Potentially new car time

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Apr 6, 2020.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

We're a one car family. Currently have a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan which we bought as the family mobile but also because it had just enough towing capacity to pull our pop up trailer. We're going to be selling the trailer (kids are more interested in tent camping now) and my son is almost old enough to get his learner's permit so we're thinking about getting a new vehicle (the son learning to drive part is applicable because Seattle streets are small and narrow and the van is big).

As usual, my wife and I start out at opposite ends of a spectrum.

She wants an SUV with a 3rd row of seating. I've pointed out that we need "adult capable" third row seating which puts us into an SUV class that's pretty much as big as the van. She wants the flexibility the van gives us to take along extra people on trips at times.

I'm on board with an SUV as I like the higher seating but it's not a necessity. We go up into the mountains a fair bit both in summer and winter so some good power as well as AWD are a must (tired of putting chains on). Subaru is by far the dominant vehicle in Seattle as the versatility is hard to beat for conditions around here.

Looking now only because I was talking to a friend who is in management at the local Subaru/VW dealership - he says with the way sales are going, there are going to be tons of deals coming up to get things moving again. Subaru is already offering 0% financing right now.

Idle thoughts from the RC crowd?

2. Scott

rawr

Tesla model X?

Nick84 likes this.
  3. LMAC

_

Subaru is probably your best bet really.

4. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

so i assume you're thinking new correct? yeah t he 0% should be a standard across the board for the next little while with most brands. And a 6 month payment deferral is also becoming common.
    We were kind of in the same boat as you a month ago, and was considering the Atlas (3rd row seating) but i think it looks like a steaming pile of puke, so we went with a late model Touareg. If you want to a good deal on something 3rd row seating , its a used Q7 TDI (final produciton 2016). they are balls cheap right now.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I've had two friends with Subaru's have nightmare experiences. One, I would have said it was a fluke lemon, two and I start to question things.

If I was buying a new vehicle anytime in the next 3 years, I'd be looking at a Tesla. Do they have chargers in the mountains? lol

6. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I’m not joking when I say almost everyone in Seattle drives a Subaru. It’s kind of nuts.

I’m not buying a Tesla for my son to drive but you do see a ton of those around here as well, including up in the mountains.

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I can't believe he's gonna be driving. Think you'd get him a car of his own at some point or going to stick with one ride?

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

We have not really talked too much about it. He’s only 15 but you can get your learner’s permit when you’re 15 here. One restricting factor with him having a car is that we can’t park in our driveway so having two cars parked on the street jams things up. We all also have access to public transit so a second car is overkill even once he has his license. So... probably not.

I told him if he reads the driving manuals and can complete some of the online tests, I’d take him for some driving lessons in some of the empty parking lots.

Boots likes this.
  9. Wayne

CPO Volvo XC90, looks great, huge warranty, comfortable, 2.0 is really fuel efficient yet zippy

10. Wayne

I love both my Volvo's, even the old beater is better than some new cars I've been in recently.

XC60 is a little smaller if you don't need 3rd row