1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Problem

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by SilverMan, Feb 7, 2005.

1. SilverMan

SilverMan
    [OP]
    The Spud

My PS2 started acting up. This one was purchased when they first came out. It is having problems reading discs. When you put one in the tray you wait and wait and wait.....sometimes it will read the disc and sometimes not. Sometime it will have trouble reading the discs while you are playing a game. Anyone else ever have this problem? How do you fix it? Cost?

Thanks

2. One_Trick_Pony

former RC member.

super easy fix dude.... most likely your laser lens is dirty...best bet is to unscrew all the screws under the little black squares , flip it over so its right side up and pop the top off.... careful cause the wires for the power and reset are attached to the top cover. inside you see another cover over the disc tray, unscrew the minature screws that hold down the cover and pop it off now you can see the laser lens. Then just take a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol and GENTLY wipe off the lens.... reverse the process and try it.... it should work!!

I was having trouble with my GTA san andreas.... my ps2 would load and play fine until it needed to load something and i would get a disk read error... i cleaned my lens and never had a problem yet....
    good luck!!

3. SilverMan

SilverMan
    [OP]
    The Spud

DUH!! Should have thought of that! I'm having a brain freeze today :)

Thanks man, I'll try that when I get home from work.

4. Benedict

Formerly Topdawgg

its not a dirty lens
    its common with the older ps2 systems..

i had mine since the first batch of them, and mine did it also... its an easy fix, but its not dirt on the lens.. the laser needs allignment...

i can fix it for you if you want, i fixed mine

5. PimpScort

Teh piMp of Scortz

Sorry to disagree ryan. but i bought my ps2 the day it came out from walmart. (stayed up all night at walmart for it too) My was doing that for the longest time and finally a friend too it and he did all that. he didn't use alcohol on it. but he did wipe it off with a q-tip. worked perfect for 2 months. now it will be like a month or so and it will start to act up . i give it a wipe and i am good for a while again.

6. Omerta