PSA: Doug Gordon - Photographer

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Getson, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Getson

Getson
    [OP]

A friend of mine has been basically harassed by him for a long time. He begs her to shoot her nude. She's told him no serveral times and to leave her alone. He comes back every few months apparently asking the same thing, basically saying anything to get her to take her clothes off for him. Now I don't know his side of the story, but he seems like a greasy SOB from what I've heard.

People like this, assuming her side of the story is accurate, is not good for our image.

2. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

I'm not sure trashing him publicly on a forum by name when you don't know both sides to the story is the best course of action. I know what you're saying, but still.

3. The Stig

I've actually heard similar things.

4. CTMFC

as did I...I do believe name dropping could be bad...but when it's something sleazy then I think people should be warned. Thanks for the heads-up Getson.

5. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

Is this the 'paperwork in order' guy?

6. mrlarter

I've never heard of him, but thanks for the heads up.

7. Andrew

Social Worker To Be..

If this thread was about user on here it would be removed I can imagine. Besides its pretty cheap on your own part I think.

8. HoneyB

Insatiated

I think Getson was just looking for someone elses POV on this guy, but I can see how this could potentially bite him in the ass, by posting his name. Perhaps the name can be removed from the thread?

9. shaun

Freedom 27

No, people like that need to be exposed.

Planter89 likes this.
  10. essenmeinstuff

Bubba is home

:lol:

this is a photography forum so I guess puns are allowed :hsugh:

11. CTMFC

agreed...as long as Getson can trust the person he heard this from and by the way it sound he can.

12. The Stig

pwnd

13. Getson

Getson
    [OP]

Like I said, I don't know his side of the story, and if he sees this post, he's more than welcome to share it and I'm sure we'll all listen. He's more than entitled to say his side. But more than one person saying or hearing similar things about him....well, draw your own conclusions.

14. Getson

Getson
    [OP]

Just a follow up to this thread. I received an email from a woman who was contacted by Doug Gordon. She got an uneasy feeling, so she did a search for him and came across this thread. With her permission, here is what she said to me:

And another one:

She has taken it upon herself to avoid Mr. Gordon after their last conversation.

15. Crandall

I think it's that magical hour that we put him on that nice sexual offenders list!

Planter89 likes this.
  16. DamianP

I

Those being harrassed can nicely ask him to **** off, and if he doesn't, get a cease-and-desist letter sent to him. If he continues to harrass after receiving the C&D letter, he can be legally prosecuted.

17. Mj69

i actually had this problem with this doug fella that ya r all talkin about :/ i decided to search him online and i found all of this.. its dated back a few yrs which kinda bothers me even more that he has been doin the same thing to woman for this long! the guy is a sleeze ball! he wasnt at all professionally about his photography! i dont know much about it myself! but i wouldnt pose as one so i can try to get perverted pictures from woman! i found him to be a little shady ..when i askd for the few pics he did take of me he made excuses of why i couldnt see them ..and argued with me to do sexual photos with him and other random sexual things!...and thats why i had to make my comment here ...i hope that people do see his name and if ever get approched by him to walk away ....i know i wish i did!

18. Cody

Wow, creepy.

19. Susie_q31

20. aruthm

Definitely do not delete this thread. I was just sitting outside my apartment in PEI...and Doug rolls by with NS plates...throws the car in reverse and parks outside my apartment...gets out of his car & approaches me. I was expecting him to be looking for directions somewhere. He proceeded to propose taking modeling shots of me. My boyfriend is a photographer anyways...but it was obvious this guy definitely didn't have good intentions. I told him just to give me his card...& he said he had paperwork for me. He insisted on getting information from me...thankfully, my boyfriend rolled up at the same time & Doug was extremely uncomfortable talking to him as I had already told him I didn't think my boyfriend would think this was a real wise idea. Amazing how you can right back and Google this guy's name and confirm your suspicions.

21. SillySunshine

I met Doug Gordon last year on a dating site called Plenty of Fish. He had himself down as Doug Consulting. He approached me about doing photos but I was not very keen on it. He continued to ask me but I had body issues so did not want to. I recently had surgery and was not as reluctant to have my pics done so I agreed. However, like all her have said the pics he wanted got more and more explicit without him wanting to show me any of them.

I was so dumb to do the shoot without checking him out. I only searched him now because a friend asked me if I had. I hope this helps others to avoid him and not make the same mistake.

If you have any advice on how to get those pictures or have them destroyed I would appreciate it.

22. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I'd say the only option is a call to the police. On the surface you sent him the pictures so you're probably out of luck, but it also sounds like you sent them under false pretenses. That might be your only recourse. Yes you sent them but is it a case of not doing your research or were you tricked. Sounds like a bit of both. The police might be interested in hearing about it.

23. SillySunshine

I didn't send him the pictures, I modeled for him...I believed him legit.

24. SillySunshine

If his name had been removed then someone looking to do background on him would never know he is not a real photographer and that he had done this with other women.

Planter89 likes this.
  25. N / A

It doesn't sound like he has actually done anything wrong other then harass people, if that is the case then call the police and say you are being harassed. That is about all you can do

26. shaun

Freedom 27

One thing that could be done is a Google Image search of the images in question... just to see if he's actually using them in some way. I doubt a model release was ever signed...

27. Bean

Breasts

Wow. I just noticed this thread got more attention this year and last. The person Getson was talking about in 2008 was me. I dealt with Doug and his harassment (aka showing up at my place of work and constantly emailing me, calling me, etc) for almost a yr and a half. He sat down with me once with his portfolio and showed me pics and had paperwork and contracts to sign, etc.

I haven't heard from him in years...so glad my story is over. As for SillySunshine's position.....dear lord. I don't even know what to say. I remember when we was "soliciting" me, he was saying I could bring a female friend to the photoshoot but no boyfriends because they tend to get jealous of him and his method of photography. I am not even sure how to direct you or what to say in regards to your situation. I wish you luck. And to others..stay clear.

28. Bean

Breasts

He did have model releases back in 08. That much I remember.

29. SillySunshine

No model release was signed. How do I search to see if pictures are being used? I wouldn't mind releasing some of them too him, there are just a few that I am VERY concerned about. I am a naive person and I am ashamed that I didn't know better.

30. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

So why would you want to let him use any?

31. Bean

Breasts

I would contact him. Despite him being creepy and just out to lunch and maybe borderline stalkerish....he was always willing to accept a call. See if you can reason with him if at all.

32. SillySunshine

Retraction

I retract what I wrote regarding Doug Gordon. He was willing to meet with me several times until we were both satisfied with the outcome. The modeling experience helped me with body issues and he has paperwork that is designed to protect the model and pictures. He is sensitive to the use of various pics and only pics released by the model will be. I don't agree that asking someone to model a few times is harassing. I liked the photos that vere taken very much and he agreed to provide me with all that I wanted.

33. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

So are you dating him now or did lawyers call you?

34. Bean

Breasts

So by the sounds of it, you reasoned with him and were able to come to a mutual agreement on the photos. That's good to hear. Still seems really odd that you felt he was harassing in nature and now all of a sudden he's great.

35. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

I think Cheddar has it right.