The More You Know: Public alerting tests to take place during Emergency Preparedness Week

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Apr 30, 2018.

1. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-tele...place-during-emergency-preparedness-week.html

News release
    On May 7 and May 9, 2018, test alerts will be distributed in Canada on compatible mobile devices and on television and radio

April 30th, 2018 – Ottawa-Gatineau – Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)

Wireless and broadcasting service providers will conduct a nationwide public alerting test during Emergency Preparedness Week, which is from May 6 to 12. During this process, every compatible mobile device connected to an LTE (long-term evolution) network in the targeted provinces and territory will receive the test alert. These will also be distributed on television and radio in the same regions.

Since April 6, 2018, all wireless service providers must distribute public emergency alert messages on their LTE networks. The public alerting tests are an opportunity for Canadians to become familiar with how public alert messages will be delivered to their mobile devices, including the tone and vibration cadence that will distinguish them from regular text messages.

The alert messages will be identified as tests and will not require Canadians to take steps to secure their safety.

The tests will be carried out according to the following schedule:

May 7th
    • Ontario 1:55 PM (EDT)
    • Quebec 9:55 AM (EDT)
    May 9th
    • Yukon 1:30 PM (PST)
    • Northwest Territories 1:55 PM (MDT)
    • Alberta 1:55 PM (MDT)
    • British-Colombia 1:55 PM (PDT)
    • Saskatchewan 1:55 PM (CST)
    • Manitoba 1:55 PM (CDT)
    • Newfoundland & Labrador 1:55 PM (NDT)
    • Nova Scotia 1:55 PM (ADT)
    • Prince Edward Island 1:55 PM (ADT)
    • New-Brunswick 6:55 PM (ADT)
    To learn more about test alerts and to find out if a cellphone is capable of receiving emergency alerts, Canadians can visit Alert Ready.

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Ooo fancy

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Apparently these tests will reach 97% of Canadians. That's pretty crazy coverage :o

4. BlackFire

Professional napper

Not me - my phone isn't compatible

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

If we ever face a national crisis, I'm sure someone will let you know :rofl:

6. LMAC

_

I'm kinda disappointed i didn't go in to the office today, just too see people reaction when everyone's cell starts going off at the same time..

7. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/emergency-system-fails-first-test-in-quebec-1.3917976

Emergency system fails first test in Quebec

A CRTC spokeswoman says a glitch in the new national public alert system for mobile devices affected the entire province of Quebec this morning.

Patricia Valladao says the problem did not originate with cellphone service providers.

She says the snafu appears to have occurred between emergency management in Quebec and Pelmorex Corp., which operates the system.

Test signals were to be sent to millions of mobile users in Quebec around mid-morning and across Ontario in mid-afternoon.

In Quebec, the test was scheduled for 9:55 a.m., while the test in Ontario is still planned for 1:55 p.m.

Valladao points out that at least it was just a test and not a real emergency.

Depending on settings, users with compatible devices connected to an LTE network would hear a tone similar to an ambulance alarm or feel a vibration for eight seconds. Devices that are turned off won't receive the signal but phone users will hear their conversations interrupted by a sound similar to a call-waiting tone.

8. LMAC

_

I'll let you know if i get anything

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Guess it's good they are testing the system.

10. LMAC

_

Nothing yet

11. Scott

rawr

guessing you missed it. Ontario was 1:55

12. LMAC

_

you know I'm in ottawa and its eastern time 1hr behind you

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  13. Scott

rawr

right. so it was still after 2pm your time when you posted you never got it.

14. LMAC

_

right so i didn't miss it...it just never happened haha

15. LMAC

_

Well i looked in to it more.. i'm on bell and a pixel isn't compatible with their system

16. Scott

rawr

gross. Koodo and my Pixel XL is good to go.

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Good on Telus as well. Surprised Bell isn't compatible. They sell the phones :rofl:

18. Scott

rawr

I looked at the list. Pretty small. Odd indeed

19. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/eme...t-in-quebec-hit-and-miss-in-ontario-1.3917976

Emergency system fails first test in Quebec, hit and miss in Ontario

A glitch in the new national public alert system for mobile devices affected the entire province of Quebec on Monday, said a CRTC spokeswoman, while in Ontario the test warning messages appeared to be hit and miss.

