Profs v2

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Skater003, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Skater003

Skater003
    [OP]

All year I have had a kick ass chem prof, but she recently went out on maternity leave. We get this new chick who was hired by the university to do research, which is great, but she can't teach!!! She knows her shit don't get me wrong, but I can not learn from her at all. Go to write the midterm this morning, fail b/c the test was on shit that we didn't have questions on and I know there was info missing. A lot of people I have been hearing from said the same thing and even one of the smartest guys I know said the same thing. It really frusterates me when a prof comes in with no teaching skills and tries to teach and then it ends up fucking the whole class up. Especially when we were used to an awesome teacher who could teach and knew her shit. I understand why, but in the long run, its not good for the class.

2. ingress

_

it's always the profs fault when you fail

if situations change you need to adapt

3. Elcoopto

I love these comments.

Awaiting Muricane to post and tell us how well he did in Uni.

4. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

All profs are hired to research, teaching is what they are forced to do so they can get paid to research.

5. ingress

_

less of this [​IMG] and more of this [​IMG]

6. Skater003

Skater003
    [OP]

hahaha nice call, but I did that my first year of uni, failed so I learned from my mistakes!!!

If you only knew how much work I actually do spend...I have no life other than school...I mean I am doing 2 fucking degrees..BA/BSc so I think I can say I have no time to drink

7. Zombietech

So a pic from christmas break shows you that she has been drinking all the time and not studying??

8. visual_kool

IF there is an fact an issue with the prof and IF you can get enough people together with some proof (not people that are just pissing an moaning), then go to the dean and lay out your arguement.

9. ingress

_

BA in ? BSC in ?

10. Big Al

You must go to UNB, I couldn't even figure out what language half the profs I had were speaking there. I promptly changed, and for the better!

11. Shellie

Team Suzuki

Best option. If it isn't an issue with the prof then you will have to change your style of learning/studying.

12. unidentifiable

meow

Best advice thus far:
    when situations change, you need to adapt.

we're learning about this in psyc, when you fail something it's the teachers fault. in uni, it's too bad so sad, pull up your socks.
    maybe you have too much work bit off than you can handle?

13. Skater003

Skater003
    [OP]

Going to pick my possible majors in 2 weeks...was thinking chem and philosophy

Yeah I go to UNB; it has been great here so far. I had the same problem at StFX, and plus I didnt go to class and I didnt do my work haha

Well, I have been trying to adapt, but I was out for a week when she first started b/c my grandfather passed away so I am still trying.

I already dropped a course this semester, but I think I am just trying to get my feet back on the ground with things. I am not blaming me failing on the prof, but I am not the only one has said the same as me. Its just when someone doesn't have the teaching experience and then they throw them in, I would assume they don't have a clue how exactly to write a godo test. (Considering one fo the chapters covered, she didn't teach us it)

I don't know...yes, I will have to adapt because there is sweet fuck all I can do, but its worth a good rant haha

14. Skater003

Skater003
    [OP]

Thats a good idea. I know a few probably are just moaning around, but I know some aren't so we'll see how shit goes.

15. thunder

my av is me

If everyone in the class took a nose dive once a new professor took over, chances are it isn't the students' fault. Unless you can learn from secondary materials and ace the exams... which often is not the case if the class is worth shit.

16. thunder

my av is me

What are you learning in psychology? That people attribute the causes of their successes and failures to internal and external forces, etc?

Just because people tend to attribute bad performance to external forces does not mean that in this particular case, it is not the result of a shitty professor that the students are doing badly. It could be the students fault, the professors, some external cause, or some combination.

17. Elcoopto

Uhhhh did you not see what ingress wrote?

It is clearly her.

18. thunder

my av is me

I get fucking shitfaced and whatnot too... and I have fucking amazing grades. Jerk.

19. Codith

I have tons of profs that shouldn't be profs, they know their shit, but reading off powerpoint slides word for word doesn't exactly inspire a student, sadly probably more than 50% of my teachers fit this bill. If I were to graph my grades in correlation with how they taught, you would definitely see a major difference

20. Omerta

No shit. But that is a quality service you are buying from the university :ugh2:

21. thunder

my av is me

Fucking word. I HATE the fact that all you need is a PhD to teach. A PhD does NOT mean you know dick about teaching effectively. UofC is especially bad as it is clearly research based. I'm lucky because psychology professors seem to be, on average, better able to teach (maybe because they understand learning principles, cognitive processes, etc?)... but my sister did a science degree here and said it was hell.

22. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Universities make money by having students. They get students by having a good reputation. They get a good reputation because of the research they produce.

Therefore, they make money based on the research they get and will hire a great researcher before a great teacher.

23. Skater003

Skater003
    [OP]

These are all very good points, but super depressing. It really pisses me off! I guess it just all depends on the prof and the uni.