Potentially new car time

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Apr 6, 2020.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

We're a one car family. Currently have a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan which we bought as the family mobile but also because it had just enough towing capacity to pull our pop up trailer. We're going to be selling the trailer (kids are more interested in tent camping now) and my son is almost old enough to get his learner's permit so we're thinking about getting a new vehicle (the son learning to drive part is applicable because Seattle streets are small and narrow and the van is big).

As usual, my wife and I start out at opposite ends of a spectrum.

She wants an SUV with a 3rd row of seating. I've pointed out that we need "adult capable" third row seating which puts us into an SUV class that's pretty much as big as the van. She wants the flexibility the van gives us to take along extra people on trips at times.

I'm on board with an SUV as I like the higher seating but it's not a necessity. We go up into the mountains a fair bit both in summer and winter so some good power as well as AWD are a must (tired of putting chains on). Subaru is by far the dominant vehicle in Seattle as the versatility is hard to beat for conditions around here.

Looking now only because I was talking to a friend who is in management at the local Subaru/VW dealership - he says with the way sales are going, there are going to be tons of deals coming up to get things moving again. Subaru is already offering 0% financing right now.

Idle thoughts from the RC crowd?

2. Scott

rawr

Tesla model X?

Nick84 likes this.
  3. LMAC

_

Subaru is probably your best bet really.

4. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

so i assume you're thinking new correct? yeah t he 0% should be a standard across the board for the next little while with most brands. And a 6 month payment deferral is also becoming common.
    We were kind of in the same boat as you a month ago, and was considering the Atlas (3rd row seating) but i think it looks like a steaming pile of puke, so we went with a late model Touareg. If you want to a good deal on something 3rd row seating , its a used Q7 TDI (final produciton 2016). they are balls cheap right now.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I've had two friends with Subaru's have nightmare experiences. One, I would have said it was a fluke lemon, two and I start to question things.

If I was buying a new vehicle anytime in the next 3 years, I'd be looking at a Tesla. Do they have chargers in the mountains? lol

6. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I’m not joking when I say almost everyone in Seattle drives a Subaru. It’s kind of nuts.

I’m not buying a Tesla for my son to drive but you do see a ton of those around here as well, including up in the mountains.

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I can't believe he's gonna be driving. Think you'd get him a car of his own at some point or going to stick with one ride?

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

We have not really talked too much about it. He’s only 15 but you can get your learner’s permit when you’re 15 here. One restricting factor with him having a car is that we can’t park in our driveway so having two cars parked on the street jams things up. We all also have access to public transit so a second car is overkill even once he has his license. So... probably not.

I told him if he reads the driving manuals and can complete some of the online tests, I’d take him for some driving lessons in some of the empty parking lots.

Boots likes this.
  9. Wayne

CPO Volvo XC90, looks great, huge warranty, comfortable, 2.0 is really fuel efficient yet zippy

10. Wayne

I love both my Volvo's, even the old beater is better than some new cars I've been in recently.

XC60 is a little smaller if you don't need 3rd row

11. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Ok, after a camping trip up into the mountain roads this weekend, I convince my wife we're looking for a larger SUV - Honda Pilot, Volvo XC90, Subaru Ascent, Toyota Highlander, Kia Telluride... list goes on.

The tipping points - out Dodge Caravan isn't built for the roads we're on - more applicable to a Jeep - loads of pot holes, ruts, washouts, etc. so clearance is an issue. Then there is just the fact that there are 4 of us and we take a lot of gear when we're car camping at least and then in the winter, having a 3rd row to bring extra folks when we go skiing is always just a great option.

So... thoughts?

WayneWayne - like the look of the Volvo but it's a price tag above everything else I've started looking at.

12. *Jani*

Blinky

We bought a 2019 pilot (black edition) when we found out the latest little was arriving. While I may not be able to talk to all the mechanical Mumbo jumbo, I can tell you this:
    -very comfortable to drive and be a passenger
    -tv in back is worth it’s weight in gold (3 year old on road trip?) no experience with other entertainment systems but would be better if front passenger could See a preview screen to select from Blu-ray menu.
    -3rd row seating is decent, I have sat in the back a few times to test out comfort. I’m 5’8 and my knees touch. Don’t know that I’d want to go on a 10 hour drive like that, but totally acceptable for shorter trips.
    - will tow 2500lbs or 5000 if you add a towing something or other.
    -good cargo room when 3rd row is folded down.

