to call the RCMP in the Moncton area 4 and a half hours later and 3 calls i went to bed

never showed up

They have to do what they have to do i guess, sucks for you though

28. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

my worst story about trying to get them to do something is one time a budy and me were driving back home from moncton this summer. right around shediac we came up behind a van that was swerving all over the road and throwing cans out the window, it didn't take a genius to realize the guy was drunk and wasn't throwing out pepsi cans.

i didn't dare pass the guy with the way he was swerving so i kept my distance behind him :yikes:

we called the cops who told us they were sending someone right away to stop the guy

well 4 calls, 3 hours and 2 near misses later(including one that would have involved a tractortrailor rig) the miramichi regional police finally stopped the guy :tantrum:

29. bossman

Thats not right at all

30. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

not right by a longshot, but i'm sad to say it happened :pissed:

that's why i've been less and less impressed with the RCMP because i used to think it was just about this neck of the hickville but it happened on the way back from moncton

shediac rcmp --- nothing
    bouctouche rcmp --- nothing
    and all the way down till the miramichi cops stopped him. worst thing is that the one that did stop him wasn't even rcmp, makes me wonder if we weren't better off with just city police and such :shrug:

31. Scott

rawr

Like i said, go to court, tell them your foot slipped off the clutch a bit, or you let up to quick and accidently gave a squak. You wernt trying to show off or anything. Pure accident. They can tell you to pound sand or they can make you pay the fine. Cant hurt to try.

32. bossman

He can try but the law says that any forward moving vehicule that emits noise from the excess of power to the tires is a fine

I was just talkign to my both uncles earlier this week about that

33. shawnmcw

shawnmcw
    [OP]
    no i am not a noob

never hurts to try i guess, might get off the hook or lowered fine or be told to pay it as is but i think i will try anyway

hmmm! wonder if i bring them coffe and donuts from tims with help my case, probably end up with double the fine for being a smart-ass :lol:

34. Scott

rawr

Oh i agree, the law is the law, however it cant hurt to try.

35. Halapine

Resident frenchy

We are closed on monday, but i will check in my book at work, likei said i,ve never seen that offence on a MVR before. But i know we dont look at seatbelt ones, registration, stop signs and such .. but every insurance company is different. But like i said i'll look into it, and even ask our underwritters.

And Bossman i work for allstate, i can get you a quote pending your records and such :P