1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop Question

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by brokenhat, Feb 22, 2009.

1. brokenhat

brokenhat
    [OP]

I was watching a how-video the other day and it showed using the spot healing/clone tool in adobe camera raw. I use Lightroom for this, but was a bit surprised that this would be done there and not in a Photoshop itself using a layer. Is there an advantage to do this kind of editing in Camera Raw or is this just a personal preference?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. Marc Oliver

ACR's cloning abilities aren't as advanced as Photoshop's but the plus side is that it just gets written into the metadata as an instruction set that only adds a few kb's to the file whereas adding a layer in Photoshop will nearly double your file size. The other big advantage is that you can easily 'sync' your adjustments in ACR/Lightroom across multiple files - say you have a series of 5 portraits with the same dust spot in the bg - do your spotting & adjustments once, select all 5 files and hit the 'Syncronize' button and you're done. If your images are similar enough ,you could just copy & paste layers in PS, but it's faster in ACR.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

In Photoshop you can clone on an empty layer above the image (sample current and below) - this will keep the overall file size down.

4. HatMan

Pentaxian Extraordinaire

Yup. I agree. I only use LR for basic spot removal and if there's one or two zits to remove. Anything beyond that goes to PS.