13. 17

teenage dirtbag

My mom is thinking about trading her Sorrento SXL for a Telluride and it is SHOCKINGLY nice. Surprised the shit out of me on the inside

14. Wayne

Yeah, only way to buy a Volvo is CPO, good interest rates, full warranty and low mileage. Volvo's first year depreciation is sharp, then goes pretty flat again for quite awhile.

I honestly have no experience with any of those options, but sister in law has a new Highlander and likes it a lot. Has two young kids. I personally really like the look of the Telluride.

15. Lex Lucas

feels good.

I'm looking at getting the VW Atlas Cross Sport in the next few months. Waiting to see what incentives come out, if any. If you want the 3rd row, look at the regular Atlas

16. 17

teenage dirtbag

Saw my first one the other day, what a great looking suv

Lex Lucas likes this.
  17. LMAC

_

the palisade is supposed to be nicer believe it or not.

18. 17

teenage dirtbag

The outside of the palisade is love it or hate it, but I hate it with those big LED “tusks”

LMAC likes this.
  19. LMAC

_

yes its fucking ugly.. the one thing that bothers me about the Telluride is the rear turn signals are in the bumper and not in the massive break lights where only 1/4 of it lights up.. so now you bump your bumper or someone hits it its like a 3000 dollar repair lol

20. Smokey

I know you ball pretty hard, so I'd say a GLE 63 AMG or an E63S AMG Wagon

21. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

yeah they did a good job on the cross sport. Miles a head of the regular Atlas

22. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

LOL. The scary thing around Seattle is just how many of these luxury vehicles you see everywhere, especially if you spend time in areas like the “east side” - lots of “Microsoft money”. I normally bike to work (when the office was open). On the rare occasion I drove, I always laughed pulling up in my dodge minivan with a sticker on the back that states “Condoms Prevent Minivans” and park next to the multitude of Tesla’s, Mercedes, etc.

23. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Fun day test driving today.

Toyota Highlander - biggest thing was I felt extremely cramped. I would also just describe it as boring. My wife really wanted this one to be better because it was the only option we were looking at that had a hybrid but, nope.

Subaru Ascent - man, this was fun to drive. It was the one vehicle that during the test drive, I asked my wife if I could take a second turn behind the wheel. There is some stuff about the interior I didn’t like but I think partly because we were not driving the trim level we wanted. It is definitely built for all the reasons we want it.

Kia Telluride - Interior was nice but felt a little but like it was trying too hard. The layout of the vehicle overall was perfect, though. Too bad it drove like a pig. My wife could even tell from the passenger seat that it was gross to drive and we took it back without her even taking a turn behind the wheel.

Honda Pilot - Wow, loved this. It drove almost as well as the Subaru but the interior felt like an upgrade in some areas. I remember having the same feeling when we bought our Fit years ago.

So, we’re between the Subaru and the Honda. Both look like great options. I think we’ll land with the Subaru mostly because we’ll get a better deal guaranteed. Not only do the deals they have going right now blow Honda out of the water, the GM of the dealership is a friend and is bending over backwards to get me a deal.

24. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

What year Pilot?

25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

26. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

They were all 2020.

Boots likes this.
  27. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Amazing deals on new cars right now.

28. Smokey

Go drive one, you probably won't leave without it

29. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

just googled the Ascent as i had no idea what it was. Like a bigger brother to the Forester, nice looking rig!

30. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

upload_2020-6-14_13-51-58.png

31. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Ha! Close - our van is dark grey and it’s a magnet not a sticker. People take pictures of it all the time. I think it was while we are at the Subaru dealership yesterday and we were getting the low down on the Ascent, I looked over and someone was taking a picture of the back of our van.

32. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Apparently there is even a hashtag - did a search on that on Instagram and found out van:

9DCE8968-23D7-4604-BDDC-7526EDADDC2F.png

The Canada and East Coast Lifestyle stickers give it a way.

33. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

You overestimate how much I’m willing to spend on a car

34. Grifter

Bluh?

Signed the line yesterday to trade my Titan in. Waiting on the new truck to be delivered to the dealer. :rockon:

35. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Took the Ascent out for a good 5 hours today - really wanted to take it up in the mountains before making a call. Sold on it completely now.

Also sold on Apple Car Play.