Shortly after the test was scheduled to reach mobile devices in Ontario, at 1:55 p.m. ET, social media was flooded with messages from people confirming they had received the signal, others who had not and still others who appeared startled or even surprised by it.

"I forgot that we were getting that emergency alert testing on our phones," wrote one Twitter user, going only by Mary.

"But I got forcibly reminded, all right. And there is not enough hot chocolate in the world to calm me down right now."

Another Twitter user, Brent Morris, wrote that some people at his office got the alert on their phones, but he didn't.

"I guess if the world ends, I'm the last to know," he quipped.

For those who did receive it the message read, in part, "This is a test of Ontario's Alert Ready System. There is no danger to your health or safety."

In Quebec, where the test did not go as planned shortly before 10 a.m., the problem did not originate with cellphone service providers but appears to have occurred between emergency management in the province and Pelmorex Corp., which operates the system, said the CRTC's Patricia Valladao.

"The alerts are actually coming from the emergency management in the region and then it goes to Pelmorex," Valladao said.

In an email to The Canadian Press, Pelmorex issued a statement explaining what happened.

"A space incorrectly included in the coding prevented the Alert Ready System from sending the Quebec test message to compatible wireless devices earlier this morning," it read, adding the misconfiguration was quickly corrected.

The statement also pointed out the Quebec test "did broadcast successfully on TV and radio."

In Ontario, the test alerts were also expected to be broadcast across TV and radio airwaves, but in some cases no messages were seen on TV screens.

Valladao pointed out at least it was just a test and not a real emergency. "That's why they were running tests -- to see if something went wrong."

Depending on settings, users with compatible devices connected to an LTE network were expected to hear a tone similar to an ambulance siren or feel a vibration for eight seconds. Devices that were turned off would not receive the signal but phone users receiving the alerts would have heard their conversations interrupted by a sound similar to a call-waiting tone.

The tests were being conducted after the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission ordered wireless providers to implement the system to distribute warnings of imminent safety threats, such as tornadoes, floods, Amber Alerts or terrorist threats.

A similar system is already used in the United States and made headlines earlier this year when an emergency official in Hawaii mistakenly sent an alert about a potential incoming ballistic missile.

A report issued last month by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission said the false alarm, which went uncorrected for 38 minutes after being transmitted and caused widespread panic across the Pacific islands state, was a result of human error and inadequate safeguards.

"The CRTC has no insights with respect to what occurred in Hawaii, other than what has been reported in the media," the regulator said.

But it added that Canada has safeguards in place to prevent false signals from being distributed to mobile devices.

Unlike wireless emergency alerts issued in the United States, Canada's system requires a specific vibration cadence, alert tone and banner to notify users of an emergency.

As well, the emergency alerts are not text -- or SMS -- messages, but are distributed using what's known as cell broadcast technology. The messages can't be tracked by service providers so they can't tell who has or has not received the alert, the CRTC said.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  20. LMAC

_

ya its pretty funny actually

21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

22. Nick84

Worked :cool:

23. C. Mike Hunt

24. Scott

rawr

I died, no worky :lol:

4 people in the office, no one got it. 2 Bell, a fido and Koodo.

25. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You're using an out of province account. You were probably meant to get it Monday via Quebec?

26. Scott

rawr

nah, shouldnt matter. Its based on where you are.

27. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

ahhh ok. Guess the cost of using a discount carrier is your life in an emergency :rofl:

28. Scott

rawr

:lol:

29. C. Mike Hunt

I'm with Koodo and it worked...

30. hank

I didn't get an alert. Office was around 75% alerted.

31. chainsaw

Myself and oldest daughter got it, wife did not. All with Bell. Came through on my work phone also and it was reading it aloud (voice message) came through, scared the shit out of me lol Damn phone started talking to me :p

32. Duggan

Got one today

33. Sue

Sue

Got one this afternoon and it just went off again. My husband and kids never got any at all though.

34. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Hmmm, I wonder if they've ranked who's worth saving?

Sue, chainsaw, Scott and 1 other person like this.
  35. Grifter

Bluh?

Got one as scheduled today.